I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Recommendations on short 4wt fly rod blanks for Christmas gifts
Posted by: Craig Strong (67.51.70.---)
Date: December 07, 2011 12:04PM

I have three kids, 11, 9 and 9, who each want to build their own fly rod. They have been fly fishing with me since each was five years old, nymphs dragged behind our canoe, mainly, occasional nymphing in creeks and small rivers. Next is teaching them to cast dries. A 6' 6" to 7' 6" 4wt rod is what I want them to learn to cast on.

Any favorite blanks that you've built/cast that will not break the bank?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Craig

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2011 01:17PM by Craig Strong.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recommendations on short 4wt fly rod blanks for Christmas gifts
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: December 07, 2011 12:13PM

If you can go with a 7'6" 4 weight utmost has some on closeout. The price is right and they are decent blanks. Might have a few scratches at worst. Hard to go wrong for 18 bucks.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Craig Strong (67.51.70.---)
Date: December 07, 2011 01:24PM

Thanks, Russ. That's a good deal. Three or four piece would be preferred to pack smaller as we do a lot of camping.

Anyone had any experience with blanks from [www.rdpflyrods.com] ?

Craig

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 07, 2011 01:28PM

The Batson RX-6 and Pac Bay Tradition blanks are very good for the money. I think both make a couple of options in the short 4wt line up. I did 3 of the RX-6 7-6 5wts for my nephews a few years ago for Christmas and the boys had no trouble learning to cast on them and they were about the same age as your kids.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: December 07, 2011 01:35PM

FWIW I'm not a fly rod fisherman. Yesterday four of the Utmost fly rods arrived at my house. There were two 8'6" 5 weights and, in the better grade RX8, a 9' 6 weight and a 9' 9 weight. The only fly rod I had to comapre with is a "white river" package deal I got at bass pro shops. It is rated as an 8 weight (but is a dog). I felt the 6 weight was maybe a more powerful rod and certainly a ton faster.

Bottom line, I think you could over line them.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 07, 2011 02:32PM

I would suggest a RX-7 or higher I myself don't like RX 6 They are too soft for me

Check out American Tackle Matrix Series

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2011 02:38PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Dick Ross (---.ien.ada.in.ena.net)
Date: December 07, 2011 02:56PM

I have used Sevier manufacturings 7'6" 3/4 wt 4pc for youth builds. They are inexpensive and cast well. I think they are around $32 a blank. I have one that is a personal rod that I use alot. They are a little faster than the rx6. The Utmost blanks would also be a steal at $18 a pop, if they have any left.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 07, 2011 03:35PM

For youngsters, the Batson RX6 is hard to beat.
Here is a link.
Note there are 4 and even 5 piece blanks available.
[www.schneidersrods.com]

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 07, 2011 05:08PM

In that particular size and weight, I like the Tiger Eye 7'6" 3/4 weight. Very attractive blank with a nice medium/fast action. This is the same blank mentioned by Mr. Ross. The Tiger Eye 7'6" comes in Brown (my favorite color), Matte Black and Green. They also have a 7' model of this blank, but I have never built on it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2011 05:09PM by Bob Riggins.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 07, 2011 05:23PM

Ron

Above has them

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 07, 2011 06:45PM

I just received two of Utmost closeout fly blanks. They are 7 foot 4 weight, and are quite nice. i got a plum colored one and matte graphite.

I am gong to build one as a spinning rod, and the other as a fly rod? i think they will work well. The spinning rod is for my brother in law for crappie fishing. I made myself one last year, and it worked well for crappie.

I did weigh them this afternoon, and the plum was .2 oz less than the matte. I would have thought the opposite. Just an FYI.

Bert Nagy

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 07, 2011 07:19PM

I second the recommendatio of the Batson RX6 for kids. Easy for them to cast and inexpensive if the damage them.

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 08, 2011 08:39AM

RX-6 (F-764-4) great starter fly rod, and then in the RX7(IF793-4). I have built a few of each in the 3 and 4 wts for clients targeting the Shenandoah brook trout streams and have heard nothing but great things. Great overall value. I am currently building on a 8'6 4wt. MHX blank for another client and hope to have the guides on later today for some test casting. Feels light and very responsive so we'll see. Very thin walled blank vs. some of the others I have seen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster