I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
fluorocarbon line?
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2012 08:02PM

Again I know this not a rod ?, but me and a friend had a discussion, about fluorocarbon fishing line, we know that it is really hard to see underwater.so thats one good point and its supposed to be very abrasion resistance, we both had tried it using some of the more expensive line of fluorocarbon and it worked great the first couple of times, then one day it got very brittle .I guess you would say, and I lost 2 pretty big bass, my friend lost one, he said that it was the heat of the summer days, I agreed. Has anyone had these kind of breaks or your line going brittle after a few days of fishing with fluorocarbon., and what r your thoughts on using this type of line? Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fluorocarbon line?
Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2012 08:27PM

yes it will break down on you over time but not that fast. Seaguar Abrazx is the best i have found for the money. seaguar has a cheaper one called red label and is very good on spinning reels. lot of people like berkley but since pure @#$%& bought them out they aren't that good, just like abu penn and fenwick

Date: January 15, 2012 08:38PM

It was like 3 days off fishing in the summer sun before it started to break on us, and it was Berkley, on of the fluorocarbon lines, I guess i just got to try different ones till I find the one that works best for me.

Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 15, 2012 08:57PM

yea the berkley is gotten pretty bad with there stuff only thing i use of gulps and thats it. if you like other line like mono sufix pro mix is a great line supple and easy to handle

Date: January 15, 2012 09:15PM

I've been using P-Line the floroclear, its been really good to me, cast really great on my baitcasters, as far as Fluoro line, I haven't tries any more yet, but I think i will sometime. Thanks for the input, tight lines!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 15, 2012 10:47PM

Lorenzo,
Generally speaking, save the money. Use line that is inexpensive catches fish and doesn't have knot failures.

Remember, fish are not rocket scientists. Do you think that the fish are sitting there, see a line and put 1 and 27 together, come up with 28 and decide that that thing that is being dragged behind the line is an issue? Doubtful.

Most of the time, especially when jig fishing, we use high vis line - or very brightly colored very visible line with which to fish. We find that we get many more fish when we can see the line twitches of the highly visible line, than fish that we don't get because they shy away from the line.

Good wrapping.

by the way - some folks swear by some brands of Flor line. Others simply swear at floro line and its issues.

Roger

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: January 15, 2012 11:40PM

Roger, have you ever thrown a t-rig with flouro and tungsten? Do you know why guys use flourocarbon?

Lorenzo - are you breaking at the knot? If so, tighten slowly with lots of spit.

Posted by: Garry Thornton (---.natsow.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2012 12:27AM

Fluorocarbon line does not break down from ultra violet rays like mono does.
If your line was breaking after three trips, you have a different problem.
I would start by checking the tip guide for nicks or cracks.

I do a little guiding and most of the time, for myself and clients, I tie my 3/0 EWG hooks directly to 10 pound braid on spinning gear for Senko's etc.
For solid body frogs and toads I use 4/0 EWG hooks on # 20 mono on casting rods.
Because it floats!

For crank-baits I use 30 or 40 pound braid on casting rods.
Because I can pull most snags off without losing the bait.

The only time I want to use fluorocarbon is for Senko's on windy days...Because it sinks.
Garry2R's

Date: January 16, 2012 08:36AM

Chuck, i don't think it broke on the knot cause before I fished the lure I made sure the knot was well lubricated with spit and pulled hard on it to make sure, I remember reading where someone wrote that he fishes tournaments and he uses fluoro line and he changes it every time he goes out, caused the line gets brittle , cause of the weather and the sun, Can't remember the guys name but it wasn't to long ago.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 16, 2012 09:27AM

Lorenzo,

I fish with Fluorocarbon line exclusively and have tried about every brand out there.

A fishing buddy of mine had seen a line review on some web site and told me that Bass Pro Shops fluorocarbon line had ranked real high on the testing results. It costs a little less than some of the more expensive lines, (used to be cheaper than now), and runs $20 for 200 yards and $90.00 for 1000 yards...wow...I used to pay $70 for 1000 yards. They are proud of that stuff now!!

It still is less expense than some of the other premium lines and it is great line.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: January 16, 2012 10:20AM

Fluorocarbon does not have resiliency like monofilament does. Once it is stretched out on the first couple of fishing trips, it does not bounce back to it's original length and looses it's shock strength. It works great the first couple of days, but on subsequent trips many experience breaking problems. There may be a fluorocarbon with resiliency on the market, but expect to pay top dollar for it.

Posted by: Adam Curtis (74.7.62.---)
Date: January 16, 2012 02:20PM

I use flouro to braid exclusively and re-tie new leaders after every trip out or if I see or feel frays on the line while fishing - dont mess around. I would do it with mono too. You just cant ever know when that next tap is going to be a MAMA and you want your gear at its optimal level for what might ensue.

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2012 03:10PM

I was fishing for over 10 years with braid +fluorocarbon line( XPS from BASS PRO and SEAGUAR CARBON PRO )and i never have problem .If the fish broke my leader was because i don't pay attencion making the knot ,or was scratch on the bottom.

Posted by: Rick Ballard (209.60.72.---)
Date: January 16, 2012 04:13PM

Fluorocarbon line is very prone to breaks if you have gotten a kink in your line (backlashes?) or you cinch your knot to quickly without proper lubrication. I used to use it a lot, but now only use it for leaders and finesse applications (drop shot, shaky heads etc). Pline flouroclear is the worst of them. Seaguar INVIZIX is the best I have used on spinning tackle. Use the bass pro shops fluoro on baitcasting equipment when I use it. I have braid on most of my reels and if I am fishing very clear water and am fishing a bottom bait, I wil tie on a fluoro leader. Moving baits I leave at straight braid and can't tell a difference in my bites from when I threw fluoro.

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: January 16, 2012 04:41PM

I have tried fluorocarbon line for leaders and find that I catch just as many fish with mono. It's a lot cheaper; as well, C2

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 16, 2012 05:11PM

X2 Charlie,
My guess is that many of the proponents would stop using floro and went back to clear or colored mono depending on the condition that there would be little impact on their netted numbers of fish.
Of course, every situation is unique, so it is tough to put down a flat guidelie.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2012 05:36PM

I actually still use mono quite a bit. I like Stren MagnaThin 16# Clear Blue on most of my casting rods. Braid is on most of my spinning outfits, however.

Posted by: Adam Curtis (74.7.62.---)
Date: January 16, 2012 06:03PM

Line diameter is the true value in which all lines should be measured and by that braided line is king.

but....

Does the average mono/fluoro user have enough confidence to throw straight braided line for all applications? I've tried and hated it. Buddies of mine kill it on straight 8# braid.
What about super clear water? You have confidence throwing rope at em when vis. is 10-20ft?

Roger is right - every situation is unique and imo confidence trumps everything.

But to get back to the OP - Lorenzo, I would switch to braided backing so your not replacing full spools of line, then I would start switching out your leaders between trips. You will actually save money and be using the line at its peak performance.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: January 16, 2012 06:36PM

One thing to keep in mind. Flourocarbon is very dense. It sinks. Mono floats. This property is why flouro transmits strikes so much better. TT did many tests and found that some flouro is more visible than some mono, and some flouro stretches more than some mono. The key is the density. That's why you want it. Some people can't tell the difference between mono & flouro. I fought spending the money for a long time. When I tried some I was amazed at what I could feel! And, yes, it will make a difference in the livewell.

I won't mention the brands that I hated. I will say that the Seaguar Invisix has been good.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 16, 2012 08:43PM

Why not just go braid with a mono leader ??

Bill - willierods.com

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster