I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

straightening guides, on rod?
Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2011 01:01PM

I just built a rod, and after the epoxy has cured, like a week later, I looked down the rod and the guides toward the tip were off, I thought at first the tip was off, but then I checked and the tip was right in line with the butt guide, so is there any other way to correct this then to redo them, I think I will have to redo them, but hoping for a another way possibly better way. any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: straightening guides, on rod?
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: December 06, 2011 02:09PM

Back when I used to drink that was a routine occurance.... no choice except to rewrap. Lifelong lesson, barley soda's only when expoy has set (or none at all)..... too much chance to mess ups! LOL

Tom

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.245.---)
Date: December 06, 2011 03:02PM

Before you strip all of the guides, see if moving the lowest guide on the tip is out of line with the rest of the tip guides and tehn move it.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Dave Loren (---.prvdri.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 06, 2011 05:17PM

The heck with it. A few burbons will straighten them rite out.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 06, 2011 05:59PM

It just LOOKS that way
Wait till you sober up They will still be out of line Doooo

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 06, 2011 06:25PM

LOL!! I just knew I was going to get that, I haven't had a drop of alcohol of any kind in over 3 years, Thanks be to the Lord! Amen! and Chris, yea, i think that is the problem now that I looked at it again, thanks! and to you all, Happy Holidays! I hope you don't go working on them rods or lathes while your celebrating! LOL!! Have a good one!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 07, 2011 03:35AM

Lorenzo,
If the epoxy has been freshly applied, it may be possible to use a bit of heat to soften and allow you to slightly move the guide.

But, if the epoxy has cured for a few days, then it is likely that you will need to cut off the guide and start over.

However, if you find that you have had a bit of change in guide alignment toward the tip of the rod and you don't want to redo all of the rods, just heat up the tip, and move the tip.
Forget the fact that the tip may be slightly out of alignment with the reel seat. The important thing is that the tip is in alignment with the last several guides. As a result, you will not have any issues in either casting or retrieving your line. Also, by just moving the tip, you have likely made the rod very usable with minimum extra work on your part.

Take care
REW

Date: December 07, 2011 10:57PM

Thanks Roger I looked at the last four guides and lined the tip up with those guides, that made a lot of difference.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.144.---)
Date: December 08, 2011 06:26PM

Just so anyone checking out this line won't make the same mistake I did, I had this same problem on the first rod I built after being off rodbuilding for many many years. It was a rod for my son on a St Croix SCV blank, so it was a substantial investment. I also used Fuji SIC titaniums, so major $$ in guides, too. When I got the rod done, the lower three guides were out of alignment with the reel seat, so my solution was to bend the guides into alignment. You can imagine that that didn't go well-the rings were in alignment, but the legs of the guides were deformed. AND, it took a lot of force applied to the guides to do it. About 3 years later I asked my son for the rod back so I could fix it right. I took the guides off and found I had damaged the blank by my bending of the guides. Under the rear two guides the blank was split longitudinally for about an inch.

I put a layer of fiberglass cloth/resin over the split, then replaced the guides in proper alignment (after spending a long time straightening out the guides-those Fuji titaniums are really tough guides!), changed the grip to split grip, added a feather inlay, and now the rod is something I can be proud of instead of ashamed of.

Neither my son nor I have been able to detect a difference in performance of this rod compared to two other SCV's of the same model I've done since for him and his wife. But it took a lot of time to fix it.

Lesson learned: Don't try to bend the guides to fix this problem-bite the bullet and rety them.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 08, 2011 06:35PM

American tackle makes a nice Ti guide that has a nicer price tag

Also when I wrap guides on I put the seat on then line up the top to the seat glue

I start with the first guide from the top and go to the BUTT i check each guide and line them up best I can so later there is very little movement to be made Guides facing me and guides away using the blank
And even looking down the blank as I go

Saves a lot of time later

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster