I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

KIGAN GUIDES; STAINLESS STEEL?
Posted by: Clyde Thomas (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 31, 2011 07:42PM

Having read thru KIGAN's catalog a couple times, I find no mention of the base materials for their guides... anyone know? I'd like to try them, but only if they're a good grade of sst.

Clyde

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: KIGAN GUIDES; STAINLESS STEEL?
Posted by: Hydra Fishing, LLC (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: December 31, 2011 09:18PM

Yes. Kigan guides use stainless steel for all guide frames. Titanium framed guides will be available soon as well.

Regarding it being a "good grade" - we do not disclose the type of stainless. A specific type of steel has to be used to accomodate the press method used to manufacture the guides. We have zero reports of guides frame failures on our 3D guides (which is all we have available). Not only are the guides constructed of a top quality stainless steel that is ideal for the application, other design qualities such as bend radius are properly calculated. This eliminates issues like guide frames breaking between the foot and guide ring.

Feel free to contact us directly anytime for detailed information regarding Kigan guides and other Hydra products. Hydra Fishing works as the special partner in the US for Kigan guides. You can find the best information regarding the US product line available from Kigan at www.hydrafishing.com

Happy New Year!

Alex

Hydra Fishing, LLC

Online: [www.hydrafishing.com]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Email: info@hydrafishing.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2011 09:28PM by Hydra Fishing, LLC.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 31, 2011 11:45PM

we do not disclose the type of stainless.

Why not Is it a trade secrete ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lns13.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: January 01, 2012 04:32AM

Hi Alex,
Can you post here when the titianium frame guides with SiC rings are available, particularly the micros.
Thanks.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: January 01, 2012 07:36AM

Alex,
Thanks, I've got it. I don't need to know the specifics, just wanted to ensure they'll stand up to the salt water in the bay and ocean front. I'll be ordering the Kigan's tomorrow! And as Col stated, please let us all know when the titanium frames are available.

Clyde

Date: January 01, 2012 11:29AM

Clyde/Col - I certainly will! I have a set of inshore rods I use that have been in salt with no corrosion issues and I'm not good about washing them off after use. If you really want Ti type performance but without the cost, we offer a "CC" finish that has a coating on the guides offering Ti type corrosion resistance. It's a white chrome color. We should have a very good stock of these in about a month.

Bill - That is correct. We do not disclose the items that we believe give competitive advantages. The type of steel used is integral in creating a strong, lightweight guide.

Happy New Year!

Alex

Hydra Fishing, LLC

Date: January 01, 2012 11:46AM

I'll be waiting for one of our vendors to get the CC's in stock. Lance? Karen? Bill?

Clyde

Posted by: Doug Cox (74.206.84.---)
Date: January 01, 2012 12:48PM

Is the finish on the " Ion Gold " guides suitable for constant use in saltwater ?

Date: January 01, 2012 02:05PM

Doug -

I will get you an answer.

EDIT - Yes. Since the Ion Gold is applied over stainless frames, it will hold up in constant saltwater environment. As with any stainless frame, it's still a good idea to wash them down with fresh water after use.

Alex

Hydra Fishing, LLC

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2012 12:26AM by Hydra Fishing, LLC.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster