I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

hook keeper on a casting rod.
Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 13, 2012 09:33PM

I am doing a repair on a casting rod. This is the first casting rod I have ever had in my hands. I have to keep telling myself "The guides go on top". The problem is: when I tore the rod down, I didn't pay attention to which way the hook keeper was located. Does the hook keeper go on the top with the guides, or does it go down?

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: hook keeper on a casting rod.
Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.vctrcmta01.vctatx.tl.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 13, 2012 09:35PM

Either down or off to the side.

Posted by: larry basilio (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 13, 2012 09:41PM

Mike, I like to put them on the top

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse4.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 13, 2012 10:17PM

Hi Mike,
My preference is to put the hookeeper down.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 12:02AM

Mike,
Consider how you would hold the rod and how you would fish.

Suppose that you have the rod in your hand that you normally use to hold the rod.

Now, with the rod having about 5 feet of slack, sweep the hook, jig or bait back toward you and grab the hook or bait with the free hand.

Now, in a smooth motion, take the hook, move it over to the rod and hook it into the hook keeper.

Where should the hook keeper be - for an easy and smooth hookup of the hook?

Not on the bottom, because, you have to lift the rod, in order to see the hook keeper to hook the hook into it.

Not on the top of the rod, because you run the risk of having the keeper in the way when casting.

So, now you are left with two possibilities, - on the right side or the left side of the rod.

Place it on the side of the rod that is on the side of the rod where the free hand grabs the bait.

I like to keep the keeper at least 3 or 4 inches in front of any fore grip, or reel seat. You don't want the hook keeper to ever be in contact with your hand when casting, or fishing. It needs to be completely out of the way and not to be touched accidentally when casting, fishing or retrieving.

Does this position of the hook keeper make sense to you?

Good luck

Roger

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 12:09AM

I vote down.

Posted by: Robert Metzger (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 07:41AM

I am rebuilding 2 old Ferrulite Fenwick rods, one with Carboly guides, keeping on (schmutz cleaned by a Jeweler),
the other with ceramic guides at owners request. Both have Hook Keepers on Right side of rod.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 07:48AM

Hook Keeper?

What style? open closed, drops shot, ring

Bass Fisherman?

What lure tip up or tip down?

Does he cast (roll, side arm, skip, roll, zip), pitch, flip, .........

No matter where you choose to put it it will be wrong!

NONE IS MY VOTE

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 08:17AM

Usually on the SIDE where the handle is

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 14, 2012 09:48AM

Loose line has a habit of snagging on a hookkeeper. You might consider Rich Forhan's Revolver style keeper where he bores a small hole in the casting seat trigger and uses that for affixing one of the lure hooks. When not in use, there is nothing to hang or snag on.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.sub-174-252-133.myvzw.com)
Date: January 14, 2012 03:09PM

Anywhere will work,, just not on the top. Try not to overthink it, it's a fishing rod, not a space shuttle.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 04:33PM

"when I tore the rod down, I didn't pay attention to which way the hook keeper was located."

If this is a customer rod I would ask the customer. If it's yours put it where you want it. Many of the above comments are right on. I have managed to get line snagged in every position I put one. So, if the rod is for recreational fishing, don't sweat it. For competition don't add a problem.

Chuck

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 14, 2012 05:15PM

I normally use a drop shot style hook keeper on the reel handle side just in front of the butt grip on a split grip rod that is being used for single hook lures. The line stays close to the blank with the lure readily accessible for fishing. For treble hook lures or full length rear grip rods, I skip the hook keeper and use the reel frame. My boat carpet loves treble hooks, so I try to keep them a little further away. Of course, like all of the above these are my preferences.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 14, 2012 05:49PM

Thanks guys. I normally don't do rod repairs, but this is a special situation, so I took it on. I finally had the light bulb (dim as it normally is) go on in my head. I went to the rod makers web page, and found a picture of the rod. The hook keeper was down. I will finish it tomorrow.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Walt Stock (---.dtccom.net)
Date: January 15, 2012 09:28AM

If right handed, but in on the lift side of the blank - opposite if Left handed. Line doesn't catch it and it's handy.

Been doing it that way for years with no problems. Second choice is down.

Cheers

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 15, 2012 04:03PM

Generally/regularly, I place them on the left side. The majority of rods I've done were for right handed anglers, the cast right handed and can just hang their lure/hook on the left with their left hand.

Posted by: Jim Guidry (---.biz.houston.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 16, 2012 07:26AM

I like mine on top on casting, bottom on spinning...

Posted by: Brad Brooks (---.srvs.usps.gov)
Date: January 27, 2012 01:29PM

I don't think this will help you but I always use small hook keepers and put them on top of the blank. I use all of my casting rods in boat rod holders and if you have the hook keeper off to one side or the other they hit the side of the rod holder when being quickly pulled out especially if using the large size keepers. FWIW.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster