I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuzzy Thread
Posted by: Jeff Haley (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2011 01:34AM

Has anyone came across spools of thread that is all fuzzed up ?
Is there any thing you can do to get the fuzz off you wrap before you put CP or finish on?
Thanks for any help.
Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuzzy Thread
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 20, 2011 06:23AM

call the supplier and get another spool

Is it the thread or is it your wrapper Make sure the wrapper is not making the thread fuzz up

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2011 06:26AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: forrest lamprey (---.lightspeed.iplsin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 20, 2011 09:47AM

I agree, request a new spool, but if it's not to bad u can use alcohol type burner which gives off a clean flame and move it QUICKLY over the threads to
burn off any fuzzys. But, if u have a lot, I'd be very careful.
Forrest

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2011 10:02AM

Jeff,
It happens, but it is very rare.
A method to check for any new spool of thread, is to use a good strong light and a magnifier. While holding the thread under the light, just put a lot of tension on the thread, to near the breaking point.
As you do, carefully check the thread for any signs of "fuzzies" starting to pop off of the thread.

It seems that when you encounter a spool of thread like this, it tends to be on the entire length of thread.
So, the best solution, is to pitch the thread into the garbage, grab another spool of thread, check it and get back to wrapping.

The reason to pitch the thread, is that you don't want to accidentally pick up the spool of thread again and wrap a rod and have the same result, after having found the spool to be bad.

This is really a good thing to check on every new spool of thread that you might use.

It happens very seldom, but when it does happen, it normally does not show up until the thread is under tension and you have the guides wrapped and the first coat of finish on. Then you realize how many fuzzies have popped on the thread. Then it is much more difficult and a lot more time consuming to eliminate, rather than to have pitched the bad thread in the first place.

Good wrapping.

Roger

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.arpa.kmcmail.net)
Date: December 20, 2011 10:19AM

Yep, best thing is to cut it off and re-wrap it. Pull a few good lengths off the spool and check to see if it is the entire spool. If it is, just trash it or give it to the wife for her sewing (if applicable), and get another spool of thread.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2011 10:34AM

Fred,
Please don't give the thread to your wife - (if applicable ) for sewing.

You do like to keep your wife close don't you?

Toss the thread, never to see it again and stay friends with your wife.

Roger

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.arpa.kmcmail.net)
Date: December 20, 2011 11:27AM

LOL....I was just kidding Giving my wife thread for sewing is about the same thing as throwing it away....I'll never see it again and she won't use it. Yes, I do love my sweet little wife dearly!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2011 11:28AM by Fred Trahan.

Posted by: Glenn McMurrian (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 20, 2011 05:17PM

I have had this in the past and not much that can be done so just get a new spool

Posted by: Jeff Haley (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 20, 2011 06:59PM

Thanks guys. Looks like it back to the store.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 20, 2011 09:11PM

Back to the store?? What type/brand of thread is it?? Some types are NOT suitable for wrapping as they will swell, fuzz, etc.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jeff Haley (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 22, 2011 01:48AM

The thread is red Gudebrod size A.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster