I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finish for Custom Turned Reel Seats and Handles
Posted by: Scott Backholm (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2011 02:59PM

Hi all, I am just getting into some lathe work and was wondering what you guys treat the wood with when finished? I am starting with some Cherry, Walnut, Oak, Ash. Also, when there is cork mixed in with it, do you treat the cork the same way?

Thanks a million.

Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finish for Custom Turned Reel Seats and Handles
Posted by: Dick Ross (---.ien.ada.in.ena.net)
Date: November 28, 2011 03:29PM

I use Tru oil mostly on the wood. When combined with burl cork I use Tru oil also. If with real cork I usually mask off the cork and just finish the wood.

Date: November 28, 2011 03:34PM

The gun stock finish?

thanks so much, I appreciate it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2011 04:43PM by Scott Backholm.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 28, 2011 03:43PM

Wood and cork ( which is bark from a tree ) are wood Check out any of the Name Brand wood finishes on the market

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Eric Viburs (---.capoc.army.mil)
Date: November 28, 2011 03:57PM

I am a huge fan of Spar. It is a little harder plus the UV protectent. I also use CA but for combo work it is Spar and True oil though I have used more Spar as of late and will continue to do so.
Eric

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 28, 2011 04:04PM

Go with the Tru oil

Bill - willierods.com

Date: November 28, 2011 04:43PM

thanks guys, much appreciated!

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2011 09:20PM

it all depends on the type of wood you are using and the finish you want to achieve. Truoil is a good finish, but oil finishes do not work on some woods(woods with high resin content like the rosewood family). find a good finish that has some exterior ratings for protection from water and if it has some uv inhibitors that is a bonus. most woods are photochromic(they will change color with exposure to sunlight) so any added protection is good. just don't leave it sitting in the sun or soaking in water and any good finish should last for years.

Date: November 30, 2011 08:01PM

Thanks John, much appreciated

Date: December 13, 2011 07:36PM

Used the tru oil today following advice here, came out awesome, thanks again. Would post a pic but dont think I can in a post?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster