I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tips on adding a rear seat grip
Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 11, 2012 01:21PM

I have a rod that was built with an epoxy rear grip ramp and marbled like this: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Now, a rear grip needs to be added where the epoxy ramp is now. I'd rather not tear this whole rod down to do it. I was thinking of cleaning out the epoxy ramp area and part of the marbling area where a new grip will sit down to the rod blank. Next building a rear grip from cork, reaming it to fit the rod blank, slicing the grip in 1/2 and applying the grip to the rod in 2 pieces. I realize I will have a small slice/glue line on two sides of the grip, but hopefully I can achieve a satisfactory result. Anyone tried this before? any tips?

I know getting a perfect fit is gonna be challenging, along with getting a perfect cut and ream.

DR

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tips on adding a rear seat grip
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 11, 2012 02:15PM

Do it all from the butt of the rod
The butt grip is small If you can heat the end cap - play with it you should be able to save it Remove the Small cork grip Pad sand the marbling for a good adhesion
Make your new grip and slid it on from the butt Get a good fit
Slide it on and glue it
Remake the end grip
Glue them on
Re-clear the marbling
Done

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 11, 2012 04:08PM

It might be quicker to simply remove everything from the seat back and start fresh.

If you want to try splitting a grip and rejoining, it can certainly be done. It's just going to take some careful work.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 11, 2012 04:12PM

DR; It can be done exactly like you are thinking. I have replaced single cork rings within a grip. The only problem will be getting the correct ID. When you split the new grip and put it back together the reamed hole is now oval shaped, or shaped like an "EYE" ( because of the saw kerf). The OD of the new grip will no longer be round also, so keep that in mind. You will have to ream it again after you split it . With careful measuring and dry fitting it surely can be done. Find you a piece of rod blank the same OD and taper to use as a template when dry fitting the split grip. That will make things a lot easier when trying to sand the 2 seams to a perfect match. Use a full sheet of 240 or less sand paper layed on a flat surface to sand the sawed edges of the cork.
The amount of material the saw and sanding takes out will determine how out-of-round the OD and the ID will be.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2012 06:56PM

Nice marbling job, like the colors, I'm sure after you put a rear grip, it will look good still.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2012 07:03PM

Duane,
Slice off the butt cap and rear but cap grip.
Slice off the marbling etc. up to the reel seat.
Take a new rear grip, ream it to size and slip it on the butt of the rod, gluing it on as you do.
Glue a butt cap to the rear grip and you will be set.

If you use a rear grip with an integrated grip, you just need to slice off the old, ream the rear grip to size, and slip it onto the blank while gluing it in place.
For this sort of install, I just use a drill and drill out the grip to the same size as the largest part of the rear part of the blank. Then, I just use masking tape as needed to arbor up the rest of rear grip area to the same size as the end of the blank.
Coat with epoxy and slip the grip in place.

The entire job should take about 30 minutes.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: January 12, 2012 08:44AM

When I get started I'll let you guys know how it went.

Roger,

It'll take me 30min to re-do the marbling alone!

DR

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 12, 2012 10:46AM

Duane,
I apologize if I misunderstood your original post.
It was my understanding that you needed to have a full length grip on this rod, (not a split grip) and that all of the marbling would be covered by the new grip.

If that was not your intent, I stand corrected.

Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 12, 2012 05:13PM

Thought you wanted to at least save the time of redoing the marbling ?? The grip will stick well to the pad sanded finish

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 12, 2012 08:38PM

Roger, Yes I was just adding a rear split grip not a full length grip, I should have made that clear-er.

Bill,

I was planning on trying to save the marbling, but a grip will offset the decals making them "off center" so I guess I'll re-do the entire area:

add a rear seat grip 2" in length
re-make the rear grip and cap
re-do the decals and marbling

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster