I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Butt Wrap Layout PC Software
Posted by: Kenneth Kostiha (---.tnt6.tpa2.da.uu.net)
Date: October 22, 2001 11:24AM

Gentlemen: I am looking for some Computor software to layout butt wraps on fishing rods,or other sourses to do this. Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Butt Wrap Layout PC Software
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: October 22, 2001 11:44AM

Kenneth There is one program that was made for DOS and will work under windows however it will not print out in the newer formats,believe the name was rod wrap and it is not currently available.A new program developed by a gentleman from Australia is proposed to be introduced at the upcomming conclave,to the best of my knowledge not much is known about this program at this time but it is suppose to work under the newer windows formats.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.elnk.dsl.gtei.net)
Date: October 22, 2001 12:08PM

The name of the program was "Rod Ware Weave" and was done by Jim Lee and dated 1994. I believe you are correct in that it is no longer on the market.

Posted by: Dave Boyle (203.41.122.---)
Date: October 22, 2001 07:26PM

G'day All,

I will be attending Conclave 2002 (can't wait!) and will be launching my Decorative Butt Wrap software.

The software is a tool for designing and visualizing thread patterns.
You can view finished patterns, or watch them develop one thread at a time. You can change spools quickly to test new colour combinations.

If you are technically minded you can work with pattern scripts and design new patterns from scratch.

The software runs on Windows95 and later.

At the Conclave in January you can find me at the Mudhole booth. Please email me and I'd be happy to let you know more of what the software will do.

Hope to see you at Conclave 2002!

Dave Boyle
(Australia)

Posted by: allen (---.ucc.usyd.edu.au)
Date: October 22, 2001 09:01PM

dave

wow shes come along way by the sounds of it.
will have to arrange a meeting one day to check it out in its finished form. Good luck with this venture she was a beaut when I saw the bare bones version so she must be pretty flash now.

allen

Re: Will it be available after the Conclave
Posted by: Steve (---.mobile1.al.home.com)
Date: October 23, 2001 12:38AM

I don't know if I will be able to attend the Conclave, so will the software be available after the Conclave? I REALLY need this little jewel!

Thanks,
Steve

Yep
Date: October 23, 2001 03:19AM

Steve,

Yes it will. I'll post updates on this and the Guild board with info as it becomes available.

Did I mention the 3D viewer? Imagine your newly designed pattern "wrapped" on a virtual fishing rod which you can drag around the screen to view from any angle....

Regards
Dave

Re: Yep
Posted by: allen (---.gsf0101.gsf.iprimus.net.au)
Date: October 23, 2001 05:09AM

guys

Ive just recieved some screen shots from david that displays some of the potential of "butt wrap" and they look simply fantastic. I urge you all to hunt it out once available. Butt wrapping wont be the same once a few savvy designers get their hands on this little beauty. Well done Dave I reckon your on a real winner with this one

Allen Glover
shearwater custom rods

Posted by: Jim Levy (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 23, 2001 01:35PM

Page 96 of the current Clemens catalog has "Don's Wrap Right" listed for $14. This is a simple DOS based program that computes spacing for tapered offset spacing of closed butt wraps. Easy, effective and prints out the spacing after the calculation is completed.
I've used it for years and have no complaints.

Date: October 23, 2001 03:41PM

Jim
you are referring to an entirley different type of program,if Dave's new program is anything similar to the old wrap program you can see step by step how to do various wraps and design your own using the program,while the one you are referring to might be excellent it is just different.

Date: October 23, 2001 09:43PM

John,

You're right in that mine will let you design and then show the wrap as it develops.

Once it is wrapped, you can indicate the size and taper of your rod, and the pattern will appear as if it were layed out using a tapered offset spacing. The software will also produce a spacing chart for the layout.

Regards
Dave

Posted by: Sanford Hochman (---.cape.com)
Date: October 23, 2001 10:27PM

Can this program be bought now, and how much does it cost? Also where can it be bought?

Date: October 23, 2001 10:54PM

Please email me directly for more information. Shortly I will have a website up which will answer most questions.

Regards
Dave

Cost? Who cares
Posted by: Steve (---.mobile1.al.home.com)
Date: October 23, 2001 11:59PM

I don't care what the cost is. JUST GIMME GIMME GIMME!!!!! ....lol

Steve

Re: Cost? Who cares
Date: October 24, 2001 07:52AM

Steve Shut Up-we got to let Dave think we are not that interested in the software.LOL

Re: Cost? Who cares
Posted by: trouty (---.interpacket.net)
Date: October 24, 2001 11:36PM

I too have seen a couple of daves 3D pics, of decorative butt wraps.
They are mind blowing.
I do hope you guys will get behind his efforts - I think it's one of the most interesting applications of computing to the angling scene that I've seen since i first peeked at the visual wrap beta program a year or two ago.
It deserves to do well.

Theres a little "prize" for the first guy can design me a spiffy corporate "trouty" word logo for the butts of my fly rods, with a wee trout in the pattern!

(A days guided fly fishing trip after trout or black bream...your call!).
P.s. I'm the judge and final arbiter!

Go too it! ;o)

Cheers!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster