I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

glue for birch bark
Posted by: billy broderick (---.scr.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 17, 2012 06:18PM

I am building my first birch bark handle for a 4 weight fly rod. Its my first birch bark and it will be sandwiched in ebony and cocobollo with checkerboard of the same in the center. My question is this the RM article says to use slow cure epoxy to glue. I usually use tightbond 3 for wood glue up. Is there a reason for the epoxy? Perhaps it gets obsorbed more by the bark? or drys stiffer to prevent cracking? Just trying to figure out if there is any reason to use it over tightbond? Thank you for the advice. Billy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: glue for birch bark
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2012 06:28PM

I have used titebond for years with birch bark and have not had any problems. be aware that birch handles are very brittle without a mandrel supporting them and will take Very little lateral pressure to break. they are fine once they are on the rod.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 17, 2012 06:29PM

Titebond should be fine. Make sure to scuff the surface of the cocobolo prior to applying glue. Wood will oxidize just like other materials and you want to expose a fresh surface. It also won't hurt to wipe the cocobolo surface with alcohol to reduce the high resin content at that point prior to gluing.

Posted by: Steve Cox (50.80.11.---)
Date: January 18, 2012 11:59AM

I want to second what John said about the lateral weakness of birchbark. Once it is all glued up it takes very little lateral pressure to snap it. When I am doing ther final reaming for a birch handle, I tape it long way and also wrap it spirally with masking tape. It is a beautiful, solid handle when finally glued up on a rod.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2012 05:14PM

A really nice way to use birch rings - alone or in combination with other type rings, is to glue the birch and any other rings on the blank.

Then, spin the entire blank, using a full length rod lathe. That way, you don't run the risk of having to move the handle and breaking the handle during the move from mandrel to the rod blank.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Torin Koski (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 18, 2012 10:18PM

That's almost scary Roger. I never really liked the thought of using a blank as a mandrel turning at a high enough speed and power to turn a grip from scratch. Your more confident than I am, that's for sure. I actually prefer to glue up rough sections of squares to create blocks about 1 1/4" thick, matching face to face and back to back grain patterns at 90 degrees difference between each mounting surface. I prefer to use epoxy because it becomes a grip that is bonded in an absolutely water-proof resin. I feel that the thermal reaction that occurrs while the epoxy starts curing helps create a better bond and "squezes" the epoxy further into gaps . I have no substantial evidence to support this, but it's confidence in the bait your using that catches to most fish. I actually have'nt had as much durability using titebond (but I only used it on a seat insert that easily broke twice), but it leaves a better visual than the epoxy - i will give it that. For me, epoxy has won in the durability (and confidence) department. I always use the slow setting epoxy too. You need the time to carefully match your pieces together.

From here it's easier for me to turn out a half dozen small cylinders and square them up on a table sander. This way I've got a more symetrical block to square up the ends. Try to square up the more "wooded" sides of the bark - it's easier if you remember to leave your blocks with the wood side of the outer "rings" exposed rather than the more rice-paper-layer sides. I find my birch grips have a bit more lateral support for the reaming process - but i'm also careful to encapsulate the grip in its finish of choice and a couple of layers of shrink wrap until it's on the blank glued up.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster