I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Slip rings for Ultra light handle
Posted by: Dan Murphy (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 11:29AM

Does anyone know where I can find a pair of inexpensive slip rings that have are not circular but that have the reel insert shaped into the ring? I am the adviser for our high school fishing club and we purchased a bunch of St Croix blanks- Cosmetic 2nds- A couple were only 5 feet long so I thought I would try and make a panfish rod out of these "shorties".
I have a Full Wells handle and I was going to cut it, put the rings on, and then glue it back up. Is this a bad idea? Or, should I just put on a regular small spinning handle?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Slip rings for Ultra light handle
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 11:45AM

Janns Netcraft and Mudhole I believe have quite a variety to choose from.

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 12:40PM

I'll admit I don't like the rings and usually use a Batson A16 seat - split with cork in the middle. The rings are typically lighter and more sensitive though. You can also tape the reel on.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 02:53PM

Dan I believe Angler's Workshop also carries slip rings. Many years ago slip rings were the only type of "reel seat" used on spinning rods. Since many if not most spinning rods that were built back in the 1950s and 1960s had long grips(12" to 15"), the idea was that one could move the position of the reel to alter your leverage. In practice I never found that to be terribly useful. When I used slip rings, I would shape the grip and glue it in place. Then I would slip the rings on and glue a butt cap on. Good luck with your project

Mike Blommme

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 03:38PM

Dan,
I would never use slip rings. As a matter of fact, if I happen to pick up a rod that has slip rings on the rod, I will use the dremel and cut them off of the rod.

Rather, I keep a roll of black electric tape in my tackle box.

I locate the location where I want to keep my reel positioned. Then, I will put two wraps of tape where each end of the reel foot will be located. Finally, I will just tape the reel to the handle. If I need to change a reel, work on a reel, or remove a reel, I will remove the tape down to the tape that is UNDER the foot of the reel. I leave this tape on the handle permanently. The reason that I do this, is that if you try to remove well adhered tape, you run the risk of chunking out the handle from the tapes adhesive properties.
If, when fishing, I find an issue with the tape, I add another wrap, or remove what is there, and rewrap the reel foot.

The two biggest reasons that I don't like to use the slip rings, is that
a. I can't trust them from not slipping so I usually end up taping the rings in place anyway.
b. I don't like the bump on both sides of the grip on both sides of the reel foot that you get, by using the slip rings to hold the reel to the handle.

Good luck

Roger

Posted by: Robert Metzger (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 04:16PM

I have a lot of the type you say you need. I would be more than happy to mail
you some for a project involving young people in rod building at no cost to you.
Please E- Mail me @ bobm0400@ optimum.net

Posted by: Dan Murphy (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: January 15, 2012 02:50PM

Thanks Everyone- My thought was to try and make a light weight in-expensive handle since these blanks are so short. (The kids quickly scarfed up the 6-7 foot blanks. I will probably make a hybrid slip ring system- Using the rings and then taping them in place.
I very much appreciate the tips, comments, and opinions.
Dan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster