I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

10'6 noodle spinning rod build
Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 28, 2011 07:58AM

I have a request to build a 10'6 noodle rod for a friend who fishes during cold weather (icy guides). He's using a Penn 1000 series spinning reel, plan on using a NGC setup will be along the lines of 25, 12, and either 7's or 8's for runners. This is (yet another) new rodbuilding adventure for me, I just wondered if there would be an advantage of using a single foot guide for the tip top instead of a conventional tubed top? Also, from searching past posts I see that a combo of ceramic (25, 12), then TiCh Flexilite #7 or #8 runners would be well-suited for this type of rod? Appreciated!

Many thanks for your help, and wishing everyone a very Happy New year! Mike

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2011 09:58AM by Mike Canavan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Float rod build
Posted by: Frank DeFranco (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2011 08:10AM

Mike, I have built many float rods. I always use a guide for the tip . When I started building them, I got advice from a few builders who built them this way. I would think the main reason is because many float rod builders use i high frame guides and the transition of the line to the top is much smoother.

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.stny.res.rr.com)
Date: December 28, 2011 08:43AM

Thank you Frank, appreciated. I wondered if the reasoning was to smooth the line path vs. a std tip top.

I also apologize and should have been more clear when I hurried through my first post - this will be a spinning rod built on a 10'6 3S106UL2 noodle blank, not an actual "float" rod. 2 - 4# mono on a Penn 1000 reel.

Thanks again, Mike

Posted by: Steve Dyczkiewycz (---.60.188.173.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 28, 2011 09:20AM

It depends on how the rod will be used. If your friend typically casts up stream and runs the drift down stream until the offering swings out of the line, then a tip top will suffice. If he opens the bail at the end of the drift and continues to run it by hand-feeding line, then he could also benefit from a running guide as a tip for the same reason Frank mentioned. On a float rod with a centerpin, a running guide is the best way to go.

Re: 10'6 noodle spinning rod build
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2011 01:40PM

If this rod were going to be used for below freezing temperatures, I would suggest that your friend use a reel with a spool of at least 2000 sized. The reason for this is that the spool is larger, and when you get ice in the reel, it is easier to free the larger loops.

I would also go with the pac bay minima guides, simply because it is easier to flick ice off of this style guides. I would also go no smaller than a size 8 guide. I would also use the matching size 8 tip.

I have built several ice rods - of the pro version that are quite long with this set up. They have been used in temps of -30 degrees F. They work very well under these circumstance.

Since it is a spinning rod, I would make all of the guides singe foot. Really no reason to use anything other than a spinning guide for this setup.

The typical float rod has a fairly moderate action, so I would space the guides as far apart as is reasonable to reduce the number of points that might pick up ice. If the rod has a slow enough action, you might be able to get away with only 7 or 8 guides.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 28, 2011 03:15PM

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the help.

Thanks Roger, I'll check out the size of the reel and make a recommendation for a larger one if thinks it may be an issue. This is a slow-action noodle rod (3S106UL2) so I may be able to get away with less guides, will static test just the same.

Posted by: Frank DeFranco (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 28, 2011 05:42PM

Mike, the newest issue of Rodmaker Magazine volume 14 issue 6 has a good picture of a float rod with a guide for the tip on page 24. Perfect timing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster