I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide replacement
Posted by: chip chappell (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: December 29, 2011 10:20PM

A friend of mine gave me an old lami 7'-6'" spinning rod # mb063 ?? to replace the guides.not sure about the blank#. 7/8" butt and a#12 tip. All Perfection guides 4 to exact .Biggest being a 60. What size fuji guides would be a better upgrade

thanks
chip

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide replacement
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: December 29, 2011 11:22PM

What reel and line are you planning on using? The library has a good article on spinning guide selection and placement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2011 11:24PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: December 30, 2011 09:34AM

Spencer
He has got a Penn 704 and will be using #20lb test mono

thanks for the input

chip

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 30, 2011 10:13AM

Chip times have changed but some fisherman have not. Single foot guides, no underwraps, and the 27X method will improve performance. Question is will your guy be happy with those choices? He is still using an old reel and old line technology. He may be stuck in his ways and feel the large double foot guides with full underwraps are required and may even see such things as a sign of quality. In the end you have to make him happy.

Even hardloys will be a step up but I tend to use alconites. I also use a lot of amtak guides these days. Alps is good as well. You have quality choices other than fuji.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: December 30, 2011 10:43AM

Russell
Yes i think will be happy with anything i can to upgrade the rod. the rod is used for fishing with eels for bass good size fish. what is the 27 method?? i like the single foot guides myself
thanks for the come back

chip

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 30, 2011 10:52AM

make sure he understands that you are going to PREP the guides so they are Smooth and will not hurt the blank

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: James Whelan (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 30, 2011 02:26PM

chip chappell Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Spencer
> He has got a Penn 704 and will be using #20lb test
> mono
>
> thanks for the input
>
> chip

I would be surprised if your friend is using such a large spinning reel on that rod. If not, you might want to advise him to use a smaller one and build the rod accordingly. The 704/704Z has a spool diameter that is almost 2 3/4" and the reel weighs in at 21 oz. It is designed for surf rods of 10' and longer. This will not balance well with the 7 1/2 footer, imo.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 30, 2011 05:26PM

Chip I think it comes down to your relationship with the guy. If he is a friend and you are doing it for free that is one thing. It also depends on how much he cares about looks.

Most Lami's have a finish. Given that you are going to replace double foot guides with single foot guides and re-locate them the rod will need refinishing to look professional. At that point I'd wager you'd have more dollars in labor than what the rod is worth. Also consider that rods and reels like that will always have a following. You can't kill them.

Friend or customer I think you'd be doing the most good by suggesting a new reel and blank. Keep the old outfit or sell it. If you look around for closeouts you can't get great value. JandH tackle often has closeouts on reels. I bought a Trynos and a Stradic recently. I got a killer deal on a lamiglas tri-flex at mudhole and utmost can't be beat for value.

In the long run he would be ahead. I know it is painful. I just gave my old mean green penn and cutom wrapped shakespear wonder rod to a friend.

The 27X method is in the library link at the top of the page. If you just want to replace the guides and don't care about the rest hardloy works. Amtak virtus lites are a personal favorite. I probably wouldn't go single foot with that rod and reel. Best to keep it durable.

But make no mistake, a new reel loaded with braid and a decent quality blank like rainshadow or mhx will give him an outfit that weighs 50% less, will cast longer, and be able to land bigger fish. It will also snap like a dry twig first time he tries to flip a 10 pounder onto the jetty:) If he is inclined towards that go with a composite blank. If you take your time and shop wisely it won't need to cost all that much.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster