I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

GPS software questions
Posted by: Jeff Gross (---.sc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 11, 2011 12:38PM

I've been playing with the GPS software and am a little confused with the results. I measured a Stradic 4000FI and got the following measurements A(rear to blank line)-87 mm, B (Spool tip to blank line)-75.5mm, C 126 mm. I then tried the 27X measurements and got A ( spool tip to blank line)-75.5mm and B ( spool diameter) 50 mm.
Using Y guides I find the results show a difference in choke point 80.26 in from spool tip for the measure reel method and 53.15 mm for the 27X with markedly different guide placements.
This places a first 25 mm guide at 17 in going down to 6 mm at 47 in with the 27x method and 10.5 mm from spool tip down to 6 mm guide at 29 in with the other method. They seem very different.
And to make things more confusing with the cone of flight measurements from from Clemmons book it places a 30 mm butt guide at 29 in.
Confused.

Jeff

Columbia, SC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: GPS software questions
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 11, 2011 03:06PM

No reason to be confused - 3 different systems are apt to provide 3 different results. Each locates guides based on different criteria. Try each one and see which works best for you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2011 06:36PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Jeff Gross (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 12, 2011 09:26AM

Tom
I understand there might be slight differences between methods however there is a 27 in difference in the choke point guide placement between the GPS method and your 27X method. Considering the choke guide placement is critical to placement of the remainder of the guides then why do you think there is such a big disparity? Am I missing something or calculating incorrectly?

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 12, 2011 09:44AM

Good plan. I have measured the same reel and have a slightly lower (2.5mm) backside of 84.3. My choke point with your data shows it at 32.4 inches from the spool tip. I'm showing a 16mm (Y) stripper at 18 inches from the spool axle tip. 27X puts a 20mm at 23 inches. Different, yes, but not that different. I agree with Tom, I'd try both.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 12, 2011 09:48AM

You would have had them set by now if you used either the 27x or even the table top way ??? I have tried both and have gotten the same results

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2011 10:03AM

Jeff,
Don't over think guide placement.
In virtually all of these cases, the various types of guide placements are a "starting point" for the final guide position and size.

Use any of the systems that you prefer to set up the initial guides and locations.

Run your line from the reel through the guides.
Check the line position with respect to guides - in all reel spool position, both with the blank straight and with the blank bent.

If you find that the line doesn't have a clean flowing line on an unbent blank (i..e. casting) - from all spool positions and or you have improper blank loading under a bent blank situation - change guide size and or position as needed.
If you want, you can also test cast. But, as long as you have a clean straigt unimpeeded line flow you will generally find that you will need to make no changes - even if you do test casting.

Move on and build another rod.
Time is a wasting.

Under most situations, it should take no more than a few minutes to size, position, and test guides before beginning to wrap.

Good luck and enjoy.

Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 12, 2011 10:06AM

Jeff,

I believe that spool diameter is the more critical factor, not spool upsweep angle, in determining the choke guide location. With 27X, If you take two spools with the same diameter, you'll have the same choke point location. However with the standard Fuji system, if you take two spools with the same diameter, but with different upsweep angles, you'll get different choke point locations. Because line is pulled, not shot, from the spool, upsweep angle really has very little to do with casting qualities. That's one of the reasons I settled on the use of the spool diameter, multiplied by a factor derived from over 100 trial and error set-ups, as the basis for my version of the system. You'll find that due to the variance of various manufacturers' spool upsweep angles, using spool upsweep angle for choke guide location provides results that are all over the board, including times when the choke guide is located completely beyond the rod tip.

Of course, line size and type play a role as well. It'll only take you about 15 minutes to give both placements a thorough run-through. Why not try them both and see which seems to work and feel best to you.

Posted by: Jeff Gross (---.central.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 12, 2011 11:21AM

Tom
I agree with you that the angle prob is not that important. I actually like your method ( 27X for choke guide and then straight edge for other reduction guides). I can use any type of guide, not just Fuji which this GPS requires.
I did notice a little bug in the software though. If you calculate the choke with the measurement method first and then do the 27X calculation on their software and then go back to recheck the measurement calculation the software changes the choke point from 32 in to 80 in but leaves the reduction guide placement the same.

For those starting out, like me, the 27X method does require to have a number of test guides in different styles on hand to place on the blank for placement and number calculation so that the correct number, style, and material ( such as titanium) can then be ordered.

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 12, 2011 11:35AM

Jeff: Thanks for pointing that out! I just reproduced what you describe and we need to get on that right away.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster