I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

split reel seats
Posted by: scott stevens (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2012 12:29PM

I was reading the article in the last RM about the RF-Lite reel seat. The author suggest not using split reel seats on flipping sticks. I was wonder if anyone is using them on flipping sticks and what the results have been. It seems to me this would be one of the best applications for them since its a technique that you need the best sensitivity possible. Thank you Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: split reel seats
Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 12:52PM

A split-seat would be more sensitive. However, I don't think that sensitivity is a big factor for flipping - you are typically fishing with a short length of line, and a short length of line will tend to be more sensitive. You may also be holding the line which will also boost sensitivity. For a tournament, you just need something sensitive enough to prevent gut-hooking and killing fish. On the other hand, for recreational fishing, more sensitivity can be fun.

Also a split-seat might allow the blank to flex just enough for the reel to pop out for heavy-duty applications. That could be disastrous in a tournament.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2012 12:53PM by Gary Snyder.

Posted by: Hal Lambert (---.shv.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 12:57PM

I have used the split reel seats on several of my own flipping sticks. They have seen heavy use over the last 4 years and have not have a problem with this happening but I did see it happen on video at the Classic last year.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 01:24PM

The flip sticks Rich Forhan built for Gary Klein and other skilled tournament anglers are fish fish recovery devices.

Bite detection while lure on the fall was detected by angler sensory skills not related to the "sensitivity" of the blank used..

[rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2012 01:27PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.sub-174-252-133.myvzw.com)
Date: January 14, 2012 03:12PM

I don't use themm just from a comfort aspect. But, trying is usually the best way to figure it out.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 03:33PM

I am glad that there is a variety of "things" on the market for various folks to try - use - and either like or dislike.

After building many rods with many different reel seats, handle types etc. I have concluded that I certainly dislike split grip handles.
I also certainly dislike split reel seats. Incidentally, I certainly never found that rods built with a split reel seat were any more sensitive than a rod built with a conventional reel seat. But that is my own personal opinion. Each person is entitled to his own opinion on that subject.

My dislike is simply based on day long fishing comfort, as well as the inability to use split grips well in boat rod holders.

But, for those folks who want such a handle, or reel seat, I will be more than happy to build a rod with those components used in the build.

Take care
Roger

Date: January 14, 2012 05:38PM

Thank you Hal for answering my question. To all others thank you for your opinions on whether you like them or not. I'm going to build a flipping stick with the split reel seat and see if I like it. Never considered the comfort factor. Wish I could hold one before I build it.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2012 06:47PM

Scott,

Buy two seats, one full seat, one split, or chop up a full seat. Mock up the handle both ways and play with it for a bit. Then make your choice. It sure beats cutting the seat off later, but it might give you an excuse to build a whole new rod when you don't like the split seat :) My personal preference is, if I can't get away with an exposed blank 16mm seat, it's a full seat for me. Your mileage may vary.

Joe

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 07:34PM

Picture of a split and regular sent to Gary Klein for testing:

Large diameter Cranking Blanks. Size 18 seats.

This is a side by side comparison.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Mike Thompson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2012 09:48PM

I personally don't think its a bad thing to use a split reel seat on a Flippin Stick. For me it alloys me to get my hand wrapped around the reel better for a better grip on hook set because of the less material, the hand will wrap around the reel and blank better. A definite plus for small hands or cold weather. Sensitivity wise your not giving up anything between the two, as for this technique your watching the line more than trying to feel a bite. Its all called Flippin but most anglers actually pitch the baits but there are a few true Flippers out there. Don't think there will be a difference in split grip or full grip as far as comfort goes as you are always holding it by palming the reel, the handle is just put under your forearm for leverage on a heavy fish. But the extra weight using a full grip can help offset the tip weight on these longer blanks. But I have yet to see a Bass angler need a full grip on any rod just for putting into a rod holder, bass guys just don't do that, cat fisherman possibly?

Date: January 14, 2012 10:18PM

I personally like split grips on my flipping sticks and no, being a bass guy I never use rod holders. My concerns here are durability and the reel popping out on hard hook sets.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 10:35PM

Split grips I like. Split seats I like even more. ALL my rods carry both. Never once lost a reel. Seats are all castaway's that I split. Striped Bass have bent my rods back into the split of the grips! Still no reels lost. Comfort seems very good for me, I enjoy the feel of the rod and lack if the seat, but that is all personal preference stuff anyway.

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster