I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need a little fly rod advice
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: December 02, 2011 12:08PM

I'd like to try my hand at fly fishing. I have very limited experience. Mostly fishing popping bugs on a double taper weight forward line for a few years in Tenn back in the 70's. So I need all the advice I can get. I have two very different needs.

First is a freshwater rod for bluegills, myan chiclids, some large mouth and peacock bass. Looking for something that makes bluegill fun but could handle a bass and can throw popping bugs in the wind. Will an 8'6" 5 weight get the job done? I'd think a 3 weight would be more fun but I'm not sure it can handle popping bugs in the wind?

Next is a salt water rod. I have a 9" 12 weight so I want something lighter. How does a 8'6" 8 weight sound?

8"6" blanks are on closeout. They do have some 9" but they are multi-piece and more money. Not sure if the extra 6" matters....especially for the fresh water one.

What is a good reasonable priced line? Need one for the bream and one for redfish/tarpon/bonefish....all in the Miami area.

Thanks in advance:)

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need a little fly rod advice
Posted by: Drew Pollock (162.119.68.---)
Date: December 02, 2011 12:36PM

I know nothing about Florida fly fishing so read this with that in mind:

A 5wt 9 foot fly rod is sort of the standard issue for all types of basic fly fishing. It's light enough for trout and pan fish, heavy enough for big trout and small bass. That's where I would start. An 8'6" 5 wt is a bit on the short side, but will still work. You will give up a bit of casting and mending distance, everything else being equal.

An 8wt is another standard for bigger fish, like Salmon, steelhead, large bass (though I'm not a bass fisherman), and for medium sized salt water fish. I would not bother with an 8'6" salt water rod. Build a 9 foot "standard" rod. You'll want a fast action and strength in the butt for a salt water 8wt. There are many choices here, but not many inexpensive choices. If I was tied down to 1 recommendation-not cheap but without spending too much $$ it would be a Batson RX8.

Regarding # of pieces, do yourself a favor and build only 4 piece rods. They are much easier to transport.

Drew

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 01:27PM

I have caught some nice sized bass on trout flys on a 5 wt Just don't high stick the rod Don't try to haul them in if in the grasses.

If you have all those fish in one place a 6 ?? or 7 would be better if you want one rod

Keep the 10 for saltwater maybe it will work better with a 9 wt line depends on the rod

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bruce Vetre (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 01:43PM

I'm on the same page as Drew for the line weights and lengths. My only suggestion would be to get a mod-fast action, it's just easier to cast, especially for someone who is not an expert. I've had great success with the American Tackle Matrix series in that price range.

Date: December 02, 2011 01:53PM

I learned on St Croix 5 and 7 wts SCV fast rods And would not look back The 5 I used a 6 wt line and it cast into wind Very Nicely

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 02, 2011 01:59PM

Thanks guys. I knew I could count on y'all for a quick answer. Funds are tight so I wanted to take advantage of what Utmost had left. Carol has treated me well and I have been impressed with everything I have bought.

I took two 8'6", 5 weights (one for a friend), one 9', 6 weight (rx8) and one 9', 9 weight (rx8). I already have a 9', 12 weight so I should be pretty well covered. I wanted the 8 weight but the extra 6 inches seemed like a biggie and we have more tarpon/snook/permit than redfish here so it is probably a better choice anyway.

BTW, still need advice on line. From what I understand a salt water line is way different than a fesh water line??? Figure the 5 and 6 weights as fresh and 9 and 12 weight salt.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2011 02:12PM by Russell Brunt.

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2011 02:47PM

Russell, an 8-6 or 9ft 5wt would be fine for light freshwater stuff. 3wt would be fine if the wind isn't a factor and your only casting small flies. The small blue gill poppers will cast just fine on a 5wt. I would go with a blank that is medium fast, easy enough to learn the casting curve on. An 8wt is a great saltwater/heavy freshwater set up, 9ft is the norm here. There are some differences in Freshwater and Saltwater fly lines, you'll have to visit some of the major line companies web sites to see. For example, some Salt lines have different cores and exterior coatings, depending on what type of saltwater you are in.
Orvis and LL Bean have great starter books for fly fishing.

Posted by: Jim Sawyer (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 03:47PM

A 9 ft 5 wt flyrod properly built will work on 85% of the stream experiences for trout and river bass.

If people spent more time on important things, there would be a shortage of flyrods.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2011 04:28PM

I would suggest fast action blanks, especially for the inshore rod.

Date: December 02, 2011 05:02PM

As for lines i like these [www.scientificanglers.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 06:19PM

3M used to offer good value. Glad to know they are still in the running. I hear names like Rio but have no experience.

Not being a fly rod guy it is hard for me to judge action speed. The 12 weight was from utmost and I think it was labeled as a rx8 so I am expecting much the same. It is slower than a st. croix spin/jig but about the same as a castaway popping rod. Way faster blanks than the garbage white river fly rod combo I bought as bass pro shops on sale. That thing is a sorry limp noddle of an excuse for a rod:(

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: December 02, 2011 06:53PM

I like the SA Sharkskin lines.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 08:03PM

Thanks Jim. It helps a lot to hear from someone local to me with experience. You have been more help than you know....on many occasions.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Chip Clark (24.224.117.---)
Date: December 03, 2011 09:27AM

Russ, I agree with the Sharkskin recommendation. When considering lines for saltwater my only suggestion is to be sure that the line is designed for warm water. Some are designed for cool or cold water, such as striper fishing in the northeast, and may not perform quite as well in the warmer water you fish.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.135.188.72.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: December 03, 2011 06:12PM

Sharkskin carved a hole in my finger. You will probably want to overline your saltwater rod, particularly if it is a fast action. Repeated casts of big flies on heavy lines can raise cain with your shoulder. A 9' 9wt. will handle a #40 tarpon and all but the largest redfish. The extra 6" is a help if you wade or fish from a kayak.

Date: December 03, 2011 06:38PM

Phil Ewanicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sharkskin carved a hole in my finger.

A stripping guard is recommended with these lines. They are abrasive, but they offer a VERY thin profile, long life and easy mend.

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2011 10:46AM

What kind of caster are you? What depth are you fishing in the salt and for what species? Guide favorite is the Rio SW tropical clouser taper. The Rio Outbound is also a good option (would go tropical short in the 8wt for Miami). Both lines are rockets. For fresh, look at th Rio Bass tapers or a freshwater clouser. Heads are designed to help turn over bigger flies usually associated with bass and bream. Not a big fan of the sharksin lines. Very loud with Recoil guides and tougher to clean. Cast well but not sure any better than others, especially at over a hundred bucks.

Date: December 06, 2011 01:19PM

Consider me a rank beginner Todd. I'll also mention I'm the kind of caster who can't afford anywhere near a 100 bucks. So cheap and decent. Figure I'll start with 5 or 6 weight rod and fish for bluegill and bass. Reckon I'll use popping bugs for now. I know line makes a big difference and if I must spend that much so be it. I was hoping something in the 30-50 buck range would do.

I'll leave the salt water for later. At first it will probably be something like tossing a fly at a schoolie dolphin that follows another one in. Or maybe walking the banks and catching small jacks and blue runners.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: December 06, 2011 02:19PM

SA offers a line of entry level lines that are endorsed by Lefty Kreh, they aren't a bad deal for the price.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster