I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bream whitting popping rod blank
Posted by: Tristan Batho (---.ryqe1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 15, 2012 06:44AM

Hi guys I was wondering if there were any mhx blanks suitable for a popping rod for bream and whitting I'm looking for running 2-4lb line class and throwing 1-8grams lures around also wondering if anyone has used these blanks for this type of fishing
Cheers

Tristan
Sydney, NSW
Australia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bream whitting popping rod blank
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 15, 2012 10:56AM

The Batson XP/IP 840 was designed for your purpose and is available down your way. The Black Diamond line of rods were made on Batson blanks some years ago, though things may have changed now. I've seen quite a few Graphite USA B70LXF, now United Composites PU70LXF, bream rods down your way that were well regarded by their owners even though they were a more expensive choice.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2012 11:33AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Dave O'Brien (202.74.138.---)
Date: January 15, 2012 03:57PM

Tristan,

I have built a S781-MHX blank i find the tip is a little whippie but still works quite well for poppering whitting (haven't used it chasin bream yet) although my mate buit his father in law a SJ781-MHX (6-10lb) kit for chasin flatties and he throwin poppers almost as far.

Dave
Port Macquarie
Australia

Posted by: Tristan Batho (---.ryqe1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 16, 2012 06:02AM

hi spencer is that rod called a rx-7 ip840?? i cant find any other one cheers

Tristan
Sydney, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Chris Beverley (---.infinity.net.au)
Date: January 16, 2012 05:05PM

Plus 1 for the MHX S781. They make good squid rods too!!

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.pa.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: January 16, 2012 07:19PM

S781, S782, S842, SJ720, P842 should all be able to do that work with ease. With all the new models, plus high modulus, you have a big range to work with. I have been using the rx7 IP841 for all my saltwater ultralight work recently, and between that and my 840 I haven't had the need for another rod just yet. I will be building the p842-2 mhx for a friend in the next few weeks or so. We'll give that a thrash when barra season reopens. If flatties figure a lot in the catches I'd say try the P842-2.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 17, 2012 12:20AM

Tristan,
Batson has the RX8 XP 840, RX7 IP 840, and RX6 SP 840 popping rod blanks. Hope this helps you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster