I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

clean epoxy lines
Posted by: Frank DeFranco (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2012 12:02PM

I am fairly new to the rodbuilding world. To analyse my own work, my handles and reel seat work is good and my design wraps are progressing nicely as well. I also learned to get my epoxy free of bubbles and smooth as glass. My biggest issue is with the epoxy on the guide wraps. I would like to get clean uniform looking epoxy lines where the epoxy transitions from the wrap to the blank. I have used both high build and light epoxy. I have tried taking nylon brushes and trimmed off a lot of bristles to make a finer point, I have tried using a spatula, and a toothpick. It is not so bad that it stands out but I am a bit of a perfectionist with my work. I have a feeling that only experience and time will help me get it perfect, but would like some tips from the more experienced builders on this site. All input is appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: clean epoxy lines
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 01, 2012 12:52PM

Epoxy should never be "brushed" onto the wrap. Instead, load a wide, flat brush with epoxy, hold the brush above the wrap, gently lower the brush to the wrap while rotating the rod underneath the brush. The epoxy will flow onto the wrap in one complete revolution. By extending the brush out beyond the wrap just a hair, you'll get a straight, clean line of epoxy around the blank.

It may help you have a block or something to rest the heel of your hand on so you can hold the brush steady.

It shouldn't take more than perhaps 30 seconds (or less) to finish a guide wrap.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 01, 2012 01:30PM

having the rod turn quickly also helps to get nice edges

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2012 01:52PM

yeah if you use a power wrapper spin the rod at about 200 rpm, then just hold your hand steady and it forms a bead over the edge. looks quite nice actually.

Posted by: Gabe Nakash (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: January 01, 2012 01:52PM

yeah if you use a power wrapper spin the rod at about 200 rpm, then just hold your hand steady and it forms a bead over the edge. looks quite nice actually.

Posted by: Hydra Fishing, LLC (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: January 01, 2012 02:07PM

Frank -

We made this video a little while back after answering the same question at the ORBS gathering. It's not a high end production, but hopefully helps out.

[www.youtube.com]

One thing to note, I usually use a wider brush on wider wraps. I just happened to grab the brush I use on micros when this was filmed. This also went a little slower than normal, but Tom's estimate of about 30 seconds is spot on.

Alex

Hydra Fishing, LLC

Online: [www.hydrafishing.com]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Email: info@hydrafishing.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2012 02:09PM by Hydra Fishing, LLC.

Posted by: Larry Ohara (---.clppva.east.verizon.net)
Date: January 01, 2012 02:41PM

I use a 'dab' of epoxy and run the thin edge of the spatula against the edge of the thread. "Capillary action" (I think that's what they call it.) pulls the epoxy off the spatula and you end up with a nice even and straight line. That's if your thread lines are straight. With experience, your hand gets steadier and you can do it with a brush. Until then I hope this helps.

Larry

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2012 04:05PM

In the event that I go too far or the edge is uneven I fold a paper towel in half and get the rod turning on the lathe and move the paper towell towards the edge until it is even.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2012 06:03PM

If I get an edge that is not straight, i get a coffee filter and fold then wet it with alcohol then hold the filter on the rod and spin the rod and get a straight line of epoxy.

Posted by: Kyle Unser (---.dluxlink.com)
Date: January 01, 2012 07:57PM

what about those of us who turn the rods by hand? With lots of practice I'm finally starting to get smooth epoxy without valleys or ridges, and it looks nice, but I can't seem to find a good way to have a straight edge where the epoxy ends. I've tried spinning it by hand with a paper towel against the epoxy border, but that doesn't work out as well as I'd like. Is taping an option, as in, can I put a single wrap of tape just below the threads and epoxy partially onto the tape, then pull it off before it cures?

Posted by: Frank DeFranco (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2012 07:59PM

Thanks all. I apply the epoxy while the rod is spinning on the drying motor 11 RPM's It looks much easier with the power wrapper as you don't have to hold your hand steady for more than a second or two. The coffee filter trick should also be a help in a pinch

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: January 01, 2012 11:04PM

Put your hand on a stick a two by four -- anything to steady your hand

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Charles Clayton (---.ldcz1.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 02, 2012 02:43AM

As an occasional rod builder I usually use threadmaster lite as a primer and masking tape which is removed as soon as I wick off any excess epoxy, the only thing to watch is the inside of your wrap near the guide leg can end up a bit thin if you brush horizontally, just fix it up with the final coat. I'm sure I could learn to use a brush but tape allows you to get thefirst coat of finish on quick and let any bubbles release.

Posted by: David Spence (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: January 02, 2012 02:33PM

As the rod is turning on the dryer, I take an 8-inch piece of size D or E thread, stretch it tight and hold it perpendicular, on top of the rod and against the edge of the wrap. The thread wicks a small amount of epoxy onto the blank and it is easy to hold in place while the rod revolves a few times.

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: January 03, 2012 12:17PM

Hold a flosser against the edge of the wrap. Works when turning by hand also. Cheap and disposable too!

Posted by: Kyle Unser (---.dsl.fyvlar.swbell.net)
Date: January 05, 2012 02:10PM

I didn't know what you meant by flosser...figured it was aussie slang or something until I saw you were from Florida and thought about it some more. I assume you're talking about the little disposable dental floss things. That's a great idea!

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.245.---)
Date: January 05, 2012 02:35PM

[www.dentek.com]

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster