I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread ?'s
Posted by: Scott Kelly (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 08:39AM

I've been building rods for nearly 30 years as needed for my dad and I. I only build 2-3 a year and it really stings to experiment and have issues. So I am looking for some advice beforehand.

What is a good replacement for Gudebrod size A?

Are "sewing store" threads (Sulky) ok to use? I seem to recall reading about silicone issues. Never had "fisheyes" and don't want 'em!

Is price reflective of quality? Just thinking Gudebrod ran about $3 for 100 yds and others are $5 for 1000 yds or more. Fade issues?

All of the rods I build are freshwater spinning rods.

Thanks again!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread ?'s
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 08:45AM

If you are familiar with / like Gudebrod it is available again through a couple of the sponsors. I got my last 4oz spools from Merrick Tackle. I'm not sure if they are running all the previous color choices but a few phone calls & you should know. Good replacements for Gudebrod are ProWrap (through MudHole) and FishHawk (through FishHawk or FishSticks).

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2011 09:20AM

Scott,

We invite you to try ProWrap threads. As posted here, thousands of very satisfied rod builders have made the switch from Gudebrod to ProWrap threads. In fact, ProWrap thread has sold over 150,000 spools of thread since its introduction a little more than a year ago, making ProWrap the #1 selling rod building thread in the world. ProWrap thread is the rod building thread of choice for some of the largest and most respected rod building companies in the world, including USA based G-Loomis, Lamiglass, Seeker, Scott, Sage, Orvis, Black Fin, Crowder and now several European and International name brands you’d recognize.

Like anything, switching to a new thread might take some time to get used to or it might require slight adjustments in your techniques. But in development for over a year and rigorously tested by rod builders and rod factories, ProWrap thread is the new standard for rod building thread. ProWrap thread is in stock and ready to ship today!! In fact no one in the world stocks more ready to ship rod building thread than ProWrap.

ProWrap™ thread is available in 139 colors in both Nylon and Color Fast – in three familiar spool sizes – 100yd, 1oz. and 4oz – representing almost 1,000 SKUs of thread in sizes A & D. The snap spools work perfectly on power wrappers. ProWrap™ thread features strong tensile strength and bright colors that have been pressure dyed for color consistency. ProWrap thread is also available in Nylon, Metallic, VersaBlend, Tiger, Metallic Braid, Color Fast, Metallic Twist.

ProWrap thread introduces the "Color Number System"â„¢ or CNS for short, which provides the rod builder the ability to easily identify colors and shades of colors based on their numbering. Pantone colors are also listed for each thread color to make thread selection and coordination simple. ProWrap swatch books are also available with the complete selection of ProWrap thread.

The minimal issues some rod builders experienced with the coiling of the metallic threads has been addressed and corrected

For additional information on ProWrap thread, contact American Tackle Company at 800-516-1750 or by email at sales@americantackle.us or purchase ProWrap thread through one of their distributors.

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Robbie Smith (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2011 10:14AM

Scott, check out FishHawk Threads. Link is to the left. Best metallic thread in the world. Their nylon was made exclusively for rod builders.

Posted by: Rich Olson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 10:34AM

I'll second that FishHawk recommendation, it's a great thread to work with.

As for the Sewing Store threads, Madiera is probably the most commonly used, with Sulky not far behind, especially for their
specialty threads (metallics, holo, etc.,) . These threads are lubricated with silicone which can cause fisheyes, but as long as you
do 2 or 3 coats of color preserver before you epoxy, you should be good.

It is also worth noting that the size of Madiera used for wrapping (40#) is just a bit smaller than Size A wrapping thread.

~ RO

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 10:41AM

I second the recommendation for the ProWrap thread from Mudhole. I used Gudebod metallic thread exclusively until it was no longer available. I tried various other threads and was not pleased with them, until I tried the Prowrap. I love it. Give it a try, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: Bruce Vetre (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 10:42AM

I really like the the Pro Wrap. There is a wide variety of color choices, wraps smoothly, and takes finish well.

Madiera is not a choice for me because, unless we are doing a weave or decorative wrap, we don't use color preserver. As Rich stated, Madiera needs it

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 10:43AM

I've been very pleased with Prowrap. The color selection is huge & they have more in stock than most will ever need.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 11:14AM

Scott:

I talked to Angler's Workshop yesterday. They said they are getting the new Gudebrod thread in. Not all of the colors are available yet. I asked how it compared to the old stuff, and was told it looks and feels the same. I will order a couple os spools and see.

Mike Bradfrod
R.M.B. Fishing Rods
Nampa, Idaho

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mid.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 12:13PM

Just wanted to mention that we have much of the Gudebrod in stock, and now most of the FishHawk metallics and also a good supply of the regular non metallic FishHawk.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Scott Kelly (---.mycingular.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 12:25PM

Thanks for the feedback!

Posted by: brad parker (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 05:36PM

I have used Prowrap on most of my rods. I have used other brands, I just keep coming back to Prowrap.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 07:34PM

I have also uesed Pro Wrap

But When i use 6 - 10 threads at a time the tight twist in it does not work well

I like Goldenrod or Fish Hawk to be better IMHO

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: mark crouse (---.unassigned.ntelos.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 08:03PM

Gudebrod is available also through Batson, they have them all in stock.
Mark

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster