I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First time turning a cork grip
Posted by: Jeff Bernier (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2011 10:46PM

So I got this guy that wants me to complete a rod that is wrapped but not complete. I have to coat it and have to turn the cork handle. I am looking for some info on how to do this so far this is my thoughts. First find the pedal for the sewing motor I have to turn the handle with some control. Other alternative is turn it with a cordless drill mounted to a block and set up on my rod wrapping table.
Any advice or help would be great, also is there any web sites I could go to to check out different handle styles he is looking for a half well design.

As always thanks in advance because the guys here always come through.

Jeff

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First time turning a cork grip
Posted by: Brandon Gay (---.dsl.crchtx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 09, 2011 11:09PM

I use a drill with a foot pedal and all thread supported on rollers. Works great and is my favorite part of the build.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 10, 2011 12:39AM

Unhide your email and I'll send you grip schematics drawings.

Date: December 10, 2011 12:40AM

Will do I did not know it was hidden.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 10, 2011 08:04AM

First of all - you do not want to foul-up your wrapping area with cork dust.

I use the Flex coat cork lathe and highly recommend it. Better than any conventuional lathe. Why would you want to use a cordless drill?? Get a $40 7Amp Rigid from home depot.
The only control you need is a light or heavy touch with the sand paper. I have never needed to adjust the speed of the drill motor (2500 rpm).

Sending pice to email
Herb

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 10, 2011 08:05AM

Check here for the way others have made the drill laths [www.rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bruce Vetre (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2011 12:57PM

Whether you make a lathe, or buy one like the Flex Coat Cork Lathe, go to Flex Coat's website and check out their video. Roger is very informative, and it's cool to see.

Date: December 10, 2011 01:09PM

As always very helpful, thanks very much for the e-mails and advice, I picked up the rod this morning and will be setting something up real soon to get this underway. Any more advice will be great, I will be checking back and I will let all know how it goes, wish me luck.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2011 03:18PM

Jeff,
With respect to a lathe -
Check out pawn shops and used tool shops. You can often find an excellent tool at a fraction of new price, but still in very good condition.

You can use a corded drill mounted in a stand for a source of power if you like. I prefer to go fast, so the faster the better.

You can also use a buffer motor or pump motor that has a thread on the end of the shaft. Then, simply screw a 1/2 inch chuck with the standard 1/2X20 thread onto the end of the shaft to hold a rod that can be used to hold the grip while turning.
You can use a simple v block to hold the end of the rod, or you can use a board with a hole drilled into the end to hold the rod if you don't want to build up a set of roller supports.

Take care
REW

Date: December 10, 2011 09:39PM

Well do to needing to keep cost low at the start i am going to go with the drill mount and a v block for the other end. I am going to run a strip of neoprene to strapped over the rod in the v block to hold it in place. Now I just need to find the time to get this set up I hope maybe tomorrow, after I go fishing Ha Ha. All work and no play make Jeff a dull boy.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 11, 2011 09:15AM

Jeff,
Don't run a strip of neoprene over the V-block.
A really good chance that the rod will catch on the neoprene.

Rather, just make a straight sided block in the wood and line the block with felt. That is just a bit bigger than the rod on which you are turning the handle.

Then, if you are worried about the rod hopping out of the groove, you can put a straight bar across the top of the rod and drill a couple of holes through both pieces of wood and bolt it in place with a thru bolt.

Things get very messy if a piece of material gets wrapped around a spinning rod.

Take care
REW

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 12, 2011 08:05AM

Ditto re Jeff's comments. Neoprene - or any other non-slippery material is a really bad idea. The slippery "casters used to slide furniture are much better - but nothing beats wheels.
Herb

Date: December 12, 2011 10:11AM

Thanks REW almost screwed that one up, I will do the felt and a block on the top in needed thanks.

Date: December 14, 2011 12:54AM

So far so good I have choose to go with the drill set up at this point, to save money. it is a slow go but it is work just fine. thanks for the help as always.

Jeff

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster