I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

switch rod handle
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 01, 2011 06:49PM

building a switch rod , I don't like the look of the 2 HANDLES GLUED TOGETHER for the top section. I my opinion its too much cork and there is no reason why you cant at least have 2 cork pieces with a split in between to suit the persons grip preference.Im looking for other suggestions on what I can use and a handle .Im referring to the handle that will be closest to the tip. So far Ive thought of cork tape, a gel tape used for bike handlebars that comes in different colors Any of other suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: switch rod handle
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 01, 2011 07:13PM

The reason it is large, is because when single handling it, you grasp it just above the reel seat and when two handing, you grip much higher up to create the pivot pint for the Spey casting. Eliminating the length by very much will no longer enable one to "switch" effectively. I agree that the handles that appear to be "two glued together" are not attractive, so I build mine to look the way I want, but still they must be long.

Date: December 01, 2011 09:05PM

Phil in my opinion it doesn't have to be long . There are many surf rods European and Amerasian that have a split cork configuration. the stumbling block in the switch rod is the hand on the cork when casting in the conventional manner.What have you used to change your style?

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 01, 2011 10:52PM

Maryann, as I understand surf rods they are always cast two handed, a switch rod is meant to be cast either single or two handed, this requires that the upper hand is placed in two different ares when changing casting methods.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 06:57AM

Figure out how it will be cast Where the hands will be

And make handles to fit Reshape them to how you want

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 02, 2011 08:11AM

I need suggestions on different types of handles Im thinking of some thing like cork tape for the last part of the butt section and cork tape for the handle that will be closest to the tip. then the conventional cork for the main handle Im sure there are guys out there that have done some experimenting.

Date: December 02, 2011 08:18AM

How about Cord wrapped

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 02, 2011 08:36AM

good suggestion bill ,Dont have any info on that technique where can I find some I just thought of cord underneath and shrink tape over . Now were cook-en

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 08:42AM

I'm with Phil, my spey presentations are mostly underhand dominant, my double hand overhead has my hands elsewhere, and single hand as noted above. I've made my own, (R.B. Meiser patterned), but a shortened Angler's Workshop spey foregrip works well also.

Date: December 02, 2011 08:50AM

Do a search here on Cork Wrapped handles

Here is one place for cord []

Also check the sponcers on the left

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2011 08:53AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 03, 2011 08:18AM

Sorry,
Switch rod is meant to cast either "overhead" or "anchor-point" (spey). never one handed. I hace switch rods up 11wt, 13'6" and you cannot cast them with one hand. Also there are rods designed to be cast anchor-point only and those to cast overhead only - the latter would be beach rods.

The only reason I can see NOT to have a split grip is that you will retrieve, sometimes, with the rod's butt tucked under your armpit and be stripping with two hands. This would be with overhead casting. With anchor-point you will not be stripping so a split grip there is O.K.
Solce problem by turning your own grips and do not use factory preformed grips.
Regards,
Herb

Posted by: Todd Kreikamp (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2011 10:49AM

Not going to be single handed casting then? Would not recommend cork tape for the main part of the grip. Your hands will hate you. Really not much weight to be concenred with by having the full cork. I like the look of the mixed material cork/composites like Beulah uses etc... Cool look and breaks up that total cork look.

Date: December 06, 2011 05:27PM

Todd is correct - your hands will be sore.
Herb

Date: December 06, 2011 05:29PM

Maryann,
Send me your email - or unhide it - and I will send you some pics.
Herb

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster