I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Bass rod builders – Technique specific Opportunity
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2011 09:29AM

I don’t know how many of you keep up with current trends in tackle. There is a new bait called “the Alabama rig” which until a couple of weeks ago has pretty much been an under the radar garage bait.
But with the recent events on the FLW tour in which ALL the top 10 finishers used the same rig and the winner posting a102 lb four day total (20 bass).
It has become the hottest must have setup on the market. The company going from selling 5 to 20 a week to an over a five week plus back order problem, and anglers waiting in long lines forking out $25.00 a pop just to have one. The demand being so great that already Mann’s bait company has bought licensing to produce them.

This is not a normal set up and most anglers will do not have the rods to handle the rigs properly.
So here is a chance to start building them before the big companies have a chance to go through the research and development stages, support your customers, and make some profits in this hard economy.

I have been fishing this rig for a while and here are some of the challenges that need to be addressed when building for the A-rig. And couple of solutions for those interested.

1- This is one of the most taxing techniques I’ve ever fished! it will quite literally wear you out. Work to cast and harder work to reel in.

2- Because of its weight is hast to be “lobbed” out rather then cast.

3- It produces some of the most bone jarring startling strikes I’ve ever felt. They will almost rip the rod out of your hands.

4-Most of the guys fishing this setup are using heavy or extra heavy flipping sticks. The problem with that is that the fish hit so hard, they are many times ripping large holes in their faces allowing for them to get unbuttoned easily.

5- Fish hit so hard I’ve had them rip the jig head slap off the rig on the strike.

6- Depending on how it is set up, the rig usually weighs around 2.5 to 6 oz.

7- Anglers will be over taxing and snapping some of their rods in an effort to throw these babies. So when they bring back their broken custom rod you built for them last year. (Be sure to ask them what they were throwing when they broke it). It will save you some money

I have used and looked at several brands, models, and lengths of blanks while experimenting with this setup and here are some observations and suggestions based on what I’ve found and input from others.

1- Blanks need more flex in the tip than what heavy and extra heavy flipping blanks can offer.

2- Unless you go with a heavier (weight wise) blank. Straight fiberglass blanks do not have enough back bone and are too tiring over the course of the day. It is common to get two or more fish on at once, some times weighing 4 to 6 lbs each, which is why you need a good amount of back bone to handle fish.

3- Should be at least a 7-10 to 8 ft blank.
NOTE: If building for competition, many tournament circuits restrict finished rod lengths to 8 ft. max.

4- Suggest NOT using a shorter handle so rod can be braced against the arm or body for reeling, added length aids casting.

5- Because of its weight suggest using 65 to 100lb braid. I have back lashed with 50 lb braid and it snapped the bait clean off sending my $50.00 (rig, jigs, swim baits) into the deep.

Here is a suggestion based on the challenges with what I seen and dealt with.

Batsons;
ISWB945 7’10” rated for 2-6 oz baits Fast action med/heavy blank.

This blank was desingned to “lob” 2-6 oz baits. It will cast them easily reducing much of the work.
Has more flex in the tip helping to adjust for the vicious strikes, allowing for better hook ups and reducing damage to the fish.
The materials blend provides some of the forgiveness of fiberglass while keeping the weight down and maintaining a stronger back bone for controlling fish.

Although I prefer all graphite blanks for sensitivity. It is truly not needed with the way these fish strike.
If you have a client that wants an even stouter setup I would step up to the next model (ISWB946) but personally don’t think it is warranted.

Here a few links so you can get some intel on the baits;

[www.flwoutdoors.com]

[www.flwoutdoors.com]

[www.flwoutdoors.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bass rod builders – Technique specific Opportunity
Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.reliablehosting.com)
Date: November 16, 2011 09:34AM

Saltwater rod builders have been using that identical rig for about forty years now. Maybe check and see what rods they use with it?

Posted by: Ed Sabatini (---.guardster.com)
Date: November 16, 2011 09:42AM

It's called an "umbrella rig." It's for meat fishing. Somebody just moved it to freshwater and renamed it the "Alabama rig." Not new at all.

Posted by: Bruce Vetre (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2011 09:51AM

Hey Steve, thanks for the info, you've given some good insight.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: November 16, 2011 10:13AM

Steve,

Do you think a BB2 would be too light for this? My guess is that it will be.

Thanks,
Tom

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 16, 2011 10:22AM

I've always used trolling rods for umbrella rigs but then again, we were trolling.

Thanks for the info and research Steve.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 16, 2011 10:35AM

Doesn't really matter if it's new or not, it presents an opportunity for custom rod builders to fill a growing need for a specific group of fishermen.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 16, 2011 10:41AM

Thomas absolutely not a use for the BB2 no way no how!

Tip blow out assured with a graphite blank that will throw the lure..

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: November 16, 2011 10:42AM

Not illegal to build in Minnesota but have to go somewhere else to use them. This may apply to other states as well.

MN 2011 Fishing Regs
Anglers may use only one hook. An artificial lure is considered one hook. A treble hook, when not part of an artificial lure, is considered three hooks and is not legal....

Actually I'm surprised B.A.S.S. and FLW allow these types of rigs.

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2011 10:43AM by Chad Huderle.

Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 16, 2011 10:44AM

I made a couple of Alabama Rigs right after the Paul Elias FLW win on Guntersville

To throw it, and you had to lob it as Steve said I used my Frog Rod (Castaway 874 with 60 lb braid), and I was very happy with the rod's performance.
I tried my flipping stick, and did not like the combo at all.

I managed to catch one fish (about 3 1/2), and it about tore the rod out of my hands. We only used it one evening.

Right now on Guntersville, all you see being thrown are the Alabama Rigs. Every tackle shop has some knock offs.

I have since made a lighter version of my Alabama Rig, and poured some 1/8 oz jigs to use with it. My new version weighs .31 oz., so with 5 1/8 oz jigs, and 5 flukes, I should be about 2 oz.

Going to try Version 2 next week.

Hope this helps

Bert Nagy

Posted by: Robert Hudak (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 16, 2011 11:01AM

Thanks for the write up, Steve. We all know you didn't have to write it, thank you for taking the time to share.

Posted by: mike harris (---.cluster-h.websense.net)
Date: November 16, 2011 11:15AM

I have been using these for awhile and had a triple last Friday in prefishing. The rod I have been using works well but the blank is discontinued. It is an ATC V PV804, this is the same blank I use for deep crankbaits. It has a very slow taper and is small diameter and thick walled for toughness, I use a long 13.5in handle which makes it easy to lob cast and hold the butt against my body while retrieving the rig.

I believe that the best blank would be something like the new S Glass deep cranking blanks that Swampland has but with a stronger tip to allow casting the heavy weights. A glass blank should have the slower recovery we want to help keep the fish on sensitivity and setting the hook are not issues, like Steve said the strikes are violent and you are fishing with open jigheads.

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (74.143.90.---)
Date: November 16, 2011 11:16AM

Mr. Gardner -

What type of guide train seems to work best on setups like these?

Are you spiral wrapping the rod? With the opportunity to boat more than one fish on a cast, I couldn't think of a better reason to spiral wrap in order to prevent the rod twist/torque.

Thanks,

Jeremy W. Reeds
REED RODS
BENTON/LOUISVILLE, KY

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: November 16, 2011 11:48AM

Hello Steve

Been a while, how have you been (finger, thumb, hand)? Most of my mess has been taken care of as well as can be expected.

Good report and info, I have used these types of rigs trolling in the salt for years, but cranking them is something I had not even thought of doing.

I would think it would work well for tourney guy's & gal's!!
Most of what my customers and myself do is "sport" type fishing and this rig is more for tourney or meat fishing.

Does it seem to you that all the rigging takes most of the "sport" out of this rig?
Good talking to you and thanks for the time & effort.

Have a GREAT Season!!

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: November 16, 2011 12:07PM

Chad Huderle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not illegal to build in Minnesota but have to go
> somewhere else to use them. This may apply to
> other states as well.
>
>
> MN 2011 Fishing Regs
> Anglers may use only one hook. An artificial lure
> is considered one hook. A treble hook, when not
> part of an artificial lure, is considered three
> hooks and is not legal....
>
> Actually I'm surprised B.A.S.S. and FLW allow
> these types of rigs.

Dang! I am working on a rod to throw a gill net. ;)

Posted by: Chad Huderle (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: November 16, 2011 12:20PM

"Dang! I am working on a rod to throw a gill net. ;)"

Chuck, hope you can throw it a long ways...you'll need to reach at least to the state line! : )

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: Gary Snyder (12.77.249.---)
Date: November 16, 2011 01:21PM

Do you think they will make it illegal in tournaments in the future?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 16, 2011 01:24PM

I shouldn't even get involved with an opinion on the future legality of such a thing, but looking where it could lead (multiple crankbaits or a dozen spinnerbaits on a single rig to mimic a school of baitfish) I feel certain that it won't be legal for long.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: November 16, 2011 02:19PM

Bill,

thanks for the update! I was thinking that it wouldn't be a match for it, but I sure do love that one for punching!

Tom

Posted by: ofer nadav (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: November 16, 2011 04:14PM

can't see that being legal for tournament fishing. but i would make one up for myself just for a more active day on the lake...:)

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster