I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

surf rod guide spacing
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 08:30AM

My next rod will be a 13 foot Hatteras Heaver I want to minimize the the size of the guides as much as possible I have always used a guide size of 25 for conventional casting as my first guide. I place the reel where I want it, then place the first guide in position so as the line goes through it does not hit either side of the guide. Is that the correct way to do it or should I use a smaller guide and choke the line right off the bat. I could use a smaller guide and advance it up the rod more as long as there is no line slap.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2011 08:38AM by Maryann Cohen.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: surf rod guide spacing
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 08:51AM

Maryann
You should not get "line slap" on a conventional set up. The line doesn't "spin" off the reel like a spinning rod. Depending on your reel width you can probably drop down a size and reduce all your guide sizes to whatever diameter will pass your knots. If you are using a shock leader to main line that will most likely be the largest diameter connection you will have coming back through your guides (assuming that your leader length puts one wrap on the reel spool - personally I don't like that method but it seems to be the standard locally.
When I set up a conventional I like to put the reel on; allow the line to get to the far edge of the spool (maximum off-angle) and set the first guide so that the line touches the guide - not radically but enough to gather the line from off-angle, too much and the line will not spool back up evenly on the reel unless you are using one with a line guide

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2011 09:01AM by Ken Preston.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.169.popsite.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 11:13AM

Does the blank have a 50/50 split?
Will the reel be mounted high or low?

Don Becker

Date: December 02, 2011 04:39PM

Don the rod is 50 50 I use it both ways .

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 07:45PM

how does the customer cast the rod

TALK TO THEM GET TO KNOW THIS

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 02, 2011 11:05PM

In most cases, not all due to blanks with different characteristics:

Low reel, butt guide a minimum 40" above reel face.

High reel, butt guide a minimum 30" and should be at least 36" above reel seat.

Butt guide size, 25mm or 30mm depending on reel size and rod action.
25mm if the rod has a powerful handle, minimum bend under load and you are using a small reel such as an ABU 7500 or Akios 757.
30mm if the handle has a lot of bend or you are using a larger reel.

Try to land a guide on or near the ferrule. The use of a ferrule wrap and guide wraps will enhance ferrule strength. The location will also take some stress off the ferrule.

Since I cast only high reel, my butt guide is on the ferrule. Your guide positions will be different due to your desire to cast both high and low reel. If I had the desire to cast a rod both low and high reel, I would probably build it as a high reel rod with the butt guide on the ferrule. I would then tape on a second butt guide 30" above the high reel position. Do a static load test to determine the remaining guide positions and tape them in place. Make test casts and change guide postions until you are satisifed with the results.

For guides
25mm 30" or more above upper reel position. I might be tempted to make this a size 30 guide to help (a little) keeping the line off my hand when casting low reel.
25mm or 20mm on ferrule
20mm
16mm
12mm out to tip top
You may want to add additional 20' and 16's to help keep the line off the blank.

The bottom line is that you have to lay it out and check how it casts both high and low reel.

Don

Don Becker

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 04, 2011 02:57PM

Don, Sorry but, I have to ask. What do you mean when you ask, Is the reel going to be mounted high or low?
Are you asking if the reel is a high or low framed reel? or Where on the butt the reel is going be mounted?
I do believe your talking about a tie-wrapped or taped plate type reel seat that can be adjusted for power casting, NO?

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Date: December 04, 2011 03:24PM

Dennis you can get reel seats that are moveable . Its where the reel is mounted on the reel seat.

Date: December 04, 2011 04:38PM

Hi Dennis,

In the US, most fishermen use the reel in the high position, while most tournament casters have the reel mounted low.

In the low position, the reel is mounted about 6 to 10 inches from the butt. The high reel position usually has the reel mounted 26 to 40 inches above the butt.

Maryann wants to use the rod both in high and low reel positions. Coasters, plates, or movable reel seats could be used. The main issue with movable reel seats is that the handle needs to be as near to parallel as possible. The other problem that can arise is that some of the movable reel seats are designed to tighten on the handle by forcing down on the reels foot. this can cause an undesirable pressure point on the blank.

Don Becker

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 04, 2011 09:42PM

Don/Maryann, I got ya, It's no longer a fishin rod. It's just for distance casting. A catapult !

Dennis J. Danku
(Sayreville,NJ)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster