I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

grease on gears?
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2012 03:47PM

I know this is out of the norm ?, on this forum, I just want to know how much grease to put on the reel gears, I have some Quantum's I need to clean and grease, so do you just wipe some grease on the gear teeth or do ya completely cover the gear teeth or all the gear,or gears?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: grease on gears?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2012 03:50PM

Lorenzo,
You probably are too young to remember the old Brylcream commercial.

The commercial always said, " A little dab will do you."

Same for your reel gears. A little dab will do you. You just need enough so that there is at least a film of grease on all of the gear teeth.

Take care
Roger

Date: January 12, 2012 04:02PM

LOL! I remember that commercial, Thanks, But I remember at one time i opened a reel the first time and it had all the gears completely cover with grease, so I would put enough grease to completely cover the teeth, then my fishing buddy told he thinks that was too much grease, so thats why I needed to ask. But what you said makes sense, I have that Quantum Hot sauce grease, which would make it easier for me to see how much I put on, since it is red. Thanks again.

Posted by: jeremy black (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2012 04:15PM

a little bit of hot shot goes a long way .you do not need excess grease on parts but some people are a little to tight . a little extra rubbed on all metal parts (even if they do not actually wear) will help stop corrosion. don't waste your hot shot on non-moving/non-wearing surfaces though any grease will work to keep corr. away.also remember to use oil on bearing's(hot shot has a great oil also) .

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 12, 2012 04:44PM

careful

I used that stuff on my hair -- in my younger days High School Such memories

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 12, 2012 06:12PM

IMHO reel lubricants is a current "fad". Reel companies always shipped a grease with their name on it but it was never anything special. Any number of greases would do. And OMG, reels had bushing instead of 99 ball bearings. Guess what, they never failed.

On the gross level ball bearings have to contain materials that rust. You can remove shields, lubricate as lightly as possible, and with the thinnest viscosity. In return your reel will cast further and the spool will rotate longer. I'm not sure your bearings will last the longest and I'm not sure your reel won't fail in the heat of the battle. The other option is to pack the bearing completely and retain the shields. If you only fish fresh water by all means go light viscosity oil. For heavyweight salt I'd be packed with aluminum complex grease.

Gears need little grease. In fact they can't hold much since the teeth displaces it. This does bring up an important point though. In a salt water reel it is wise to coat all surfaces with grease to prevent corrosion. IMHO a good product for this is an aeresol red grease that sprays as a liquid and the dries as a light grease.

Think of it this way. There are a lot of "machines" with a lot of bearings to be lubed in the world. I'd wager for every one company that specs Tsi or Quantum there are at least a million that spec something made by Mobil.

Drag grease is different and there are only a few to pick from. I'd go with Cal's.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: January 12, 2012 07:11PM

Thanks for the info Russ, how would someone know what type of drag pads need greased?

Date: January 12, 2012 08:32PM

OH, by the way Russ, whta do ya mean by "shields"?

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 12, 2012 09:16PM

I would recommend against an aluminum complex grease. Most reels are pre-lubricated with a lithium complex grease which is highly incompatible with aluminum complex greases. Best bet would be a lithium complex or calcium 12 hydroxy grease ... in particular one with a tackifier and a hydro-activator. I would recommend using a synthetic grease designed for high corrosion environments with the previously mentioned characteristics.

Do read the instructions that came with the reel. If none accompanied it, ask the manufacturer for the service information - none have ever denied it to me.

Date: January 12, 2012 09:32PM

Thats a good idea Jim, I;ll ask for the service info, thanks!

Date: January 12, 2012 11:37PM

Lorenzo,
I believe that Russ is referring to the "dust or grease" shields that are common on ball bearings.

A "shielded" bearing will have a metal or rubber shield on each side or on only one side of the ball bearing. Normally, these are used to contain and hold grease in the bearings. The way that shields are used is that the shields are removed, the bearing is well greased, and then the shield/s is/are replaced.

In an open environment, the shields really do an excellent job in retaining grease as well as to inhibit the inclusion of moisture and dirt into the bearings.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: John Yard (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 13, 2012 12:06AM

Check out alantani.com, the forum is full of info on reel repair and maitenance. Good Luck!

John Yard
Sea Girt, NJ

Posted by: Mike Lawson (---.qni.biz)
Date: January 13, 2012 01:12PM

I'm a reel tech as well as rod builder and can confirm the sentiment that only a film of grease is needed but be sure the film gets between the teeth and not just on the tips. Parts should be thoroughly cleaned of dirt and old lube prior to application of new lube. Shielded bearing are those with a permanent metal shield. A sealed bearing has a removable rubber seal. Quality lubes used in an appropriate applocation are fine to use in place of specialty or reel brand lubes. The exception is drag washers which require a specialty grease like Cals or Shimano Drag.

Posted by: Jeff Seabridge (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 13, 2012 01:56PM

Thanks Roger. I actually used that stuff when I was a kid going to elementary school.

Date: January 13, 2012 02:57PM

Jeff,
Here is a typical commercial for the product.

Roger

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 16, 2012 09:41AM

Iwas always told that any BLUE grease would work , I use Penn lube on all my reels , its blue , a thin coat will do ! Larry

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2012 11:49AM

Blue is a colorant, not a specification. What you are looking for is a lithium complex grease in a #2 or even a #1 viscosity grade. A synthetic grease with a marine tackifier and hydro-activation would be the best choice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster