I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Is there a automotive clear coat without uv inhibitors ?
Posted by: BILL EASTON (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 02, 2012 11:30PM

I need a automotive clear single or two part urethane or acrylic I don't care It just has to contain no uv blockers. The reason is I built a rod last year that was uv light reactive, that was until I had it clear coated. I knew it would probably be a problem but I thought I would try it anyways. I want to do another one and find a way to make it work with a quality clear coat. I have already called every paint distributor and shop in my phone book. Who has the answer :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is there a automotive clear coat without uv inhibitors ?
Posted by: Steve Schoene (---.lightspeed.tmblct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 03, 2012 12:42AM

I can't really help except to note that clear coat finishes that are made for exterior applications pretty much must have UV inhibitors or they would them selves fail in short order. Some do have a higher proportion of HALS that protect underlying surfaces--the reverse of what you seem to want, but even the UV aborbers put into to protect the clear finish itself will also, until they are used up, protect the underlying surface too.

I must say I'm curious about what kind of light reactive material you are using and what you are expecting it to do. Usually it is exactly the reverse that is wanted--how to protect thread colors and so on.

Posted by: BILL EASTON (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 03, 2012 03:08AM

I know people think I am crazy at first. I still use chromaseal and pro kote. I want the blanks to glow with the black lights on my Buddy's boat.
He gave me the idea for him self. Getting the blank to be black light reactive was easy, protecting it with
a real good flexible urethane clear with out stiffening the blank up to much
was the hard part. I know about krylon Crystal clear and other acrylic options that don't have any UV blockers but I am looking for something with longevity. My understanding before I did it was in order for the paint to be reactive the UV light must
reach the paint .The blockers in the clears keep it from getting there.I think that's exactly what happened with a light
but sufficient coat of clear. You have given me a possible idea though maybe some smart fella somewhere
knows a way to artificially degrade the blockers wi th UV light or something. Really it doesn't have to be protected but it would be nicer if it was.I have heard there are some old two part acrylic automotive clears without blockers but they have remained elusive.
Your probably right or someone would have figured it out already.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2012 03:12AM by BILL EASTON.

Posted by: Steve Schoene (---.lightspeed.tmblct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 03, 2012 08:57AM

Just a half crazed idea (maybe more than half.) Finish the rod with a good, uv protective epoxy. Then top coat that with a waterborne, glow in the black light, topcoat that would be sacrificial. It wouldn't last very long in sunlight, but being waterborne could be removed fairly easily--most are handily attacked with xylene solvent that won't hurt cured epoxy Then replace the black light reactive material, if the novelty hasn't worn off.

Posted by: Bruce Vetre (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2012 10:41AM

What about an interior Polyurethane?

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.133.---)
Date: January 03, 2012 05:09PM

I sent GlowStop.com a note asking your question, will forward if I get it. You might visit their website, might have some product that you would like.

From my experience, any paint will fail in UV. It's just a matter of time. So covering your paint with a non UV inhibiting clear coat may not work, but will at some time experience "undercoat" failure due to UV. Ever see cars, usually whites, that have big spotches of the white paint gone? That is failure of the primer due to UV damage caused by a too thin topcoat of white. Darker colors are less sensitive to it, but ultimately, when the top coat doesn't protect the primer, the paint flakes off.

Posted by: Kirk_Miller (204.108.0.---)
Date: January 05, 2012 02:09AM

Wait I think we are all missing something.............Black Lights on a Boat?.................Really? Most boats I fish off of My own included it is a plus if you have lights on the boat let alone Black lights...........lol

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 05, 2012 10:33AM

Black Lights ?? Got to be a 70's thing
These guys aren't rolling there own Are they LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Larry Grimm (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 06, 2012 11:36AM

Black lights attract bugs .... bugs attract fish ..... fish attract fishermen .... hence the endless circle .... Larry

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.140.---)
Date: January 07, 2012 09:33AM

My Glowstop.com response just said to use a non UV protected finish, but didn't suggest one. I asked again if they have one they recommend. I'm not sure there is any substantial market for a clear coat without UV protection. I can't find one.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.140.---)
Date: January 11, 2012 06:32PM

Latest response from Glowstop.com:

We recommend Raka or West System products for your consideration. They can be contacted at:

Raka, Inc.
3490 Oleander Ave
Fort Pierce, FL 34982
772-489-4070

West System
102 Patterson Ave.
Bay City, MI 48707-0665
866-937-8797 / 989-684-7286

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster