I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Guide weight Chart Comparison
Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: December 22, 2011 01:10AM

I have searched and searched. I found a few threads with micro guides measured in grains, some comments regarding how many 3.5's equal one 6, etc, but I have not been able to find a chart that shows the weight of different size micro guides compared to different size conventional guides. I'm looking for any manufacturer, it doesn't matter, that gives a comparison chart like this. Has anyone done this test in grams or oz.? I would really like to be able to show customers the difference on paper and also just to know for myself. An example of what I'm looking for would look something like this:

________ brand guides

Micro guides Conventional guides

Size Weight Size Weight
2 ? 6 ?
...... .... ....... .......

Anyone know of anything like this?

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide weight Chart Comparison
Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.235.189.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: December 22, 2011 01:27AM

simple google, 1 gram = 15.43 grains

Date: December 22, 2011 01:32AM

I know that, what I don't know is if there is a comparison chart that lists the weights of micro guides compared to conventional guides. I can't find one anywhere. If no one knows, or if there isn't one, I'll just eventually build up my own chart. I just thought someone may have already had one or know of one available.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 22, 2011 07:16AM

Dumb idea here but why not contact one the manufacturers and ask them? I'd bet that they have this information and would probably share it with you.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 22, 2011 07:28AM

Each manufacturer has accurate numbers.

Those who are serious about building micro rods for customers know the weight of the guides they use.

Buy a scale get samples of the guides you use and set up your own table of comparison.

That way you will be presenting information that is not "skewed" by any attempt to market the work of others.

Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 22, 2011 07:56AM

David,
Check your mail.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2011 07:59AM

David, the following comment is a bit of playing the part of the devils advocate - so take it with a grain of salt.

Why do you really care about the weight of the guides that you are using.

The simple answer to your question is to use the smallest guides that you can use for a given application and then move on.

Guides with inserts will be heavier than guides without inserts.

Guides made of titanium will be lighter than those make of other metals.

Pick the guides you like, build the rods and have happy customers and go fishing yourself.

I read comments all of the time how much better a rod performs with size 3 micros rather than size 5 micros.

I wonder that if a person was blind folded and fished with one rod of each all day long, would they really have a different number of fish in their boat at the end of the day.

Remember, a rod - custom or not - is nothing more than a tool to catch a fish. it really doesn't matter how it casts, bends, or doesn't move. At the end of the day, the important part of the equation of fishing rods is to put fish in the hands of the person holding the rod.

I think that sometimes, we, as builders lose sight of the reason why the rod is being built. It is not being built to look pretty on a wall, or in a closet, it is being built to put fish in the boat or in the fishermans hands.

Enjoy the holidays and enjoy the occupation.

Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2011 08:06AM by roger wilson.

Date: December 22, 2011 08:00AM

I have a really good scale. Again, I was just wondering if someone already had a chart. I don't have a problem with measuring my own guides I just thought maybe there was a professionally created chart out there somewhere.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 22, 2011 08:05AM

David,

If you're going to be at the Expo in February, bring your scale. You'll have the chance to weigh every single micro style guide on the planet right there. Prepare a spreadsheet or chart beforehand with all the model numbers to speed the process.

I feel sure that almost any of the distributors there will loan you whatever guides you need for preparing such a thing.

Date: December 22, 2011 08:08AM

Thanks Jim. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Roger, a customer asked me and I want to give him a good answer, not a question with a question. I'm not going to ask him why he wants to know. I'm going to try and find out even if I end up ordering different guides and measuring them myself and making a spreadsheet. The simply answer to my question would be either, "I don't know, NO, or Yes".

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Date: December 22, 2011 08:09AM

That's a really good idea Tom. Never even thought about that. Thank you.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2011 08:17AM

David,
Perfect answer and one that makes a lot of sense.
Be safe
Roger

Date: December 22, 2011 08:20AM

I like Tom's idea also. Jim sent me a nice spreadsheet too. That little scale I have is really small and would easily fit in my jacket pocket. I could get a ton of numbers very easy that way.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 22, 2011 08:44AM

You might want to email the folks from Angler's Resources, Batson Ent., American Tackle, Pacific Bay, Kigan, etc., and let them know what you'd like to do at the Expo regarding weighing these guides. Make sure to offer them copies of your results so if they don't already have that information, they will once you're done.

From there you can publish your results here and/or I'll be happy to publish them in the magazine.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2011 09:00AM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: December 22, 2011 08:48AM

I'll do that. Thanks again Tom and Jim for your help on this.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: December 22, 2011 01:00PM

David,
I believe the guide manufacturers already know the weight of the guides they are producing.
These weights are not published due to loss of sales for the company with the heaviest guides.
Several years ago there was a site which was contributed to by rodbuilders for publication of guide weights.
That data base has been abandoned, I believe.
Maintainence and updating would be a perpetual chore as guides series are being discontinued and replaced, as well as certification of scales for accuracy.
Of more importance is the location of that weight on the blank.

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 22, 2011 01:15PM

I set up and maintained that site for a few years and the main problem wasn't the manufacturers it was the builders. Few contributed but MANY were busy telling me what I should add and why didn't I have what they were looking for. Maintaining it wasn't as difficult as dealing with the continuous emails from the "tire Kickers"complaining instead of contributing

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 22, 2011 01:31PM

I hate Tire Kickers They put you though all kinds of Stuff Then don't have the money to pay for it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 22, 2011 04:32PM

Check the new Batson catalog.
It lists all the guides and tip tops weight in grains in the description area of each section of guide.
Also the ring size in OD and ID, along with length and height.
And available on their web site too.
Merry Christmas to all,

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 22, 2011 04:38PM

David like Tom Said, if you come to the show bring your scale or better yet we'll have a scale in the booth. We'll have Micro guides by most of the major manufacturers: Fuji, Batson, American Tackle and Kigan. Come check out our" Micro Guide Central" where they'll all be displaye and for sale..

Lance

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster