I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Does SPEED thread easily fade.?
Posted by: Owen Spalding (---.dsl.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: January 11, 2012 07:02PM

Not sure if "Speed" thread is available in the USA but have just completed 4 X 37kg - unlimited chair rods ready to epoxy and have just been informed that this particular colour "Brilliant blue" has a problem with rapid fading... has anyone used this before and encountered this problem.?????????
The only reason I used this colour is that it matches the clients boat exactly....Its a complete re-wrap of the 4 rods if this thread is a problem..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Does SPEED thread easily fade.?
Posted by: David Boyle (---.lnse4.woo.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 11, 2012 07:18PM

I had the same problem some years ago using Speed thread. The blue faded incredibly quickly.
I have also used the Speed red and it looks as bright today as it did when I wrapped it years ago, so it must be certain colours only.

Cheers
Dave Boyle
www.threadcenrtal.net

Posted by: Ashley Wright (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: January 11, 2012 07:28PM

Yep I have had problems with brill blue in speed. Never again.

Looks nice when first wrapped but fades very quick. Maybe a different brand of preserver would produce different results.

Date: January 11, 2012 07:43PM

thanks for the info,
Im going to start my own thread making company.....I'll make something that fades real quickly under UV rays and sell it to rod builders who put it on fishing rods and use them outside under UV rays.. what a great idea.!!!....might offer my services to Speed

yes...annoyed...4 complete re-wraps on the agenda.
might put a preserver on and see what happens.

Posted by: Ashley Wright (---.dyn.iinet.net.au)
Date: January 11, 2012 08:05PM

Owen,
Call frogley's offshore in ballina and ask them if they have had many reports of it fading, they may have changed the "recipe" so to speak. The last time I used it was 10 years ago, and as I said it was disappointing to say the least.

As Dave said all their other colours are pretty good.

Date: January 11, 2012 08:12PM

Just off the phone to frogley's national sales manager Ashley, and he tells me its very popular with rod builders and never had a problem with it.!!!!!!!!!!! but he then tells me to put a CP on it before epoxy.?? but they advertise that speed threads already have a CP in it.... and the only feedback im getting on here and elsewhere is that it will definately fade quickly no matter what i do......

lost & bewildered... lol

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse1.ken.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 12, 2012 01:34AM

Hi Owen,
I've got a "new" 20 year old spool of brilliant blue that's been kept in the dark and it looks like it's fading. Don't use the stuff anymore as I'm not keen on it. Checked my Madeira colour chart and the 1932 looks like it's a close match to that colour and they've got about 50 + blues to choose from. I've been using Madeira for about six years and none of the rods I've built with it show any sign of fading and a few of them get a lot of exposure to sunlight. I've also used it on quite a few game rods from 20 to 50lb without any problems. Might not be suitable for what you want but it's something to consider. I've built a lot of rods with the stuff and have never had a problem with it. I use about 1/4 more tension than I used to use with Gudebrod and a good quality cp is a must. I use Threadmaster and get the same colour as on the spool and have never had a problem with fisheyes. I use three coats with just enough to saturate the threads without any excess.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: David Boyle (---.lnse4.woo.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 12, 2012 06:54AM

Maybe I should send the Frogley guy some photos of my son's rod wrapped in Speed blue which faded to almost white in a matter of weeks!! It is a very disappointing thing to see happen considering it is meant to be rodbuilding thread. And I used CP on the wraps (Erskines). Mine wasn't Brilliant Blue it was Royal Blue.

Regards
Dave Boyle
www.threadcentral.net

Date: January 12, 2012 07:26AM

Thank you so very much David,

Not the answer i was praying for but a definate "do not use"
its now a complete re-wrap of 4 X 37kg rods..wonder if Speed would come to the party on 25hrs lost.......ill be talking to these people tomorrow..I just don't get why a company would consider selling rod building thread that is useless under UV rays... I just don't get it.......!!!!!!

Date: January 13, 2012 01:37AM

After a few more e-mails and phone calls today to Frogley's, they have conceded that there was a problem with the blue's awhile back but have apprantly resolved those fading issues and stand by their product.
However, when pressured to give me a over the phone garauntee they quickly dismissed it with to many variables involved such as CP's, epoxies used and drying times etc etc... I was more than happy to follow any specific procedures they had in mind but not to be...

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: January 13, 2012 05:43PM

G'Day Owen I've got a reel of the brilliant blue in front of me .It is 2 years old & has had the sun on it every afternoon for about 18 months. I moved the storage rack when I realised that the sun could have a detrimental effect on the threads .I have a mixture of different brands & none of those have suffered any effects from the sun.

regards Baz

Bundeena NSW

Posted by: Paul O'Connor (---.lnse2.woo.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 14, 2012 05:02PM

Does that mean that they recomend using CP with Speed Thread?

Date: January 14, 2012 06:29PM

Hi Paul:
Yes,
Frogley's told me to use a good CP if i was going to use Speed.

Date: January 14, 2012 07:59PM

Hi Owen,

Is that becaise of the potential for fading or problems with applying epoxy?

Cheers.

Date: January 14, 2012 08:20PM

I really don't know why the reasoning Paul,
but at a guess they are trying to cover their A*** but also trying to help us out.!!
Speed thread apparantly already has CP so i dont understand why they suggest putting more,
SO..... I wrapped a sample of Brilliant blue the other day. put flexcoat CP on half and left the other half as is off the spool, epoxied it yesterday morning and there is a big difference in colour, the area i put the Flexcoat CP is brighter and virtually identical to the spool, the other part is darker than the spool.. I then wrapped a small area on both sections with masking tape to stop any UV rays from penetrating it and it is now sitting on the roof of the house for the next week. (the things we do).atleast then i should know a bit more about this Speed thread.
0410 507 495 is the mobile of the rep i was talking to if you need to know more... ( I think im aloud to put numbers on here.)

cheers

Date: January 14, 2012 09:42PM

Yes - the things we do. Have you ever wondered what our neighbours think? Can I ask a favour in that your post the results?

Date: January 14, 2012 10:52PM

yeah no problems Paul. shall do.
I used 1 coat of high build treadmaster

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster