I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Non-Cracking/Chipping Guide Ring - Tip Top
Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: December 05, 2011 10:13AM

The thread about gold cermets being discontinued got me thinking.

The one thing I liked about cermet as a material was its resistance to cracking. This was evidently because of the metallic, or semi-metallic, nature of these guides: ceramics mixed with metal (CER for ceramic + MET for metallic, get it?) made them much less prone to cracking than ceramic is by itself. I never used cermet guides or tops much, because they were never available in the smaller sizes I needed, but I liked what they offered.

And the question that comes to mind while pondering the fact that cermet has been put out to pasture, is why can't another company manufacture a crack and chip-proof ring material?

My wholly unscientific guess is that for every guide that is replaced, at least 10 tip tops are replaced, and many, if not most, of these top repairs are because of a cracked, chipped, or otherwise broken guide ring. And this is logical, when you consider the fact that a rod's tip get more abuse, probably, than the rest of the guides combined. Just the other night, in fact, I almost ruined a rod by doing something as simple as walking in a door: it was late, it was dark, I had been fishing the beach at night, I was tired, and when I tried to walk in the front door, I banged the tip pretty hard against the door jamb (fortunately, it didn't break). This kind of stuff happens all the time.

With all the abuse that tip tops get, why hasn't someone come up with a ring material that can't crack? I would gladly pay more for this if it meant that the likelihood of a tip repair is much less. Give me a rustproof frame, with a frame that can't crack or break, and I would line up to buy them, even if they cost $20 more (apiece) than traditional tops. Heck, I'd even try plastic, if there was a plastic material that was strong enough to work on a fishing rod and was shatterproof.

Why is something like this not on the market? Is there no demand for it? Or is the custom rod market too small to justify the R&D that developing something like this would require?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Non-Cracking/Chipping Guide Ring - Tip Top
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 05, 2011 10:29AM

There is one tiptop that fills the bill for you, provided you can source them in small enough sizes - carbaloy. You won't crack or chip it, ever, and it's extremely hard and wear resistant. However, it's very likely that very few companies are continuing to offer them.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: December 05, 2011 11:28AM

Check out the Pac Bay CSBT tungsten carbide tip tops, Donart I believe has them.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 05, 2011 11:32AM

We have a limited supply of the original US made Carboloy tip tops, sz 08 and 10 rings, tubes to 7.0.
Give me a holler'

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 05, 2011 12:17PM

Pac Bay minimas will never chip or crack, since there is no ceramic insert in the guide or tip.
Nice long wearing guides. Very very light as well.

Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster