I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Power wrapper rubber belt
Posted by: Danny Condruti (---.sprint.com)
Date: November 29, 2011 11:20PM

I have an AmTac power wrapper/dryer and went through a few belts and still have none now. Due to dry weather in AZ, the rubber belt (cheap quality anyway) cracks and splits. Tired of using the same product. Is there any better quality belt from another application that fits the wrapper ?

Please keep the internet green!
Recycle electrons.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Power wrapper rubber belt
Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 30, 2011 09:06AM

try buying a rubber belt off of a vacuum cleaner i have done this a few times and the belts are much better quality and are just as cheap. Ive also gone in hardware stores and gotten o rings to fit.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: November 30, 2011 09:44AM

I'm alson in Az, and have never had any issues with belts on my wrapper, although mine is inside in the rod room and climate controlled.. If your in the Phx area go to Bearing Belt and Chain and they can probably set you up with something.

Ron Weber

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2011 10:54AM

Danny,
Go to your local Ace hardware store and go to the plumbing department.
They carry a large variety of O rings that work very well as a belt for a power wrapper.
When you find a belt that works, buy a dozen or so, and keep the spares in the freezer so that the heat does not cause the rubber to go bad.

Good luck
REW

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 30, 2011 11:04AM

Singer sewing machine belt # 00029 (comes with two smaller o- rings that fit the rollers on pacbay/amtak wrappers)

Date: November 30, 2011 11:23AM

Danny,
By the way, you can do an on line search and find a large variety of O ring suppliers. You can buy O rings of various materials. If you buy your O ring with some of the specialized rubbers that are on the market, you will find that you will have next to 0 issues with heat.

Materials like Silicone, and Viatone all work toward this goal.

Take care
REW

Posted by: brad parker (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: November 30, 2011 12:13PM

I have used elastic material in a pinch. That might work. You can get it from anyplace that sells clothing material. Just cut the length needed and sew the ends together.

Date: November 30, 2011 12:40PM

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.26-24.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2011 04:43PM

You might also want to check your wrapper assembly for screws that may be in the vicinity of your belt. Some are made in such a way that a screw will nick the belt a tiny bit when relocating the belt between jobs. When that happens, soon enough ... POW ... broken belt.

Posted by: Jeff Seabridge (---.cmdnnj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 30, 2011 05:23PM

My first Am Tac belt broke after a month. I'm on the second one but you can see that one getting slack in it. A vacuum cleaner belt will do just fine. I think the belt size is 4.5 inches.

Date: November 30, 2011 07:31PM

Danny,
Another option is to change out the pulleys and belt for either
1. Gears, so that you use a gear to gear contact on your wrapper.
2. A toothed gear and toothed belt, as in timing belt.
The poly toothed belts have a virtual infinite belt life when it comes to rod building.

[www.sdp-si.com]

An advantage of using the toothed belts is that you can run the belts rather loose, because the teeth do not let the pulleys slip. As a result of the looser belts, no power is absorbed from the motor on bearing or pulley friction.

This is an example of one of my power wrappers power units which use DC gear motors - with all integrated gears. Then, there are timing belts and pulleys on the ends of the motor and head stock. Very compact and non slip.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Roger

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2011 07:35PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Milt deReyna (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2011 11:28PM

I'm with the guys who've found an industrial local solution. If you have a shop in town that fabricates gaskets, you should be in business. Walked into the local shop in Fayetteville, and the fella at the counter went in the back and came out with a handful, just gave them to me. Said the cost of a dozen wasn't worth his time to do the paperwork.

Posted by: ofer nadav (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2011 02:12AM

if i can't find the O rings or for a quick fix, I've used rubber from a bicycle inner tube. may be too thin for a permanent fix, but I've done it for a quick temp fix

Posted by: Robert Hudak (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 01, 2011 07:15AM

Milt, is that Fay, NC? I am going to head out to the gasket making shop out on 301 shortly and get a few for myself. I am not trying to reproduce your free situation, but just knowing they have what I need is enough. :)

Posted by: Danny Condruti (---.sprint.com)
Date: December 01, 2011 11:14AM

Thanks to all you guys for input. Will check today the O rings at a few places. The sewing belts did not work, too small for confort. I swapp the belt from wrapper to dryer and need elasticity. No screws in the way to knick the belt, have checked that a long time ago. Also have replaced the original black plastic pulley (if somebody wnts it, it can have it) on the motor shaft with an aluminum pulley that is true center and does not wobble. I do my work in the garage where I have all the tools set-up, sometimes the wrapper stays untouched for months, only to be used for 1-2 weeks when I build a rod. The belt is removed from the wrapper and placed in a sealed bag, but still oes not last long. The rubber type is made from is "sandy" and cracks from lack of oils in it. Have tried rubber bands but the fix is only for short time since is too flexy. I can not use the belt with teeth since as mentioned before the belt has to be swapped from one pulley to the other and do not want to involve tools in the operation.

Please keep the internet green!
Recycle electrons.

Date: December 01, 2011 12:07PM

Danny,
Actually you could easily go with a cogged belt if you wanted to add a 2nd motor.

But I am sure you will find the O ring you need for your solution.

Roger

Posted by: John Papa (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: September 11, 2016 12:06PM

Guys,
I have found a great source for belt & O ring replacements for your Power wrapper.
McMaster Carr - [www.mcmaster.com]
For my American Tackle Wrapper the drive belt size was.
ID 4.225"
OD 4.645"
Use a micrometer & tape to get the exact dimensions of belt thickness & size.
I purchased a package of 5 belts for $5.10. W/shipping it was just about $10 for the package of 5 belts.

This link may help [www.mcmaster.com]

Hope it helps,
Walleye John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster