I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

type of guides to use?
Posted by: dennis adamczyk (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2012 10:49AM

Here is a question for everybody. The type of guides for my freshwater casting rods? Im only building freshwater casting rods for myself, mainly use fluorocarbon line and fishing for bass. I know I can use SIC guides on all my rods but am I wasting money using these guides? Are there any disadvantages in using aluminum oxide (or Hardloy or Alconite?) guides for my rods? Do SIC have any advantages over the less expensive aluminum oxide guides such as sensitivity or ???? Will fluorocarbon line damage aluminum oxide guides? Does guide ring material matter on micro guides, aluminum oxide vs. SIC?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: type of guides to use?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 09, 2012 11:10AM

It would be rare for any modern mono or braided line to damage a quality aluminum oxide guide. On freshwater casting rods, SIC is nice but likely overkill in terms of the ability to withstand wear. Sensitivity would be a matter of weight, not ring material. Although, some rings are heavier than others. But guide for guide, we'd be talking a terribly minute difference. Certainly not likely to be enough for the human hand to notice.

Posted by: Hydra Fishing, LLC (---.sub-174-251-247.myvzw.com)
Date: January 09, 2012 11:16AM

Dennis-
Great question. Guide rings like Kigan's Coalite, SiC, and Zirconia are all great for mono, flouro, and braid. You'll see lots of different preferences. Some builders will favor value while others look for every possible edge.

Coalite offers great performance for fresh and saltwater, excellent value, and is our most popular ring offering. SWAMPLAND Tackle currently has a full line up for Kigan Coalite ringed guides in stock. You will find cobalt/aluminum based guide rings on a very large number of custom and production rods.

Slightly above Coalite is SiC - its a little harder ring and I recommend it in applications where heat dissipation is a major concern. This would be in situations where you typically have longs run by fish.

Our top performer is Zirconia rings. These offer the most durable, lightest rings and offer ultimate performance. Our Zirconia rings are made with a very high purity zirconia powder so you realize the benefits of zirconia and not just a name.

Outside of the guide ring, I'd also look closely ring/frame contact and overall frame design and construction.

Alex

Hydra Fishing, LLC

Online: [www.hydrafishing.com]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Email: info@hydrafishing.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2012 11:39AM

Dennis,
Also, check out the Pac Bay minima guides. These guides that have been out for a few years, are inexpensive, tough and light.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 09, 2012 12:49PM

Dennis,

90-95% of the rods I build are bass rods. I have used just about every guide out there...Fuj Alconite & SIC's, Pac Bay Minima, etc. For price, durability and light weight I use Fuj Alconite guides. I have not tried the Kigan guides available through Swampland. Swampland have an excellant reputation. You might give Swampland a call to dicuss the Kigan guides. I like the looks of their micro guides and was considering giving them a try.

There are a bunch of good guides on the market today. Each have their advantages. I have standardized to the Fuji Alconites to make life easier on myself. That way I don't have to keep a lot of different brands of guides in my inventory.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 09, 2012 06:03PM

The Aconite rings are a nice guide
I just don't like the fly guides cause when I get them the ring has no - kick up - keeping the ring off the blank

I went to American Tackle

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Eric MONTACLAIR (---.fbx.proxad.net)
Date: January 10, 2012 12:54AM

For price vs quality it's hard to beat Fuji Alconite.

Pacific Bay Minima 4 are a good choice if you want very light guides.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2012 12:54AM by Eric MONTACLAIR.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 10, 2012 09:48AM

I've always used either Am. Tack Nanolite or Fuji Alconite guides and have been happy with them. However, I recently wrapped my first set of Pac Bay Minimas and they look & feel up to the task of my inshore rods.

Posted by: dennis adamczyk (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: January 10, 2012 04:27PM

thanks all for your input

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster