I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

first time I seen this happen!
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2012 09:39PM

I put on a first thin coat 5 hrs. ago, and I just checked on the wrap, I put my magnifiers on and noticed like very small crater like holes, so i thought this must of been where the bubbles bursted, since it was a very thin layer of ThreadMaster lite.Any other guess by anyone what this could be, I would like to hear, Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: first time I seen this happen!
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2012 09:52PM

Sounds like Bubbles to Me Should go away with second coat

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 08, 2012 09:58PM

Sounds like fisheyes. What thread did you use.

Date: January 08, 2012 10:04PM

I used Pro Wrap Tiger Thread, They are very small, like the size of the tip of a ball point pen. maybe even smaller. Could fish eyes be that small?

Posted by: Greg LaPolla (69.106.136.---)
Date: January 08, 2012 11:16PM

I just used threadmaster lite for the first time. Had the same issue on two of the wraps. Second coat coverd it up perfectly, third coat is was smooth as glass.

Greg

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 09, 2012 12:39AM

Hey Lorenzo,

Read your post, There could be another possibility of contamination from your hands or fingers. I wash my hands before I begin wrapping and try not to touch the wraps with my fingers after-words. I would happen to be in the kitchen for something and not think about were my hands have been and sit back down to finish a wrap! Since this is the first time its happened and I have seen this happen to me before and my deduction was my hands were dirty after cleaning up a mess in the kitchen. Because it only happened to the wrap I took the break from to clean that mess up in the kitchen. I ended up stripping the wrap and starting over on it. Which to my surprise fixed the issue. That would be my thoughts on this one! Good luck and have fun !

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Date: January 09, 2012 09:14AM

I wear those latex gloves, cause of my hands are easily chaffed and are very easily damaged cause of an explosion accident years back, I will see if the second coat will fix it, looks like it should.

Posted by: Steve Dyczkiewycz (---.1.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 09, 2012 09:37AM

Could also be excessive heat causing the finish to 'skate'.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 09, 2012 09:52AM

From what you describe those are the remnants of micro-bubbles. They occur from too briskly stirring the mix, or from heating the epoxy.

Another coat should take care of them.

Date: January 09, 2012 10:11AM

Thanks everyone, I will put the second coat, and see how it goes.

Date: January 09, 2012 10:50AM

Just put on the 2nd coat, looks like it going to turn out fine, Thanks everyone for the input.

Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: January 09, 2012 12:34PM

I've also noticed the brush will hold air that cause bubbles during application. I totally submerse my brush then wick the excess before pouring onto foil.
The power mixers are great for a bubble free mix.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 09, 2012 06:12PM

If you did not use CP then it will help a Heck of a Lot to thin the first coat of finish This will Penetrate the thread better and also get rid of any Bubbles Replaces the air in the thread

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster