I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Butt caps for custom handles
Posted by: Scott Backholm (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: January 07, 2012 06:33PM

Hello all, I have just started turning my own handles and have what may be a stupid question. I scrolled through a ton of all of your awesome pics of handles. Obviously the cork/woodhandle is going to have a hole in it for the madrel, how do you guys cover the whole in the last cork area/butt cap. Mudhole has the buttplugs but I think they are too small.

Thanks!

"My biggest fear in life is that when I die, my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2012 07:08PM by Scott Backholm.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Butt caps for custom handles
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: January 07, 2012 07:09PM

Look at these, plenty of choices.[www.mudhole.com]

Date: January 07, 2012 07:14PM

thanks Jay, i was kind of wondering if people used purchased butts or made their own, thanks again.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: January 07, 2012 07:32PM

I don't drill the wood butt all the way through negating the need for a plug, the same can be done with rubberized cork butts. Burl Cork and regular cork really make poor butt ends due to chipping, etc. I've also used plugs, made one by hand, or by hole punch when needed.

Date: January 07, 2012 07:35PM

a plug cutter!!! Eureka! thanks much. I guess I could also turn a tenon in the wood and then add a factory butt cap. Many thanks.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 08, 2012 10:18AM

You can also glue the butt cap you like onto the handle
turn to the shape you want
Take any dust left over and mix it with glue and fill the hole when your done with the rod
I do as the last thing in case I need the hole for some thing turning ??
Then sand to shape

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 08, 2012 10:22AM

thanks Bill, good advice!

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2012 11:12AM

I've used cork stoppers from ACE hardware (in the fasteners section). They come in many sizes, and can be sanded down to fit the hole. Glue them in, and sand to match the shape of the butt.

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Date: January 08, 2012 12:24PM

no kidding. another great tip, thanks.

Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: January 08, 2012 02:04PM

Scott.

I have been making my handles using individual burl cork rings. I bore the rings to the diameter of the mandrel including the the butt piece of cork.

On that piece of cork, I use a Forstner bit and drill a 3/4" flat hole about 1/8" deep so that the center of it is the same as the bore hole.(concentric)

I complete the handle - gluing, turning, oiling, .etc: on the mandrel, and ream to fit on the on the blank as usual.

After the rod is completed I epoxy a metal button in the Forstner bit hole as a butt cap.

I build mainly bass rods, and found that 3/4" is a good size for the butt cap hole.

Joanne's and other fabric stores have many metal buttons that are flat on the bottom, that are crests, designs, etc. They are rather cheap, and add a touch of class that factory rods don't have.

Regards
Bert Nagy

Date: January 08, 2012 02:16PM

There are also in an auto parts store like Pep Boys Interior Panel push on black plastic buttons that can be used in the end I put them on a drill and polish the heck out of them

A coin or some thing else glued on the end Many things you can do

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 08, 2012 02:23PM

like those ideas a lot. Thanks!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 08, 2012 04:22PM

As others have posted, I use a plug cutter to cut a group of plugs of the size needed for the rods being built.
I glue in the plugs, and then use my disk sander with the cross vise attachement to keep the handle square to the sanding disk to flush off the end of the plug with the rod butt cap.

Here is a cross vise mounted to a disk sander that I use when sanding butt caps to insure a perfectly suqure end on the rod with respect to the handle:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Take care
REW

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2012 04:24PM by roger wilson.

Date: January 08, 2012 05:06PM

very nice,thanks!

Posted by: Mike Adams (---.anon-online.org)
Date: January 10, 2012 03:58PM

I've found some shotgun shell brass with "Made in USA" stamped on the end. Western tack and saddle shops have conchos of various sizes that are quit decorative. These would be recessed in cork like the button or coin ideas, previously mentioned, covered with casting resin.

Date: January 10, 2012 07:13PM

Now you are thinking - outside the box

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 10, 2012 07:49PM

good stuff! What is the best to attach/seal it?

Date: January 12, 2012 11:13AM

I was thinking I would just 2 part epoxy ProPaste the button into the indented space made by the forstner bit. Does that make sense? Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster