I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Issues with prokote application
Posted by: Andrew Cake (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2011 12:49PM

So I use prokote medium build. I'm having issues with it comming up on the guides during the drying process. I use an 18rpm drying motor. Do I need a faster dryer? or am I using too much coating for the first coat?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Issues with prokote application
Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2011 12:56PM

It sounds like maybe too much finish. But what I'd recommend trying is after mixing let it stand in a tin for 10 - 12 minutes before applying.

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 16, 2011 01:21PM

It may also be that your dryer is actually too fast for that particular viscosity finish. It could be "throwing" the finish up the guide legs.

Posted by: ofer nadav (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2011 04:04PM

i use 15 rpm and it seems to work fine, but on thicker finishes i use my 10 rpm. need to watch the flow, applying too much heat will make it run too fast also.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 16, 2011 04:23PM

Sounds like too much finish Try after putting the finish on Stop the turner and with the guides Pointing Left or Right - so nothing goes to the ring - and let any excess drip off This also tells you that you do have too much on

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: john backos (---.nwrknj.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 16, 2011 04:51PM

I stop turning three times with the guides at 90, 180, and 270 deg from vertical and wick off the excess. Works fine even with micros.

Posted by: Andrew Cake (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2011 07:35PM

I really appreciate all the reccomendations. I'm gonna give all that a try and see what I get.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2011 09:17PM

Andrew,
Both slow down the dryer, and use less finish.
I suspect that it is a combination of both.

Roger

Posted by: JIM MOWL (---.stat.centurytel.net)
Date: November 17, 2011 09:48AM

Sounds like you rod may not be level in the drier. I use a line level on the blank while it is in the wrapper/drier.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2011 10:57AM

Andrew,
I use my power wrapper to wrap rods, apply finish and dry the rods. I have an adjustable speed control, so I can dial in a fixed speed for anything that I need.
I normally wrap at speeds up to 1000 rpm.
I normally apply finish at speeds up to about 200 rpm.
I then slow the dryer to about 20 rpm for a few minutes to insure that all is well.
But for the final drying, I slow the dryer to about 10 rpm.

I made the mistake of leaving the dryer at about 18-20 rpm for one rod, and ended up with a finish similar to what you describe. I am sure that the higher speed resulted in the finish tending to ball up a bit on each guide.

After that, I have made sure to always keep my final speed to the 10 rpm and have had no further issues.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster