I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Random thoughts
Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 03:35PM

Random thoughts...

Let me start this by stating I've never built any customer rods with copyrighted logos, etc. without permission from the copyright holder.

Seems like every other customer that I've built for would like a rod with their favorite teams logos and colors. While I have no problem with the colors it's the logos I haven't touched.

However, I am curious if any builder has ever gotten into legal trouble by doing this. I've seen so many rods with either corporate or sporting logos on them.

If nobodys gotten in trouble, maybe one-off rods aren't worth a companies time to pursue, other than an occasional cease and desist letter. A line of production rods might be another issue altogether.

Any one care to share their experiences...either good or bad or indifferent?

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Random thoughts
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 04:12PM

been there and have done that

I would not worry about it The fishing Rod Police are on Vacation

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: December 02, 2011 04:21PM

I'm listening....

I have done a couple of theme rods. No logos...exactly. I use different fonts in the same pattern and color, but not a direct copy. I did a Twins theme rod and put TC in the butt in Times New Roman and no one even noticed the difference.

I don't think it really matters until you start selling their logo. Like a Vikings logo would make me any money on a rod... ;) Anyone want to buy a McNabb jersey?

Chad - take a look at the Mudhole Jersey Skinz. Cool idea!

Chuck

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2011 04:26PM

If you know it is a trademarked logo, phrase, etc. don't do it ... it is just that simple. Who cares if the "fishing rod police" are on vacation - it is a moral issue, not just a legal one.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: December 02, 2011 04:29PM

Jim Gamble Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If you know it is a trademarked logo, phrase, etc.
> don't do it ... it is just that simple. Who cares
> if the "fishing rod police" are on vacation - it
> is a moral issue, not just a legal one.

Exactly. You can theme the rod with the team colors, and put the client's name on in the proper font, and it will be clearly represent your team without bending any rules.

Chuck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2011 04:30PM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Jeff Davis (---.jax.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 04:32PM

I don't think there is a problem, if you buy the logo / decal, since your paying them for it. ?
Teams sell the decals. That's what I assume they are for, to put on things.
Jeff

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 04:34PM

Chuck,

I've seen those Jersey Skinz and I really like them.

And speaking of moral dilemmas, I've got and upcoming request for a Packers rod! ;)

Oh well, I made myself a Vikings rod a couple years ago and I have yet to catch the "big one" with it . ;)

Chuck "and put the client's name on in the proper font..." I've been so focused on the usage of the logo that I've never even thought about just putting the name on with the proper colors. (i.e., Minnesota Vikings using verdana font and purple/gold colors but no logo or "Vikings" font is used). You may be onto something there.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2011 04:39PM by Chad Huderle.

Posted by: Milt deReyna (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2011 04:37PM

Jeff Davis Wrote:
> I don't think there is a problem, if you buy the
> logo / decal, since your paying them for it. ?
> Teams sell the decals. That's what I assume they
> are for, to put on things.
> Jeff

That's my thinking on the subject. Mud Hole sells college logos for that exact purpose. So those are licensed decals. There are a couple of places you can buy eyeblack stickers with college logos, and MLB logos. NFL stickers are very tightly controlled, so I don't mess with those. But if there is a licensed decal product being sold, I don't see a problem with a fan buying a licensed decal and having a builder put it on his fishing rod.

Now, that is what common sense tells me, but is it legally accurate as well? Opinions?

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2011 04:37PM

the team or company or whoever made that name for themselves and their following. they have paid their dues and i respect that. i don't want some knockoff putting my name on something i didn't approve(not that anyone would). if it is a licensed logo like the college teams that mudhole sells then that is ok because the proper fees have been paid. otherwise just respect it and move on. you can still use team colors and be creative without stepping over the line

Date: December 02, 2011 04:48PM

hay

I got a bridge for sale Doooo

I would think that unless you are selling like 1000 rods with logos on and then maybe you may have trouble Think MudHole gets in trouble

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 02, 2011 04:54PM

I suspect Mud Hole has already done their homework and is in compliance with whatever is necessary in order to be able to produce and sell those decals.

Date: December 02, 2011 05:07PM

Like I said -- Unless your building several thousand rods with logo's on and mas marketing them

Don't worry You will have a hart attack or ulcers

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: kevin knox (---.baybroadband.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 05:12PM

john timberlake Wrote:
> the team or company or whoever made that name for
> themselves and their following. they have paid
> their dues and i respect that. i don't want some
> knockoff putting my name on something i didn't
> approve(not that anyone would). if it is a
> licensed logo like the college teams that mudhole
> sells then that is ok because the proper fees have
> been paid. otherwise just respect it and move on.
> you can still use team colors and be creative
> without stepping over the line

GREAT... Now I need to recall my Sticks and Bones series of rods......

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 06:26PM

Chad & all - Here's a shot of a MN Twins theme rod.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: December 02, 2011 07:02PM

I am going to sell about 700-800 of the finest "Willie Rods" in the country. He doesn't mind ... it is only several hundred, not several thousand. Any orders?

Date: December 02, 2011 07:28PM

They well be the Finest in the Country

What's my commission

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 10:26PM

One can use licensed logo decals like "finger nail stickers" without worry.

It's far better to be creative with "licensed" reproductions than to have to worry about a "cease and desist" letter or worse.

If one should recreate a copy protected logo for personal use only, they probably wouldn't run into problems but one rod sale with the same could land one in court in a hurry! Pro sports teams and corporations don't keep attorneys on retainer for nothing and if one thinks the rod police are NOT on the hunt then they are, shall I say, well, misinformed at best. When money changes hands "damages" can be incurred and I would not want to be the one to pay those damages! Would you? I thought not.

Recently, I was sent some weaving patterns of a few of the Looney Tunes cartoon charactures to be posted on my website "free" to all who would like to use them. I had to say thanks but no thanks. Even "free" and no money changing hands it's possible I could be found complisit or what ever they call it.

Besides, I have found that in some instances, if one tries, one CAN obtain permission from the license holder. Or, like already said, being creative with already licensed products will fill the ticket and keep one out of any hot water.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: December 02, 2011 11:10PM

One rod can absolutely be enough. I know someone that designed a Harley-Davidson rod for a charity event - all with borrowed logos. HD considered a new and unlicensed product and it wasn't pretty. A certain fast food chain is currently suing a fellow for using "Eat More Kale" as his slogan.

No one here would appreciate copyright or patent infringement. It isn't supposed to be about "what you can get away with", it is supposed to be about what is morally right. Don't steal, there isn't such a thing as a little bit dirty.

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.42.144.---)
Date: December 04, 2011 09:07AM

College book stores sell a lot of stickers that are licensed, if you're after a college team. It's easy to find the stores on line.

Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2011 09:19AM

I think the question then becomes are you allowed to make a profit off such licensed logos. My gut says no. If the logo is being placed on a rod and sold for a profit then it is no longer licensed as is. Permission must be attained for you to make a profit using their trademarked/copyrighted logo.

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster