I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Burnishing
Posted by: Steve Hanna (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: November 24, 2011 07:52PM

How do you burnish your thread ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Burnishing
Posted by: Col Chaseling (---.lnse4.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 24, 2011 08:24PM

Hi Steve,
From the outside to the middle of wraps. I use a gudebrod burnishing tool but many others are suitable including home made purpose built tools. Make sur there are no rough edges on your tool..

ESFNEM Col
Port Kembla, NSW
Australia

Posted by: Dale Holmes (---.lns1.dav.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 25, 2011 12:39AM

Well I don't burnish if I don't need to.

After starting the wrap I make sure its even and square to the blank, then I just keep on wrapping. If the thread goes on evenly, I will finish off the wrap without any burnshing.

Sometimes it might go a little bit wonky, particularly as you step up off the blank onto the guide foot, in which case I try and close up the thread gaps there and then, before going any further.

I generally wouldn't like to finish off a wrap and then have to go back and fix up any gaps that are back in the middle.

I'm only a beginner, but it seems to work fairly well!

The tool I use is like a thin piece of chrome rod, maybe 1/16" and 5" long, pointed on the end and mounted in a small wooden handle - purchased from one of the online shops. The brand is Kemper Tools.

Dale
Hobart, Tasmania, AUS

Date: November 25, 2011 10:23AM

Thanks Dale

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 25, 2011 10:32AM

Even when the wrap looks good Running a smooth object over it will help to push some threads down that got pushed up from packing to tight It helps

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 25, 2011 01:24PM

I would definitely burnish (particularly if I was using thread that was lighter than the blank (gaps have a way of showing up AFTER you apply finish. What looks like blotchy CP is usually blank showing through TINY gaps. Burnishing takes a couple minutes. Shortcuts have a habit of coming back and biting you!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2011 07:43PM

Steve,
I generally burnish all of the wraps - just to get a more uniform look and finish. I wraps tend to be very tight and even, but a burnish does even the thread even more.
I just generally run the power wrapper on high and run my burnishing tool while the power wrapper is running in the opposite direction from the direction that I normally wrap. This gives me the better smoothing action that I want, with no thread separation.

Roger

Posted by: michael bonanno (---.lnse5.cht.bigpond.net.au)
Date: November 26, 2011 05:02AM

hi steve,
always give the thread a rub with a burnishing tool , even if you think its perfect they will always will benifit from a rub.

Date: November 26, 2011 10:50PM

Mike Barkley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would definitely burnish (particularly if I was
> using thread that was lighter than the blank (gaps
> have a way of showing up AFTER you apply finish.
> What looks like blotchy CP is usually blank
> showing through TINY gaps. Burnishing takes a
> couple minutes. Shortcuts have a habit of coming
> back and biting you!

Hey Mike;
"
Thanks for the suggestion. I would rather take the extra step than have to go back and correct it, or look at it knowing I could have avoided it. P.S. I'm not retired but my wife calls me Mr. Nobody Tells me what to do"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster