I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread carriage
Posted by: John DeLuca (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 31, 2011 10:39AM

I was bored yesterday so I decided to redo my thread carriage. I changed from the seperate thread tension device to springs on the thread spools and turned them from vertical to horizontal works great with regular thread but the matallic spools keep unwinding themselves. I cant figure out away to stop them from doing that. Anybody have any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread carriage
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 31, 2011 10:49AM

When you say "unwinding" do you mean the thread itself or the spool tension nut? If the latter, then you need to add some sort of washer arrangement behind the tension nut so the revolving spool doesn't cause the nut to back off.

Date: December 31, 2011 10:51AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When you say "unwinding" do you mean the thread
> itself or the spool tension nut? If the latter,
> then you need to add some sort of washer
> arrangement behind the tension nut so the
> revolving spool doesn't cause the nut to back
> off.
>
> ............

Sorry Tom I mean the thread unwinding off the spool.

Date: December 31, 2011 10:59AM

Sort of like it uncoils? Think about a sleeve or cap of some sort for your metallic spools to keep the thread from uncoiling. Of course, once the thread level drops a bit, this shouldn't be a problem.

Posted by: Ross McKay (---.40.214.117.threembb.co.uk)
Date: December 31, 2011 11:03AM

Got the same problem with metallic it's due to the springiness of the thread and still find myself wrapping rods with it from inside a cup

Date: December 31, 2011 11:16AM

I am probably going to go back to the seperate tension device for the matallic thread

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 31, 2011 11:39AM

LOL! Perfect timing on this post:) I built a thread tensioner. Thought it would speed things up. I've always been more of the "from a cup" type too. I'm wrapping four saltwater rods with double foot guides and full underwraps. Aside from a little black in the guide wraps it is all metallic threads.

I have never had such a miserable time in my life. Man what I'd give for some of the old thread. The new stuff is like working with fine spring steel. Shreds when you pull it through. Impossible to pack tight. So fine I can hardly see it. After you snip it off it wraps all over the tensioner. Oh, and did I mention my brand new dryer motor won't run for more than 15 minutes before it overheats? Please don't ask what a "sagging" discovery that was!

So much for a relaxing week long vacation engaged in my favorite hobby building free rods for a friend.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: December 31, 2011 11:52AM

When I clip my metallic to finish a wrap, I put my index finger on the wrap to keep things in place. Then I put the thread between my middle and ring finger (and pinch down on it) and pull some thread, so it isn't under as much tension when you make the cut. When you release the thread after the cut, the metallic won't snap back and wrap around everything.

Sorry, it's a little tough to explain without a visual, but if you need one, I'll try to snap a pic or two later.

Joe

Date: December 31, 2011 12:09PM

I just finished a rough version of what I think is going to work for me. For the matallic thread I put my sewing machine type tensioner on for my regular threads I am using the horizontal all thread with the springs and washers.I can now work 4 regular threads and 2 matallic at once if need be. It seems to work pretty good, will post pictures when I get the finished carriage done.

Posted by: Rick Heil (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 31, 2011 03:49PM

Interesting topic,

When I am ready for the cut on my thread to finish my wrap, I look for that POP! LOL. It tells me my thread is wrapping at the tension I desire. To me its the only way of knowing there was tension behind my wrap to the end of my wrap, if I don't get that little POP! Then I stop to consider if my tensioner was working properly. I suppose its just one way for me knowing there is tension, another is the flex of the blank as it turns. I figured the thread coming off the spool after cutting, is just the happenstance we accept in wrapping. I really don't have the issue of unraveling of the thread when using metallics, for the most part it stays on the spool. Its the non-metallic threads for me, that do the unwind affect no matter what tension is on the spool. I just take it as an acceptance of the craft! I switch to the magnetic tension device and I have very little if any (spider's nest) as I call it LOL. Good day Folks !

Rick H.

rwheil@msn.com

Website
[www.facebook.com]
[home.comcast.net]

Posted by: Gene Rehberg (---.dhcp.eucl.wi.charter.com)
Date: December 31, 2011 06:46PM

To stop the unwinding of the tinsel thread,I put on a small ruber band around the spool, it stops the unwinding.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: December 31, 2011 07:29PM

John; I put a picture of a tensioning method on the photo page that can be adapted to any type lathe. It will allow you to keep tension on the spool and to determine the amount by changing the weight attached. It will also allow you to back up without loosing the tension. The trick to keeping the nut on the shaft holding the spool from unscrewing itself is to have a shaft with a flat on it and a washer with a hole that matches the shaft. The flat keeps the washer from turning so it cannot unscrew the nut.

Date: December 31, 2011 08:38PM

That would no doubt interest a lot of folks at the Expo in February. You'll be next to Andy in the Renzetti booth. Consider bringing it to show off.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.btas.verizon.net)
Date: December 31, 2011 10:05PM

It will be there.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: January 01, 2012 01:47AM

John,
You need to do what many folks use when they do embrodiery, or when they do serging with metallic thread.

They, essentially put a thread net over the top of the thead spool. The thread net allows you to easily remove thread from the spool, but when it is not being pulled off of the spool, will stay on the spool.

You explained the problem very well. i.e. your spool is not rotating, but the springness of the thread is causing the thread to spring off of the spool.

Here is an example of a "thread net" that will work very well on your thread spools to take care of the issues with springy thread:

[www.amazon.com]

[www.gursewingmachines.com]

Take care
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2012 01:50AM by roger wilson.

Date: January 01, 2012 05:55AM

Thanks guys you all have been very helpful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster