I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

A-Rig Rod Options
Posted by: Jeremy Reed (74.130.55.---)
Date: January 09, 2012 11:33PM

I don't even get to build many rods because of a number of reasons, job, baby, etc, and I have people approaching me to build A-Rig rods. This craze has definately taken hold and those that have the bait are now wanting rods to throw it on. I'm sure those with a higher volume business are seeing this. For those builders, in recent months, has this been one of the more requested builds? I think Mr. Gardner hit the nail on the head when he posted about this unique opportunity, and offered advice based on his testing.

I'm about to order a T1 blank from swampland for a customer, but was wondering what other blanks builders are finding works well with the A-Rig. The only other recommendation I have seen is by Mr. Gardner on a batson swimbait blank based on his on the water testing of that blank. What other blanks have worked for others? Also, what weight are you throwing?

Would the mudhole MU96H-MHX work for this technique? or the XH? or are you likely to get a tip blowout? Based on the lure rating, I would assume this blank would work.

Thanks for the help.

Jeremy W. Reed
Reed Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A-Rig Rod Options
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 10, 2012 06:35AM

Weight the amount of weight the rod will have to cast Rig Weight Plus

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 10, 2012 07:31AM

I have built several Alabama rigs, and also bought a couple. It is kind of surprising when you "Put em on the scale - Dewey"

The rigs I have built with just wire and and swivels weigh from .25 to .50 oz depending on the wire used. The heaviest wire is the utility flag wire.
A commercially made rig weighed .37 oz.

A swimmin' super fluke on a 3/16 oz jig using a 4/0 long shank hook weighs .47 oz. Plastic is heavier than I thought.

Most rigs use 5 baits.- some states (Tennessee for one) only allow 3 baits.

So if you are going to build a rod to throw this bait, you need something to handle 2 to 2 1/2 oz. More if you use heavier jigs.

Sincerely
Bert Nagy

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (74.143.90.---)
Date: January 10, 2012 08:09AM

The guy I'm building for has a couple rigs and rigged with swimbaits, it weighs in at a little over 5oz on the scales. What are other options for blanks other than the ones previously mentioned?

Thank you,

Jeremy W. Reed

Posted by: Bob McKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: January 10, 2012 09:05AM

Jeremy -- For a couple of MHX models that work, our MHX Swim Bait banks are proven blanks for the Alabama Rig. According to the weight being used on the rig, either the SWB956-Blend MHX or the SWB967-Blend MHX. The Swim Bait blanks are lighter in weight than the Muskie blanks.

Bob McKamey
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 10, 2012 09:46AM

Bob McKamey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jeremy -- For a couple of MHX models that work,
> our MHX Swim Bait banks are proven blanks for the
> Alabama Rig. According to the weight being used
> on the rig, either the SWB956-Blend MHX or the
> SWB967-Blend MHX. The Swim Bait blanks are
> lighter in weight than the Muskie blanks.

Beat me to it.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 10, 2012 10:07AM

Additional Information on the Swampland T1 Blank:

Original Press Release:

[rodbuilding.org]

1. Testing of the T1 in on the water fishing and distance casting test has been completed with lure weights to eight ounces.

2. I am shipping out a finished rod at 7' 11" inches with micro guides today - total weight of finished rod 7.8 ounces.

This rod will also properly load to cast lure weights as low as 2 ounces.

The new Swampland Web site will be up soon with full listings of all new products.

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: January 10, 2012 08:43PM

I got 2 of the T1 blanks and have started building on them. These are seriously beastly blanks………

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (74.130.55.---)
Date: January 10, 2012 09:14PM

Mike or Bill -
What is the butt size on the rod?
Thanks,

jwr

Posted by: mike harris (---.dhcp.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: January 10, 2012 10:19PM

Trimmed to 8’ the butt diameter is .835. A size 17 reel seat will just fit, you may have to do a little reaming.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: January 11, 2012 09:49AM

T 1 Blank is shipped at 8' 2 "

Trim butt after allowance for tip length addition - tube size seven Kigan Micro Top Fits by removing paint from tip section of blank -

Prototype rods were built using heavy duty size 4.0 micro guides all on top.

Built at eight feet Fuji 17.0 ECS lands perfectly at 12 inch rear grip. Most will want a full reel seat with no cut out for filling hand and touque control.

Use a Flip Stick Palm Split grip with a EVA Belly Buster butt piece.

This blank was designed for the application and allows wide range of lure weights for loading the blank - .

Casting of the lure weights used above four ounces presents unique casting technique challenges.

The casting of heavy lure weights can be performed in an effortless manner.

All day with no wear and tear on body

You can teach old dogs new tricks!

Contact Swampland for more information: [www.swamplandtackle.com]

Demonstrations will be presented at the ICRBE on Saturday and Sunday..

Posted by: Hydra Fishing, LLC (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: January 11, 2012 01:28PM

The Swampland T1 blank is outstanding. We built one for testing with a full 12" EVA grip, size 17 seat (which fit perfect) and used the following Kigan guide train:

CDCGWC7 (DF7)
CHDCGWC6
CHDCGWC5
CHDCGWC4 (7 of them)
MZCTWC4-2.8 top

This was a great test rod for trying out Kigan's heavy duty guides - available in micro sizes and in stock by the end of February.
Here is a picture: [a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net]

The total length was 7' 11 3/4". Total build weight was 7.85oz. We went with a larger stripper guide since we are pairing the rod with a Shimano Cardiff 300 and liked the line path with the large spool reel.

The blank loads great with rigs from 2 ounces up to 5 (that's as far as we've tried casting) and really takes the work out of it. This is one technique where a glass rod just really shines.

Hydra Fishing, LLC

Online: [www.hydrafishing.com]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Email: info@hydrafishing.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster