I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Match for American Rodsmith rod
Posted by: Jay Cook (---.scansafe.net)
Date: November 21, 2011 09:27PM

Im looking for a blank that will match the action and power of an American Rodsmith rod. It is a 6'9" tops and tails model, 8-14 line, 1/16-1/2oz lure rod from their titanium series. Seems to have a moderate action but there site just rates it as medium/light. There's a good bit of bend to it. I don't know if medium/light means moderate fast or just moderate. Does anybody know this rod and maybe suggest a 7' blank? I could just try to match by the specs but I would rather hear from somebody that might have firsthand experiance. Cheap/expensive, doesn't matter, I just need to know what would be a close match. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Match for American Rodsmith rod
Posted by: Greg Marshall (---.northropgrumman.com)
Date: November 22, 2011 06:36AM

Jay,
"Medium/light" is in reference to power while "moderate/moderate fast" is a reference to action. Two different animals altogether. It's rated at medium/light because it handles 1/16 to 1/2 oz. lures. You say it appears to have a "good bit" of bend to it so it could probably well be a moderate or moderate fast action. That being said, all these terms are relative. What AR rates as medium light may be rated as light or medium elsewhere so you're correct that matching the specs would be less than optimal. The best way to match a blank, that I've found, is by comparing the blanks side by side. Bobby Feazel came out with a handy-dandy, spic and spandy little gadget for that a little while back but I don't know where you can find one today. If you'll really want one, Lance at Swampland can probably put you on it. He could probably also suggest a blank close to what you're' looking for. If you want a 7 footer that is comparable to that one, look at the Castaway 843P popping blank. The lure range on it is different (1/4 to 1/2) but I think you'll find it similar.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2011 07:57AM

i have a few of the original allstar blanks like you are talking about and they make some nice rods... take a look at the castaway 813...it is what you are talking about...if you want a 7' blank then look at an 843 popping blank...

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2011 09:44AM

Jay,
Take the rod with you to a blank or built up rod shop.
Check all of the blanks / rods in the shop until you get a match.

There are many many rods out there that can all be quite similar in action and power. Test and match.

Roger

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: November 22, 2011 12:32PM

Put the rod on a test fixture and measure it, then find a blank to match. With no test fixture you are shooting in the dark and you could spend a lifetime wiggling blanks and guessing. With a test fixture you will know the power (weight in grams or pennies to deflect 1/3 of blank length or working length) and deflection angle (action). Not rocket science, but science. Way better than the guessing game. I measure every blank and customer repair rod that I can get my hands on!

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fort-lauderdale-04rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: November 22, 2011 02:10PM

The Castaway 843P popping blank mentioned above would be good. Any popping blank rated up to 1/2 oz. lure and moderate to fast action will match it so closely you won't be able to tell a difference fishing with it. You can trim from the butt to match the length if you wish.

Posted by: Jay Cook (---.gt.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2011 03:16PM

Thanks for the responses to all. I understand that medium light is a reference to power, but that is what their website has listed under action, didn't make any sense.. That was my main reason coming here to ask if anybody was familiar with that rod. Also, I don't live close enough to a place that has rod building supplies to go compare blanks. For that reason, I come to you good folks. Seems like the suggestion for a popping blank has been brought up several times, so that is the direction I will go.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 24, 2011 07:58PM

Jay most graphite popping blanks are moderate action same as cranking blanks - tops and tails rods require fast action blanks fast action.

The ML pertains to the power - most of the time it will be reflected by a three power in most rod carrying that weight range.

The action of the blank is fast - most competitive graphite blanks for jerk and topwater rods are fast. action.

The Castaway XP 813 at 6' 9" or the Castaway 822 at 6' 10"are almost identical in power and action to your range.

The word description of the 813 is medium and the 822 is medium light.

Use the [www.swamplandtackle.com]- give us a call and we can assist you in getting the rod blank desired.

We use both of the above blanks for tops and tail for inshore guides signature rods..

There is another option on the table that produces an extremely valuable tops and tails blank.

Take a look at the RF Legacy Elite described in this link: - at the end of the text you wil see a load test comparison and see how the matching of blanks referred to in the above posts is done. [www.swamplandtackle.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster