I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Calstar 6455XXH or 7455XXH?
Posted by: Dane Newman (---.pa.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: January 05, 2012 06:39PM

Have a customer who wants 2x 80lb standup game rods (bent butt) built and was wondering what differences of the standard E-glass 6455XXH (which I've built before), vs the equivalent Grafighter 7455XXH? I know the graphite composite gives you a thinner and lighter blank, but that advantage is a bit redundant once a unibutt and an 80W is strapped to it. Can anyone describe the real advantages of graphite composite with this style of fishing (or even disadvantages)?

The grafighter 7455XXH also appears to have a heavier line rating, but how much does the working curve of this blank differ from the 6455XXH?

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Calstar 6455XXH or 7455XXH?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 05, 2012 08:40PM

The only real disadvantage is cost (it'll be higher) and some loss of durability, although those are pretty tough blanks.

Watch any length differences - a longer rod offers the fish more leverage, but allows the fisherman to gain more line per "pump." With a chair, this isn't nearly as important as it is in a stand-up rod.

Posted by: Owen Spalding (---.dsl.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: January 06, 2012 05:18AM

Hi Dan,
I'm doing 4x 80lb with storabutts straight and curved. (components all arrived today.)and just jumped on here to find out abit more about them, got 4X 6455xxh for the job, taken 8'' off the butt to slide into the collet but dont know how much to take off the tip....?? never done these before and am open to any suggestions but you seem to be the man to talk to...as far as your questions go, I would say the GF would definately not have the same flex or working curve as the e/glass (eglass softer)....personally i couldnt see any point in having a GF on an 80 at all.

cheers
you might be able to help me out with this Tom.

Date: January 06, 2012 07:33AM

The material the blank is made from has nothing to do with the curve (action) of the rod. It will affect response, but in such heavy rods that's not of great concern.

Action is determined mostly by taper, not material.

Posted by: Owen Spalding (---.dsl.vic.optusnet.com.au)
Date: January 06, 2012 09:18AM

so material is more for fine tuning the action is what your saying Tom.?
can you suggest the amount to cut off the tip of a 6455xxh in my last message.?

Date: January 06, 2012 10:33AM

No, the material has nothing to do with rod action. Action is where the rod initially flexes. You can make an extremely fast action rod out of bamboo, and an extremely slow action rod out of high modulus graphite.

However, the heavier a rod is, the more slowly it's going to react and recover. Glass rods, generally being heavier power for power, will not react nor recover as fast as similar graphite rod blanks.

I really don''t know enough about your fishing situation to know what or even if to cut anything.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster