I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

EVA behaves differently at longer lengths.
Posted by: Ken Tong (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 15, 2011 01:32PM

I had only used 2-4" sections of EVA for split grips until this morning when I tried to put a 12" section on a sturgeon build. It was no problem to get .5" ID over much larger blanks with short pieces of EVA. It was impossible for me (who lifts weights regularly and can bench 225lbs, so I'm not feeble by any means) to get the 12" .5" ID section down a blank area with a OD of .52"-.63". I got it down maybe 7" before I had to cut I off before the quickbond set...
I guess I'll need to ream out the EVA like cork on the longer sections...I guess what they say about assuming things is true...
Hopefully this saves someone the aggravation I went through...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EVA behaves differently at longer lengths.
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 15, 2011 01:35PM

Yes, and no. With a grip that long you need epoxy underneath it all along its length. Have you read the mounting instructions for EVA on the FAQs page?

Date: December 15, 2011 01:42PM

Yes, and I out plenty of quickbond above where it was intended to go...maybe I didn't put enough...

Date: December 15, 2011 01:45PM

^put, not out.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 15, 2011 01:47PM

When you cut it off, what did you find - any dry areas between the blank and grip?

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: December 15, 2011 02:39PM

I wouldn't use "quick"bond. In many ways I like west systems best but regular rod bond is fine.

The harder the EVA is the less it stretches. The wood grain looking stuff was very hard to expand. A push board does help.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Ken Tong (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 15, 2011 02:51PM

In my frustration, I got some epoxy on my finger tips, so I felt like there was epoxy throughout, but I may have been mistaken...

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 15, 2011 04:25PM

Ken,
Did you use a piece of rod blank somewhat smaller than the hole in the grip to completely saturate all sides of the inside of the hole in the EVA.
This would be in addition to completely coating the rod blank for about two feet above where you actually want to start sliding the EVA down.

You want a good generous amount of epoxy on every single spot on the inside of the hole of the EVA so that there is not a single dry spot anywhere on the inside of the blank.

If you only put epoxy on a foot or so above where you start and only on the blank, you almost surely will have dry spots on the inside of the grip.

Personally, I like to always ream EVA, Foam, or Hapalon to almost - or the actual same size as the blank. I just don't like to do the big push thing when I am putting the grip in place.
But what ever method you prefer and works for you - use it.

Also, I use ONLY 30 minute drying epoxy. With 30 minute drying epoxy, the epoxy stays nice and thin for at least 5 minutes so it gives you enough time to get everything done before there is ANY thickning of the glue.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Ryan Higgins (---.130.132.122.nwinternet.com)
Date: December 15, 2011 06:33PM

Using the technique on this site I was able to slide a 16" Hypalon grip down a rod blank with a .8ø at the bottom. It's all about inside coverage of the bonding agent to help slide it down.

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.196.sag.speednetllc.com)
Date: December 16, 2011 04:25AM

For the tight fitting ones, I take some Acetone and put it inside the grip while holding my thumb on the bottom end. Shake it around making sure to saturate the inside of the grip, then slide it down like butter over your properly rod bond coated blank. I forget who gave me that tip.

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.41.70.115.static.exetel.com.au)
Date: December 16, 2011 06:23AM

I do much the same as Tony but use D.A. instead of Acetone (a scared of doing damage to the blank)

Regards Baz

Bundeena NSW

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.235.189.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: December 18, 2011 05:54PM

Ditto on the two above my, except with lacquer thinner. I have found denatured alcohol can dry out before I am to slide it down. With laquer thinner I have found that I can get a .5" ID EVA over a .8" OD butt with little effort.

Something was said earlier that I need to echo as well. A push board will do wonders as well as once you start, DO NOT STOP. The moment you stop is the moment you need to cut it off most of the time.

Rod Bond will be your better choice over quickbond in this situation as well unless you work very very fast.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 18, 2011 06:22PM

Ream the handle to get a closer fit This can be done Use Regular Rod Bond so you do not have to be in any hurry in case -- like this you have trouble

When you slide it down if it stops at less then 1/2 the handle length ream it more Dry fit

get that 12" section to go down so you have 6" to go

Why bother with all the garbage -- make it fit so it is easier

And make sure you have the inside of it totally covered with the adhesive When very tight they will push any glue out give yourself some room for glue

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ken Tong (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 20, 2011 08:36PM

So an update: I reamed the new grip out, and put triple the rod bond and it slid into place nicely. Thanks.

Posted by: Rod Carlson (---.jetstream.xtra.co.nz)
Date: February 04, 2012 05:43PM

I have also heard and am about to try myself, thin the rod bond with D.A ! Takes awhile to mix properly but my friend builds loads of offshore rods and has no problem. Also when taping the grip to protect from glue, make sure you don't wrap it too tight

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster