I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel fits seat? level wind ?
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 08, 2012 12:40PM

Building a rod on a Hercules GTS 70 M Blank
Will be using a PacBay channel Lock seat [www.mudhole.com]
Seat should fit the blank no problem - But will a Shimano TLD 25 - [www.tackledirect.com] - fit a 20 size seat looks like it will ?? The feet look thin and narrow

Also this reel does not look like it has any level wind on it

If not any one have any ideas on how to set up the butt guides for the reel
I am thinking of maybe two around the + o - area of the top of the blank ?? hate to have the line build up on one side of the reel -- Going to try to get the reel to test it ??

Got 10 ring heavy Virtus guides and a 12

Thanks for any help

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2012 12:44PM by bill boettcher.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel fits seat? level wind ?
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2012 01:20PM

Get in touch with Billy V of the Nerbs. He is a Dealer for those Blanks. He is the Man!

Date: January 08, 2012 01:43PM

The seat will fit the blank ( be here tomorrow ) Will the reel fit the 20 seat I think so ?? Don't have the seat

Also reel having a Level Wind on it ???
Guide ideas on a Spiral guide placement

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: wayne diduch (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: January 08, 2012 01:59PM

Hi Bill!!...Off topic, and i apologize for not getting back to you sooner [my Dad.. 83 is not well ] and i've been "Tangled" up...i can't get a hold of that Guy either..the Fella that wants the Split Grips...it's o.k though...i would'nt have the time now. But, thanks for the Heads up Bill...it is greatly appreciated. Cheers!!!...Wayne

Date: January 08, 2012 02:11PM

That's OK
Now I feel bad cause I tried to some people work I could not Don't think do
Did not mean to get you involved with a guy that did not know what he wanted

Hope you Dad feels better Got a sister in the hospital also

Any Comments On the guide placement ???

Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2012 04:29PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2012 04:44PM

Bill,
Before gluing on the reel seat, get a reel that is of the type mentioned and check the fit on the reel seat. (Have the client of the rod, send you the reel that he wants to put on the rod)
Before aligning any guides, put the reel on the blank with the guides wrapped but not coated.

Put out a couple hundred feet of line on the floor and then reel in under light tension. See how the line fills on the reel. With a non line guide reel, the line should pretty well stack on the center, or run by itself from side to side.
If you find that the line stacks on one side or the other, then rotate the butt guide until the line does center. Then, align other guides as needed.

In particular, when doing spiral wraps, even with line guide reels, I have found that the line will stack on one side of the reel if I don't offset the first guide by 5-10 degrees - depending on the reel.

Good luck
REW

Posted by: Charles Clayton (---.ldcz1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 08, 2012 04:52PM

The TLD 25 is a fair size reel, mines mounted on a 30 to 50 lb game rod, maybe have a look at one before you start building ? You can lob out a live bait but they are not really casting reels so no level wind as they were designed as a entry level game reel.
Charles

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2012 04:55PM by Charles Clayton.

Date: January 08, 2012 06:08PM

Thanks for the info

I was thinking of finding a reel in one of the stores around me make sure it fits the seat Now I can glue it on

Understand about the stacking
he will go i would think about 150 - 200 feet down A lot of line to go back on the reel
If i make it Spiral to the handle side but put the butt guide to the other side just a little If it stacks he can push the line with his thumb to make it go over ??

maybe I would be better with guides on top ?? Got to think about this

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: James Bare (50.105.27.---)
Date: January 09, 2012 08:48PM

Does it make a difference on how the butt guides are on the blank? Any big game casting reel like that tld you level the line with your thumb as you reel the line in, so why wouldnt you have the first guide dead center lined up with the reel seat and the reel?

Date: January 10, 2012 07:06AM

here ya on the thumb

I am thinking the first butt guide at about 355 then the next at 0 then the spiral

Easier to push the line over to the right then pull to the left

Got to see how they line up when I set it up

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 10, 2012 07:07AM

here ya on the thumb

I am thinking the first butt guide at about 355 then the next at 0 then the spiral

Easier to push the line over to the right then pull to the left

Got to see how they line up when I set it up

Hercules blanks Don't Come with a Decal ???

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster