I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Low-Profile Baitcasting Reels
Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 09, 2011 09:45AM

This is a new subject to me, but one that has piqued my interest: there is evidently more and more use of low-profile baitcasters like the Abu Garcia Revo, even for saltwater applications. Whereas 15-years ago a backbay guy might have sneered at these things as "smallmouth reels," now there are evidently models out there that will easily tame fish way bigger than you would reels in this size class are capable of. A big redfish on a flat or a big striper in a Jersey back bay seem to be no problems for these things.

My curiosity has been piqued because it seems to me that the low-profile baitcasters seem to be ahead of the curve, in terms of the technology in them, than the round ones are. Take Abu's current lineup, for example: the C3 round baitcasters have been around forever, and still work very well; but the Abu low-profile baitcasters like the Revo seem, to my ignorant eyes anyway, to be much more technologically advanced than the C3 reels are.

So my question: what are the advantages of these reels? Is is purely ergonomics? Or are there other advantages they have that might make a guy choose a low-profile baitcasting reel over a more traditional round one? Are the traits of these reels applicable to saltwater use, or are they mainly reels for freshwater/bass fishing?

P.S. I realize that this is not strictly a rodbuilding question, but it's close enough, I hope, to avoid breaking any of the rules here (this information will help me become a better rodbuilder, if that helps). If not, please delete this. I figured I'd ask here because I figured I'd get better information here than I'd be able to get anywhere else - the collective knowledge on this board is that good.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Low-Profile Baitcasting Reels
Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 09, 2011 10:19AM

Not to familiar with Abu Garcia as I'm a Shimano guy but yes, low profile bait casters have come a long way. This is strictly from a Shimano reel standpoint but I think most reel companies follow the same line.
Generally speaking, you can pack the same amount of line on either style reel, of the same size of course, but have less weight and a better fit if you palm your reels. The breaking systems are a little more adjustable, I think, on the low pros as well. The VBS system is only available on the low pro reels or you can spend 3X the money for the digital control reels to achieve the same thing.
The drags are just a good and casting distances are just as good between the reels.
You can certainly use a freshwater reel in salt but be prepared to clean it every trip, more than just a rinse, but you'd be better off to go with a reel designed for saltwater if you plan on using it there.

Like anything else, some people just like a certain style.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: December 09, 2011 10:57AM

The main advantage to me is less torque in the hand. Line come off the reel a lot closer to the blank. Smaller guides with all that gives you.No need to do the acid wrap thing as much with low profile so i can use same rig for tip up and tip down applications: one less rod on the boat.
Having said that I still throw a hi profile two speed (round reel) modified ABU 9000 without a level wind or a DAIWA SlooSH series reel when i want to throw something big a good distance.

Posted by: brad parker (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: December 09, 2011 10:59AM

I do use abu garcias a good bit. I like the rounds reels, but the low pros are just more comfortable to me. I still use the old round abu garcia, they are hard to beat as far as durability. If you want a nice updated round reel, check out the abu garcia record reels. That is what I use for wade fishing. Another good round reel is the 5600ws. Those two reels are some of the best casting round abu garcias. They also have updated drag washers for larger fish. They do still have weighted breaking systems though. Right now I mostly use the abu garcia orra inshore reels. They have been good so far. Like Mathew stated they hold plenty of line, good drag, and the brakeing system is a lot easier to ajust. The revo inshore is nice, just a little pricey. Most reel companies now make saltwater low pro reels. You can use the freshwater version, you just need to clean them more.

Re: Low-Profile Bait casting Reels
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2011 11:12AM

I agree they came a long way since the round shaped bait casters, As for me, I really like the less weight, like on the new Quantum's, and I have also a Core 50 Mg Shimano, and the Garcia Revo Premier, I think so does my fishing buddy, that they are high priced, but like told him and he knows concerning my hands which an accident had burned them pretty bad, so I look to the lighter reels, which I think they are really great for me. Tight lines.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: December 09, 2011 11:56AM

I think the advent of braid some years ago let people try lighter, smaller reels which led to converts looking for the same comfort, and technology with greater line capacity. Probably the multi sized Quantum Pro series was one of the first, letting people get a taste for what was possible, and it's just gotten better.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.lightspeed.nworla.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 09, 2011 12:14PM

Just to clarify from above that only low profile reels have the VBS systems. The calcutta series 50,100,200,400 and 700 from Shimano, plus their Cardiff and Corvalus reels which are all round reels have the VBS (Variable Braking Systems ).

Lance

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.144.---)
Date: December 09, 2011 06:17PM

It appears to me that the manufacturers are putting their reseach and development budgets primarily into the low profile reels because they believe the fisherman like them better, probably because of ergonomics. As they put more and more $$ into the low profile reels, the round reels become more and more marginal in their appeal. It is hard to argue with the performance and price of the Shimano Curado 200's. I'm sure others will add their favorites, and I'm sure they are right. I'm just not familiar with all the reels on the market. When you look at drag performance, weight, drive ratios, casting performance, reliability, and appearance, the new low profile reels are truly amazing values. I'm sure there are others out there, like me, that thought the Pflueger Supreme narrow spool free spools were pretty special, and now they are totally obsolete. I remember starting with a basic Pflueger, a Summit or something like that, and casting with the click on to keep it from backlashing. Pretty noisy, and it didn't last very long, but it was where I began.

We are in a much better place now.

Posted by: Jeff Davis (---.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 09, 2011 07:59PM

I don't think this was touched on above, but from the rod building standpoint, you can use a smaller guide for the butt guide since the reel is closer to the blank. Just another way to eliminate some weight from the tip.... :)
Jeff

Posted by: Derek Mccarty (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 09, 2011 09:27PM

It's all about comfort and trends. All the new technology allows any of the quality reels to perform equally well. I use shimano curados for bass fishing and round garcias for bigger species. No complaints with any but the low profile is much more comfy when it comes to casting all day. As stated above they make revo saltwater reels as well as others. I believe its like the micro guide thing, they're lighter and offer an advantage in certain situations and wouldn't be preferred in others. Just a matter of personal choice and type of fishing. Bass fishing has exploded over the last decade and so have the low profile reels, and companies have followed suit.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 10, 2011 09:40AM

I think a low profile reel has an advantge when you are using light enough tackle to fish with one hand. Think back to the days of pistol grip rods. Think back when low profile reels arrived. I was very fond of the shimano bantam. Now I could cast 1/8 ounce jigs and catch crappie on a baitcaster. I still have some of those reels, bantams and magforces, and they still work fine.

I wouldn't hesitate to use a revo or curado if I was going to fish with one hand. The second I need a longer butt to fight and cast with I no longer see the advantage. I do own a curado. The performance is nice at first feel. I could fault it for having a plastic feel and lacking in the refined smoothness one gets from an all machined reel. Taking it apart is where I find reason for concern. Ergonomically I can see many picking the curado. From my observations of the insides the calcutta will last longer.

To Chris I'd ask if he could consider going with a reel one step larger (but lighter in weight) than the Abu's? If so you might wish to look at he likes of a penn 525 mag. They will out cast a abu but does not have as wide of range on the cast control. They aren't the reel of choice for casting into a stiff wind on a dark night:) Taking it apart you see gears and drags that are stouter than a 4/0 senator in a light graphite framed reel. I'd say it holds about the same, perhaps a little more, line as the Abu 6500C3. IMHO it would be the better choice if you are after stripers and big red drum. I'd pick the revo/curado if I wanted to toss 1/4- 1/2 jigs with plastic tails and the fish weren't too big, say 10# range. I'd go with the calcutta/Abu for larger jigs and plugs and fish to the 20# range. Beyond that the penn mag would give me more confidence as it's gears and drag are far superior.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2011 09:55AM

Sorry for the delay in replying, guys - I've been away from the computer for a few days. Thanks for posting - this is helpful information. We're going to see how this works out -- I'm going to do some experimenting with a couple of low-profile baitcast reels (Penn Sargus) that I got on closeout. I'm going to put them on a couple of back-bay rods, and see how they work. It should be a fun experiment.

Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 12, 2011 11:56AM

I have a curado 200 that I use all the time for snook and trout. I retired my ambassadeur for the much lighter curado simply for the weight savings and better cast control the curado gives me. It has caught hundreds of snook large and small. No problems. As long as you maintain them properly and keep them clean you shouldnt have any problems fishing them in a saltwater environment.

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster