I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank finish?
Posted by: Curtis Hood (---.paola.ks.cebridge.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 09:29AM

Hi I am working on my first build. I got a Mhx Hi-Mod P843 blank. When it said "Polished" I didn't think it would not need any type of finishing but it looks like it was just scuffed up with a scratch pad or something.
So what do I need to do with it? Can it be polished out & how? I don't want to add the weight of a finish on the entire blank if I don't have to.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank finish?
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2011 10:22AM

leave it be..there is nothing wrong with it...if you want a gloss finish then spray it with a clear coat or wipe it with permagloss

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 10:39AM

If you do a search for rod finish, I have posted links before on a gel polyurethane product I use for woodturning. It is more of a satin finish, but works great with a couple of light coats to cover the rod.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 12:57PM

Curtis,
Build the rod and enjoy it.
If you want a bit of shine to the rod, just take some wax - apply and polish the wax after the rod has been completed.

You have a Matte finish on the rod, which is my preferance by far for a rod. Tough, nothing to nick or chip and will look the same for the life of the rod. Excellent way to have a blank to build on.

Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 01:35PM

if it has scratches in it try a very fine auto compound

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: December 02, 2011 02:58PM

Yup, just a coat of Carnuba auto wax and it will have a nice sheen! I do this on my XMGs and blanks that I strip the paint off of. The nice thing about a bare blank is lack of scratches in the finish!

Date: December 02, 2011 03:04PM

Most waxes will probably have silicons in them That is why i recommend a compound

When I painted cars If some one Even Opened a can of wax The silicons would get sucked into the booth and the whole car would - Fish Eye

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Curtis Hood (---.paola.ks.cebridge.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 03:28PM

Thanks guys, I am fine with a nice even matte look it just needs some help getting there. From the tip to say 2/3 of the way up the shaft it looks great but the 2' or so at the butt just doesn't look evenly sanded almost like it just needs to be hit with 0000 steel wool or something to even it out. But since I am new at this I figured I'd better do some searching and after not finding what I was looking for I figured I'd ask. (I'll try to search again)

Has anyone ever used Penetrol for this? I used it on the gel coat of a boat once . Anything I need to avoid besides waxing it before it's got the finish applied ?

I can't wait to get this thing built, I've heard great things about the blanks, I got the split grip handle done & it turned out amazing! IMHO I turned it out of Eucalyptusptus Burl with rubberizedized cork on the ends...

Once I figure out a bit more on posting in the photo section I'll post a pic.

Date: December 02, 2011 04:15PM

Cover it with a handle

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster