I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

CalStar GFX simple spiral
Posted by: Kurt Lueneburger (12.94.93.---)
Date: January 11, 2012 09:46PM

I'm having some trouble convincing myself that a simple spiral wrap on CalStar GFX700L blank is appropriate. This blank shuts off so early that spacing between the stripper (BMNAG 20) and first 180 guide (BMNAG 8) is well beyond 12 inches... which spawns my insecurities. To be honest, I've never crafted a rod this stiff in the butt section... which feeds my insecurities. And I've never wrapped a rod in a spiral technique other than simple... which completes my transformation into a completely insecure wuss.

When it's finished, the rod will be my heavy duty kayak rod. Casting distance is of very little concern to me, but I do place a premium on smooth efficiency when fighting a fish. The German in me demands perfect line flow and equally stressed guides on a fully loaded rod. As it stands, I can maintain a very pleasing line path, under moderate to full loads, from a Daiwa Seagate reel, with a gap in the neighborhood of 15 inches, if not more. The question then becomes: to bumper, or not to bumper? Even at 15 inches, the bumper guide does not seem (and I stress seem) to load or alter the path of the line in any way. You may now all call me a dirty liar. Any sage advice or experiences with this blank?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2012 02:20AM by Kurt Lueneburger.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: CalStar GFX simple spiral
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 12, 2012 04:04AM

15 inches seems a bit far apart for the first two guides. You can locate them closer, of course.

Otherwise, tape up a set and try it.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2012 10:57AM

Kurt,
If you don't like the look and or results of a simple spiral; use a spiral system that is different.
I personally like to use the spiral system that has the butt guide at 5 degree, the next one at about 60 degrees, the next one at about 120 degrees and the last one at 180 degrees. Finally running guides to the tip.

I simply use the guide size and heightened angular orientation that allows for easy line flow with nearly no line touching any of the guides or blank as the line flows off of the reel or back on the reel.

You are talking about placing guides on a very stiff butt section; that will have very low amounts of deflection in use. When placing guides on this sort of blank you can have the guides a rather large distance between them. Remember, the purpose of the guides is to have the line follow and load the blank, as the blank is being used. If the blank does not deflect under use - i.e. - a very stiff butt section; the guides can be placed quite far apart and still do an excellent job in controlling the line.

Good wrapping.

Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 12, 2012 05:37PM

Just for fun

Put the top on at the 180 Run a line with a little weight on it so it holds straight
Add the butt guide
Mark where the line touches the blank Put pressure on the blank and mark again That will be a guide to keep the line off the blank I form a double foot guide so the ring is as close to the blank as I dare to bend it

Then I add the running guides 180 Add the remaining guides usually Bumper ( if you want to call it that ) Then another double foot about 90 or as the line tells me

I do not like to have any guides more then 10" apart And like them closer

Then i take pressure off the blank -- put it on and keep checking to have the line at as straight as I can make it ( Shortest distance between two points - is a straight line )

Yea They Look Funny But when they use then -- They Love Them

But also have the line LAY at the lowest part of the ring Close to the blank Adjust as needed

Works for me every time

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2012 05:40PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 12, 2012 06:58PM

The simple spiral is...well simple....and it works fine. It seems you have fished them. Therefore you already know the answer and your fate is sealed. Your new rod will be a spiral so all convincing is already done and all insecurities are irrelevant. Get over it and forge ahead.

I have a couple of blanks that compared closely in a side by side with that series of blanks. One is lighter and built as a spiral (800XL). One is heavier (700ML) and built in the normal way. I'd suggest you consider pushing the butt guide out further. If the blank has no flex why couldn't the butt guide be 28" from the center of the reel if needed? I think you will find you can push it out a bit and end up with your two guides closer to a foot apart which will work out fine.

From your comments I do wonder how much of a load you are testing at. I put 17 pounds on my XL and would go to about 22 on the L.

Now if you really need me to I could mention all the potential for weight reduction and superior line flow. If you look over my past posts you will see that a friend also bought the an 800XL but had it wrapped "old school". The difference is much greater than I would have imagined.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Kurt Lueneburger (12.94.93.---)
Date: January 12, 2012 09:17PM

Thanks for the input, gentlemen. I'll take a crack at taping up a two-guide transition between the 0 and 180 guides. If those attempts don't float my boat, I can fall back on a smaller simple spiral path, and learn to live with the angle of entry/exit the line makes in the 0 and 180 guides. Maybe a search of photos for some cross-section views of simple spirals with line running through the guides is in order. It would be interesting to see what others have crafted.

Russ, as for the load I used to space my guides, I space and test a range of bends in the blank culminating in a 90 degree maximum for this rod. The rod did not fully load the last guide until a roughly 75 degree bend was placed on the rod. You're absolutely correct, the stripper can easily be moved out to 28 inches with no ill effects to the line coming off the reel. But I despise large angles to the line path moving through any guide, and moving the stripper closer to the tip places two sharp angle changes under minimal loads (one at the line leaving the stripper, one at the line entering the 180 guide). Let me know if my desires are irrational or detrimental. i just haven't built or used a spiral rod that had such sharp line angles through the guides.

To be honest, this rod is turning out to be far too strong for my intended targets. Ideally, I should have gone with what I know, and purchased a Seeker CSW708. I gambled on an internet purchase, and lost this time. But the blank really is a fine product. Just a little more beef than I'm used to and needed. On the plus, there is no fish or beast I fear from my kayak with this rod. Bring on the cracken!

In any case, thanks again guys. You have been most helpful, and I appreciate it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2012 09:45PM by Kurt Lueneburger.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster