I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rear Cork on Split Grip
Posted by: Chris McDaniel (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: November 26, 2011 03:11PM

Building my first split grip rod. I ordered the fighting butt grip from mudhole (http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Split-Grips/R-1-875-375-Rear-Split-Grip-Fighting-Butt) It is all one piece . How do you install it? I thought it would be 2 pieces and just install like a regular handle then glue the butt on. Do I just ream it out to fitt the butt of the rod then fill it with epoxy? Or do I need to cut the end off and install it just like a normal grip then reglue the butt on?
Any suggestions......
Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2011 06:28PM by Chris McDaniel.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rear Cork on Split Grip
Posted by: Obed Patty (---.dhcp.unas.mo.charter.com)
Date: November 26, 2011 05:39PM

Chris,
I followed your link, but it went to a fighting butt only, and I am unable to determine what your question refers to. Two suggestions: Contact Mudhole; they can answer any question regarding their products. Second, view the "Photos" section under grips and handles and you should be able to see tons of split grip examples.
If you give a little more detail, help may be offered. Good Luck

Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else. The trick is the doing something else.
Leonardo da Vinci

Posted by: Chris McDaniel (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: November 26, 2011 06:25PM

I guess I need to know how to install the fighting butt part. I already have the 4" grip that sits behind the arbor reamed and ready to go. I thought the fighting butt would be in 2 pieces. The fighting butt is 1 piece. Do I just drill it out then fill in with epoxy and cover it with a winding check? If I do this from the open end of the fighting butt it will not match the taper of the rod?
The other option I see is cutting the bottom part of the butt off and ream it out like normal then re-glue the very bottom back on.

Posted by: Obed Patty (---.dhcp.unas.mo.charter.com)
Date: November 26, 2011 07:12PM

Ahhh, I see. Makes sense. This is why I have a tub full of cork and EVA.....It always look different on the website then when I get it in my hands. I would ream out the hole and shape to the taper I want. If you do not have the means to sand/taper, then I would just ream to fit, glue, and cover with the check. Be careful reaming from the small end as there is not much material and you could break the cork in that area. Start small, work cautiously and patiently. It is also not too late to buy the end that you want (two piece, or one piece with the correct taper). At this point it is all about customizing to your liking or going with a factory butt to your liking. Hope this helps and maybe someone else has more advice

Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else. The trick is the doing something else.
Leonardo da Vinci

Posted by: Rufus Rhoden (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 26, 2011 07:13PM

I used one of those one time and found it to be not worth the work. But yes, the answer is to ream it from the open end. The easier solution is to buy a rear grip, install it then cap off the end.

Rufus
Port Saint Lucie, FL

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 26, 2011 09:36PM

I use those butts quite a bit. Ream them to fit, use a generous amount of epoxy inside it, slide it on- you're done! Finish it off with a winding check if you need to.

jeremy

Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: November 28, 2011 05:07PM

I also just did two split grips but I turn my own cork and came up with my own "design". I glued two rings to a solid rubberized but cap, turned to shape and dirlled them just shy of the butt diameter an slid them on from the back. I dont think there is enough taper in an inch of blank to be concerned with. Guess it depends on how long your "fighting" butt is. You may not even be able to ream a taper any closer than a straight
drilled hole. Measure the blank and see how much taper is in the length of the butt grip your using. I'll bet it's not enough to sweat over.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster