I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wrapping guide foots
Posted by: Steve Hanna (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: November 24, 2011 08:33PM

When wrapping thread on a guide foot, whats the best way to wrap the thread . Do you start on the rod and warp onto the foot or the reverse?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wrapping guide foots
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse4.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 24, 2011 08:38PM

Hi again Steve,
Start on the blank and go up the foot as there is less chance of gaps appearing. Ensure your guide feet have been prepped properly and you'll get a smooth transition without gaps.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Date: November 24, 2011 08:41PM

ESFNEM Col :

Thanks for all of the tips. I assume foot preparation means filing the foot end at an angle for a smoother transition onto the guide?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 25, 2011 12:13AM

if you don't have any I would suggest you get several books on building rods The suppliers on the left carry books and DVD's and also how to's

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse4.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 25, 2011 08:26AM

Hi Steve,
Yes a file will do but there are various ways of doing it. Whatever way you do it make sure there are no rough or really sharp edges. Bill's idea of some books is a good one. Tom Kirkman's "Rodbuilding Guide" has some excellent basics and is not expensive.

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 25, 2011 08:54AM

Do a search here on preping guides - all dates lots of info

Bill - willierods.com

Date: November 25, 2011 10:19AM

ESFNEM Col and Bill :

Thanks for the suggestions I will do a search here and look into some books. . I'm totally new to rod building but very excited about learning from everyone on this great site. Hope your holidays are joyous. Time to get to work on some rods.

Posted by: David Dosser (---.columbus.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2011 12:21PM

I use a dremel tool with a diamond wheel or a grinding wheel. The diamond wheel gives a smoother finish. On micro guides I just use a fine hand file or sand paper if needed.

David Dosser
Coshocton, OH

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 25, 2011 01:17PM

Tom Kirkman's book - Rodbuilding Guide will be the best $15 you will ever spend on this addiction. I would also strongly suggest that you go through the Library, Glossary, FAQ and Photo pages listed at the top of the page (you must register on the Photo page, but you can use the same name password that you use on this page). There is a tremendous amount of info to be had here!!
Also, take advantage of the SEARCH button!! Type in a word(s) and SELECT ALL DATES. There are many years of post archived here a wealth of info available.

You might want to Unhide your e-mail address Click on CONTROL CENTER in the red bar at the top of your post) so that other builder can contact you direct.

I'd bet that there are builders in your area that would be more than willing to give you a hand and show you the ropes. You can learn an awful lot by spending some time with an experienced builder

Also, go to YouTube and type in rodbuilding!! Just keep in mind that just because you see it on the internet doesn't mean that it's true LOL!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2011 04:13PM

Steve;
I noticed your web address indicates you reside in one of the Carolina's you may be relatively close to some builders who would be willing to assist you in your Quest.
Which state and town do you live in?

I second Mikes' suggestion concerning Mr. Kirkman's book

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2011 04:13PM by Steve Gardner.

Date: November 26, 2011 10:45PM

Steve Gardner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Steve;
> I noticed your web address indicates you reside in
> one of the Carolina's you may be relatively close
> to some builders who would be willing to assist
> you in your Quest.
> Which state and town do you live in?
>
> I second Mikes' suggestion concerning Mr.
> Kirkman's book

Steve:

I live in Charlotte,NC .That would be great. I'm open to adult supervision. lol

Date: November 26, 2011 10:46PM

David Dosser Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I use a dremel tool with a diamond wheel or a
> grinding wheel. The diamond wheel gives a
> smoother finish. On micro guides I just use a
> fine hand file or sand paper if needed.

David:

Thanks, I'm experimenting with a dremel now.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2011 09:51PM

Steve;
I would check with Chuck Payne.
If memory serves me correctly he lives in the Charlotte area. Do a search under his name and click on one of the links, then click on his name his Email address should pop up.

I live in the Seven Lakes area (near Pinehurst) and would be willing to offer some support, but my shop is down at the moment., moved a while back and am just now getting it set back up.

Posted by: Bill Cohen (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 30, 2011 09:20AM

Tom Kirkman has an excellent soft covered book very easy to understand and very thorough I highly recommend it of everyone's library

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster