I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

guide wrapping help and pic upload?
Posted by: BILL EASTON (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 12, 2011 06:11PM

I have bin trying different ways to do what I guess would be called my second over wrap on my second rod build. My under wraps look good my first over wraps have been looking better and so have my second over wraps the problem is when I coat the thread I have had what appears to look like thread from my second over wrap falling of the ends and I get tiny gaps that where not there before the final coat . I already feel I possibly wrap my guides to tight already so I don't want to wrap them even tighter. This is how I wrap my guides. If I am doing a under wrap obviously I do that first, then give a light coat of epoxy just enough to soak in to thread and let dry. Then I do first guide wrap and another light coat of epoxy and let dry. Then I wrap one more time and finish. I do every thing with size A thread. Should I wrap first over wrap with size D then do second with Size A ? Do I need to back my first wraps a little more back from the ends ? Its barely noticeable but it bothers me. I attached a few pics to show what I mean my 6 year old son wanted a Christmas theme lol. Never mind I now also need help to up load pics I can find the option in the photo gallery.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: guide wrapping help and pic upload?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 12, 2011 06:23PM

You'll need to register and log in on the photo page and then the upload option will appear.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2011 07:26PM

Bill,
Can you describe the build you are doing?
i.e. is it just a simple wrap?
Is it a heavy salt water rod?
Unless you have a wear issue or a rod that is normally rested on the gunnel of the boat, you likely don't need more than a single wrap on a rod. But again, that is your choice.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 12, 2011 11:06PM

Not sure what you have going on Bill, but if you must wrap on top of another wrap - wrap the 2nd wrap in a different direction than the first.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 13, 2011 07:19AM

If the thread is falling off the end of the guide foot sounds like they may need more of a taper
Better guide prep ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: December 13, 2011 11:28AM

I am a little confused....just trying to understand what is going on. Did I read:

Underwrap with a coat of epoxy.

Guide wrap with another coat of epoxy.

Then a second over wrap with another coat of epoxy?

All done with size A threads?

Posted by: Steve Cox (50.80.11.---)
Date: December 13, 2011 12:24PM

Prepping your guide foot well (thin, smooth, symmetrical, to a point) is a key ingredient to ease of wrapping. Also, tight tension on the thread at the beginning wrap on the point of the guide foot can create a problem. If the first wrap on the guide foot wants to snap under it, I usually go back and lighten the tension a little and try again. If it just won't take then the whole foot is not 'flat' on the blank or I didn't prep the foot thin enough. Trial and error 1000's of times has lead me to this simple conclusion. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Steve Cox (50.80.11.---)
Date: December 13, 2011 12:28PM

Prepping your guide foot well (thin, smooth, symmetrical, to a point) is a key ingredient to ease of wrapping. Also, tight tension on the thread at the beginning wrap on the point of the guide foot can create a problem. If the first wrap on the guide foot wants to snap under it, I usually go back and lighten the tension a little and try again. If it just won't take then the whole foot is not 'flat' on the blank or I didn't prep the foot thin enough. Trial and error 1000's of times has lead me to this simple conclusion. Hope this helps.

Date: December 13, 2011 01:26PM

Joe

Nothing is written in stone Not every builder does things the same way They find they don't need all that thread
Do you need three layers of thread Depending on the rod Trying to get finish to soak into three layers of thread at one time is difficult for the finish to Penetrate all the thread

Try experimenting on a scrap blank if the guides are prepped well maybe only A under and D over

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: December 13, 2011 03:14PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Joe
>
> Nothing is written in stone Not every builder does
> things the same way They find they don't need all
> that thread
> Do you need three layers of thread Depending on
> the rod Trying to get finish to soak into three
> layers of thread at one time is difficult for the
> finish to Penetrate all the thread
>
> Try experimenting on a scrap blank if the guides
> are prepped well maybe only A under and D over

Bill....I know there is not "one way" to do things and I try to keep my mouth shut and ears open on this board as I have tons to learn.

I ask because I do mostly saltwater rods with an underwrap of size A....maybe or maybe not a coat of CP before wrapping guides with D over the A.....then 2 or 3 coats of epoxy.

If what Mr. Easton is describing is going to give me better results I am all ears. The last thing I want to do is appear to be criticizing....I am in no position to do that.

I think you just told me why coats of epoxy between wraps may be advantageous.

Date: December 13, 2011 04:28PM

Have you had any problems with just two coats of thread ????

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 13, 2011 07:41PM

Bill,
Even though it is a saltwater rod, have you tried to use just one layer of thread wrap and then epoxy and call it finished?

With todays guides, I am not sure that you are really needing the other layers of thread, but it is certainly up to you.

Roger

Posted by: BILL EASTON (---.hrbgpa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: January 02, 2012 11:09PM

thanks for all the help guys I just needed to back them off a little more looks good now

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster