I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Chewed up EVA options
Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 10, 2012 10:45PM

A mouse or a rat or some rodent decided to chew up this EVA handle. I guess the smell of fish guts was too much to walk away from. The rest of the rod is in good shape. It is only the foregrip that has issues.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

What are my options for fixing this? Are there any "fillers' out there to bring the missing chunks back up to surface level? I thought about some shrink wrap material, but not sure how I would hide the front and rear cuts??

Has anyone ever put on an EVA foregrip from the butt?

Any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chewed up EVA options
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2012 10:55PM

I just redid one a couple of weeks ago, I just cut it down along the middle of the grip and took it off piece by piece, and took a Dremel tool and cut off as much of the rodbond epoxy off as I could then sanded the rest, then i just reamed the eva handle to where it would go on from the butt end , but I had to make a arbor from dry wall mess, to get it snug, it is holding really good.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 10, 2012 11:36PM

Would you believe Crickets did that ! I've got one in the same condition, except it's the EVA butt cap. Left in the garage for a week or so. I caught him in the act !

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 10, 2012 11:41PM

You can make an EVA plug to cove the holes, dependin ghow many and how big. YOucan also wrap an EVA sheet around the grip.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 11, 2012 06:58AM

Fix I use for party boat rods.

Fill the holes with Rod Bond. When cured sand to the shape of the grip. Cover with shrink wrap and rod is back in service.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 11, 2012 10:52AM

In the past, I have filled the voids with bath tube silicon then "flocked" the grip.

Ed Smith
Flat Rock, NC

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 11, 2012 10:56AM

Jess,
It is a bit difficult to tell the action and power of the rod from the picture.
But to ask:
Do you need a for grip on the rod?
If you don't just cut off the for grip, clean up the blank and do a wrap on that section of the rod.
Or, if you need a for grip, perhaps you might like to put a "cord" for grip on the rod.

If it is a 2-piece rod, you would likely only have one guide in front of the for grip. Cut the guide and grip off of the rod. Install a new grip and rewrap the guide.

If it is a single piece rod, just cut off the guided and grip, clean up the blank and rewrap the guides that you might have been thinking about rewrapping anyway.

Take care
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2012 10:59AM by roger wilson.

Date: January 11, 2012 11:00AM

P.S.
In the future, you might want to be keeping your rods in a bug or rodent proof case to prevent future damage.

Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 11, 2012 12:34PM

Here's another alternative. If you have a lathe, turn down the grip past the damage. Shape to a straight taper cylinder. Now size a new grip, with an ID matching the OD of the turned down grip. Slide it over the rod butt and epoxy it over the turned down grip. Then turn the new grip to shape and you're done.

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 11, 2012 05:26PM

Thanks for all the ideas. I was hoping to get away with something that doesn't require taking off the reel seat or the rear eva...both of which are fine. May have to go the shrink wrap route.

Posted by: Bruce Kemp (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: January 11, 2012 06:39PM

Jess just an idea as Ive never done it ,but,you could possibly turn down or cut off the old grip,take new grip sized just snug to the blank and slit it with a razor bl;ade end to end,rod bond blank and contact cement grip,down both sides of slit, and just spread it and clamp over blank with hand.Turn seam underneath and sand a little after it drys.Might work and eva is pretty cheap if it dont.

Date: January 11, 2012 07:06PM

Jess,
It doesn't take that long to cut off guides and rewrap.
Cut off the necessary guides, slice off the for grip, install a new for grip, rewrap and recoat the guides.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: January 12, 2012 07:14AM

Bruce,

I think your idea will work as well as any. I have done cork ring replacement that same way with good results. EVA should work as well.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster