I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod sizing
Posted by: Robert Bumgarner (---.dhcp.spbg.sc.charter.com)
Date: December 03, 2011 08:37AM

I am wanting to build fly rods for two of my grandchildren but I am getting conflicting advice as to what size blanks to buy and build. Some say short and stiff, others say longer and flexible. Ages are 9 and 11. Any suggestions as how to make the right decision.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod sizing
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 03, 2011 08:40AM

Think about scale - how would you do with a fly rod that's twice as long as your height? I'm build them rods in the 7 or 7-1/2 feet length and depending on what you're fishing for, about 5-weight models. I'd look for fast action rod blanks and make sure you have the proper line on them so they load quickly and easily with less than 30 feet of line out.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2011 11:23AM

Robert,
I would typically build them 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 foot spinning rods on a medium light blank.

Mudhole has lots of inexpensive, tough blanks that fit the bill nicely for semi disposable rods for young folks.

If you are thinking about building them rods for pan fishing, then it might make sense to make the rod longer and just have them use the rod over the side of the boat, with no casting required. This is what I do when the kids are small and have tough reeling.
I have them use a bit longer rod, put out enough line to catch the pan fish over the side of the boat. Then, they drop the line into the water, catch the fish and lift the rod tip, swing the fish in to the boat for someone to unhook.

It is somewhat dependent on the dexterity of the young folks and their wishes as well.

If I am taking y oung folks out walleye or bass fishing, I have them use the same rods as the adults are using. It doesn't take long for the young folks to learn how to cast and start catching fish.

Roger

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 03, 2011 11:57AM

I have built my grandsons (11 & 7) 7ft 4wt fly rods and they have no problems fishing them once they get the hang of fly casting. I think in a couple of years, I'll go longer and heavier.

By the way Roger, he said he" wants to build Fly rods"

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: December 03, 2011 12:40PM

Robert,
I've built fly rods for pre-teens.
Short and light are more practical and much easier to handle for limited muscle strength.
My 9 foot rods, even the 4 weight is just too difficult to accelerate and decelerate.
6' 6" to 8 foot a reasonable range if the 8 foot is a light one.
Line weight should be 4 to 6 for good feed-back with the rod without excessive weight.
Spinning rod blanks may be utilized light to ultra-light.
We definitely need more kids on the stream learning fishing skills.

Eugene Moore

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2011 12:42PM by Eugene Moore.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster