I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

color preserve question
Posted by: Frank DeFranco (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2011 07:45AM

Just ran into a situation that I have not dealt with before. I wrapped a rod with thread that I have never used before Pac Bay Nylon. I cleaned the blank, made sure my hands were clean. used three coats of Threadmaster color preserver, I let all coats dry in betweeen and the third coat dried overnight. The color thread was a light sage green. I have done this same process many times with perfect results. This time after the epoxy was applied, I noticed that the thread had some dark spots on it as if the color preserver didnt work in those areas. I put it on liberally and made sure it was applied completely and I always stir the color preserver. This was all done on the tip section of my rod. The only thing different was the use of the Pac Bay nylon thread. Anyone else have issues like this. I stripped the guides off the tip section and re wrapped it but did not apply the epoxy yet. The only reason I didn't switch to different thread is that the butt section is already wrapped and the design on the butt section took me ten hours and I would rather not re do it.... All input is appreciated. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: color preserve question
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: December 01, 2011 10:28AM

I would say what you are seeing is the blank showing through the thread and you may not have packed and burnished the threads enough.

Date: December 01, 2011 06:02PM

Thanks for the reply Mike. It could be that that particular brand of thread is totally different somehow. I have used Gudebrod and Pro wrap and pack my threads and burnish the same every time. I am re coating it now and will see. Either way, I will not use that brand of thread again. Not gonna chance it.

Posted by: Fred Trahan (---.arpa.kmcmail.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 02:24PM

I use PB thread and used to get sooooo frustrated with exactly what you have going on. Until I took a magnifying glass to the wraps, once I did - I realized I was not packing well enough (thought I was). With tighter wraps and better packing, it will minimize "blank bleed thru". Even white threads have minimal "blotchy-ness" on dark blanks with enough tread packing and burnishing. For long/closed butt wrapps, I most always lay a long run of base wrap with lighter thread, if I'm going to be using a lighter thread design.

other options is to base wrap or paint.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 02, 2011 03:00PM

Some times with lighter colors a D works better Even NCP I pack about every 5 - 8 threads to be sure Then burnish

Some times it is better to try on a piece of scrap Not all colors react the same

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2011 03:02PM by bill boettcher.

Date: December 04, 2011 09:49AM

Thanks Fred and Bill After re wrapping and paying better attention to packing, They came out good. The other brands of thread I use must be more forgiving than this brand. The thread was quite a bit lighter than the blank and I usually do an under wrap beneath myopen wrap butt wrap design, but I ordered an Emerald green blank and wanted to see the color thru it. Again, Thanks for taking the time to respond. Frank

Posted by: ofer nadav (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2011 10:58AM

I posted a thread here a few weeks ago called "color preserver sprung my wrap". I don't know how to share the link with you.
but I have had lots of trouble with the PB threads, curling, color inconsistency, spreading shrinking, etc.
i received lots of responses from builders and instructors that had the same problems, and on much bigger scales. i personally stay away from that brand now. but of coarse to each his own. I hope you have better luck with it than i did. and you may want to find that post, just to compare the issues with that thread.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 04, 2011 01:26PM

here is the post [rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 06, 2011 09:03PM

It is nice to get assistance from the members. It is greatly appreciated. I am just glad the problem arose on my own rod. I am staying away from that thread.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster